Sponsored by:

Bilstein PSS10 niggle - bits...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 02:00 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS10 niggle - bits...

Nothing is as easy as it seems. :-(. Firstly after 500 miles of installation my fronts dropped 15mm? Is that much of a settling for the springs normal? I am to low now, I will lift back up and I guess I have to redo my alignment? Secondly, as the car is lowered does the steering get heavier? Also self-centring slower? As my car was settling (dropping) my steering was getting firmer. Increased load on springs? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:38 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

This is interesting to me as I just had the PSS10's installed on my 05 turbo. I have driven about 600 miles and have not sensed any additional drop at the front. Is this a common experience from others out there????
Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Depends on the spring rate, many will settle a bit. The steering feel is related to the steering angle sensor which needs to be reset each time the ride ht is changed. You need a PWIWS to reset the sensor, so might have to go to a dealer.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:16 AM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I do not think the 996 turbos have a steering angle sensor. It is my understanding that applies only to the 997 model.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porscheralph
I do not think the 996 turbos have a steering angle sensor. It is my understanding that applies only to the 997 model.
Can we confirm this? Anyone?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to hear from the experts, but have read that any alignment or suspension change must be followed by resetting the steering sensor in the 996TT. Hopefully one of our resident tech gurus will chime in.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:39 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I would like to hear from the experts, but have read that any alignment or suspension change must be followed by resetting the steering sensor in the 996TT. Hopefully one of our resident tech gurus will chime in.
I just found this in the 911 Turbo workshop manual.

WARNING

Warning only applies to vehicles with PSM (only 911 Turbo)!

Danger of injury and damage to property due to malfunctions in the PSM control range if the steering angle sensor is not calibrated or is calibrated incorrectly!

Calibrate steering angle sensor with wheels in straight−ahead position with the Porsche System Tester 2!

The steering angle sensor actual value must be checked after a suspension alignment where no changes were made to the wheel alignment values!

I guess it needs to be done. I am off to dealership to get this reset in a few days when I am sure suspension is truly settled.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:01 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Today I was at Porsche dealer. Bearing in mind I've had PSS10's fitted, car lowered and have carried out an alignment, after they have checked my "steering angle sensor for calibration" guess what? No changes or recalibration of steering angle sensor or PSM were required. All perfect. So, this workshop procedure is probably BS and you needn’t bother.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I asked my tech about this today and he said that if the car has been in an accident and the front end is out of whack, then the steering sensor needs to be reset, otherwise probably not.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:29 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The SAS should be reset everytime you change the rd ht on a 996tt or c4s, when I didn't do it on my c4s with the x73, the steering was looser, once I reset it, tight again.
I think if the SAS is within spec it's bc you have a RoW car which already sits 10mm lower than a US spec car, so the difference is less.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS10 niggle - bits...