Sponsored by:

Tranny rebuild advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:17 PM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny rebuild advice?

I posted to a couple of other forums about tranny rebuilds this morning, but thought I would extend this out to those not subscribed to those threads/forums. I have a feeling this is going to start happening to a few others.

I thought I would stop ignoiring my 2nd gear pop out and fix it, while tearing the tranny apart found that my 2, 3 and 5 gears are in serious need of replacement. I remember reading about the 5 and 6 gear lube/cooling issues last year but it didnt directly pertain to me so...

My knowledgable and trusty tech basically says that any increase in power significantly heats up the tranny, especially when driving triple speed limit speeds while in Mexico, the GT2 has increased lube to the 5/6 gears but not the turbo, it's just a matter of time.

Since I am rebuilding my tranny, I am considering a cooler, circ pump and seriously thinking about re-gearing to match Z06 1st shift point, quicker 60-130 and slight higher top speed, I will definitely do steel synchos while I am there.

Does anyone else have any real world experience. advice ? Anything you want to keep quiet for whatever reason, please PM or number and we cna discuss.

//Anders
Old 06-05-2009, 02:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Send a PM to Tom Kerr (tkmerrmd)
IIRC, he went thru this on his track 996TT
Old 06-05-2009, 02:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...t-welcome.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ny-cooler.html
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks LTC, I was looking at some of Toms posts on 6speed, he's definitely BT/DT.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Of course, when it comes to Porsche transmissions, Brian Copans is the first name that comes to mind.
I would suggest soliciting his thoughts/opinions...IIRC, Tom did that a while back.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ltc
Of course, when it comes to Porsche transmissions, Brian Copans is the first name that comes to mind.
I would suggest soliciting his thoughts/opinions...IIRC, Tom did that a while back.
+1,000,000,000,000

There's Brian Copans.....................and then there's a bunch of guys learning by working on your box. Brian does nearly all of the transmissions for the US based Porsche race teams. He is VERY busy during the race season. If you can wait, use him after the summer is over.

Cheers,
Old 06-05-2009, 11:53 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deepblue
I posted to a couple of other forums about tranny rebuilds this morning, but thought I would extend this out to those not subscribed to those threads/forums. I have a feeling this is going to start happening to a few others.

I thought I would stop ignoiring my 2nd gear pop out and fix it, while tearing the tranny apart found that my 2, 3 and 5 gears are in serious need of replacement. I remember reading about the 5 and 6 gear lube/cooling issues last year but it didnt directly pertain to me so...

My knowledgable and trusty tech basically says that any increase in power significantly heats up the tranny, especially when driving triple speed limit speeds while in Mexico, the GT2 has increased lube to the 5/6 gears but not the turbo, it's just a matter of time.

Since I am rebuilding my tranny, I am considering a cooler, circ pump and seriously thinking about re-gearing to match Z06 1st shift point, quicker 60-130 and slight higher top speed, I will definitely do steel synchos while I am there.

Does anyone else have any real world experience. advice ? Anything you want to keep quiet for whatever reason, please PM or number and we cna discuss.

//Anders
been there done that, call me 813-541-4931

Last edited by tkerrmd; 06-06-2009 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
+1,000,000,000,000

There's Brian Copans.....................and then there's a bunch of guys learning by working on your box. Brian does nearly all of the transmissions for the US based Porsche race teams. He is VERY busy during the race season. If you can wait, use him after the summer is over.

Cheers,
True and not true. Mr.Copans is the main guy. He will make you a transmission according to Porsche rules and regulations/specs. Will he modify the second gear fork to avoid the problem happening again...I was told he could not do so or risk losing his status with Porsche. My contacts run in the Rolex GT/Lemans pit crew crowd and such, and work on many cup cars. They have known him for years and years.

Long story short, I wanted a FIX that would prevent the problem from happening again (expensive...), so I went with another route. In my case, DAS in Philly. Copans is the man, but he will get you back to day 1 of the car....and I am of the opinion that the design from the factory is flawed.

My car now lacks that flaw. Your call. See the long, long thread on the subject on 6speedonline. Contact data are there for various people that have dealt with the problem.

Nothing against Mr. Copans. If I had the contract with Porsche to fix their units and I was told they had to be a certain spec, period, I'd do that too.

I just don't want the forum members here thinking that everyone else is a dodo and cannot do the work. Many great shops exist that can handle tranny work. Many out there cannot.

S-car-go (CA), Vortex (FL), DAS (PA) come to mind from my search days. I am sure many more exist.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
True and not true. Mr.Copans is the main guy. He will make you a transmission according to Porsche rules and regulations/specs. Will he modify the second gear fork to avoid the problem happening again...I was told he could not do so or risk losing his status with Porsche. My contacts run in the Rolex GT/Lemans pit crew crowd and such, and work on many cup cars. They have known him for years and years.

Long story short, I wanted a FIX that would prevent the problem from happening again (expensive...), so I went with another route. In my case, DAS in Philly. Copans is the man, but he will get you back to day 1 of the car....and I am of the opinion that the design from the factory is flawed.

My car now lacks that flaw. Your call. See the long, long thread on the subject on 6speedonline. Contact data are there for various people that have dealt with the problem.

Nothing against Mr. Copans. If I had the contract with Porsche to fix their units and I was told they had to be a certain spec, period, I'd do that too.

I just don't want the forum members here thinking that everyone else is a dodo and cannot do the work. Many great shops exist that can handle tranny work. Many out there cannot.

S-car-go (CA), Vortex (FL), DAS (PA) come to mind from my search days. I am sure many more exist.

Jeff
Who specifically is "DAS in Philly"?
Old 06-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

tom, who did your rebuild? and are you satisfied with all the upgrades? what temps are you seeing?
Old 06-06-2009, 03:18 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

DAS (the bar people, his son owns/started CDOC..) is Dougherty Automotive Services. These people know Porsches and racing.

They saved me at a DE when my slave/accumulator let go...

Here is their shop link.

http://www.doughertyautomotive.com/data/about.html

There were 2 or 4 cup cars in the shop every time I showed up, and about 12 other PCA club racing cars of one sort of another, I saw a cup car tranny in parts, etc. Nice guys. Saw my gears in a box and the damage....the design "stock" does not have a lot of material holding the torque in 2nd gear. That is the real issue in my mind (and my mechanic's...and the people I had join the 6speed thread on this subject). Tom Kerr's mechanic had the same opinion, if it matters.

Paul Schwartz did my car. Nicest guy. Super smart. It is still just like butter shifting it, over one year later. Better than new per many that have tried it out. Feel free to contact them to find out what they did. They started on the Copans is best mantra with me, I was stubborn, and so were they. The did, however, show willingness to review the issues I noted to them and do their on research on the subject. In the end, I have a modified tranny that is, in my mind, how it should have been from the factory. We are talking only moving a few mm of metal of the fork...but it made all the difference,

Just sharing data. I think if the car had a perfect design, Copans is your man...it doesn't and I spent my money accordingly. I never missed a shift, and am "nice" to my car. I am the second owner and there were blue jean rivet dents to take out of my fenders when I got her (talk about an annoying thing to spend money on....but they are gone)....the PPI was fine from a Boston speed shop, but I suspect the PO was a hard core 0-60 type. I am not.

DAS was fantastic. I cannot say enough good things about them.

Jeff
Old 06-06-2009, 04:42 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
tom, who did your rebuild? and are you satisfied with all the upgrades? what temps are you seeing?
ViperBob directed it at Vortex in Tampa. very high quality and we did alot of neat trick stuff. it has been bullet proof since. the fluid temps run around 220 on the track and 150 on the street.

Quick Reply: Tranny rebuild advice?