Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How tough is the 996 tt engine for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo engine is the GT1.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by wrc69v
Itc, What is the proper cool down for the turbos?
In short, since these are not water cooled turbos, you don't want to just shut the car off after high temperature operation, like on track.
(FWIW, AFAIK and IIRC, the last production water cooled Turbo Porsche was the 944 Turbo/951)

On the cool down lap after the checkers, stay off the gas (no boost), coast as much as is both possible and safe (good for engine as well as brakes), and when you pull off track, you can let the car idle for ~ 5 minutes, then shut off the car.
Some people will also take the car for a short drive around the paddock/surrounding area (again, no boost) and then let the car idle for a few minutes then shut it off.

The basic idea is to get the oil to circulate and thus cool down the oil and therefore the turbos.

Now there is debate on how long to idle, the amount of heat soak/temperature rise when idling, etc.... but again, the general idea is to NOT shut the car off after a high heat load activity.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:01 PM
irie1029
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously after tracking and cool down lap idle 5 minutes on 2001 996 tt? Wow learn every day.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:10 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No issues. I suspect it will be hard to find a better engine.

It would be cheaper to get a used full time track car and some sort of sedan, but it will be a lot less fun. I have a TT as my DD....it is way fun. I had two kid seats in it, down to one booster and the other sits on the rear as a sort of 8 to 13yo space. The car is great for kids IMHO.

All things break. Follow proper maintenance, and let it IDLE for 2 minutes every time. Even when you are late for dinner times.....trust me...and you should have a keeper. You'll be changing things in no time: boost, brakes, suspension, etc. Good luck.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Bryce
Instructor

Yeah, the manual says that you have to cool down the turbos after "hard or long drives." On my daily commute I don't bother, since I rarely boost more than a few seconds. If I drive > 30 miles I will idle for a minute. If I go nuts on the track or streets all day then I'll cool down a couple minutes.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

These Engines are bullet proof with proper care.
For track work you need these to high revs they have brute low and mid range torque .
BTW
PM me I can save $20 k
Elliot
Old 06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Colt45ccg
Intermediate

I'm sure it will survive....
Old 06-18-2009, 07:35 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it will be fine especially at your level of driving, ie no roll cage no harnesses no HANS device maybe just street tires. the car for casual DE's several times a year I would assume would last forever. So far I have only blown one TT engine at the track in about 5 years so I guess not too bad.
my only recommendation would be to keep the boost down and run race gas at the track for added protection from detonation.
my current unmodded GT2 engine with hybrid turbos and external waste gates races monthly, full out wheel to wheel and the engine is fine. I will rebuild it next year however.
glad you are interested in the track. the stock TT for casual DE's will be superior to all the other Porsches except the stock GT3. if you ever do start to push it you will find it very heavy and poor brakes for a track car. that will then mean it is time to get a track car.....
good luck, if you need track suggestions I am full of them!

the few pics below have a few suggestions to make it a better track car, but family may not like it...

Old 06-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 seats!!!

i worked that on MY wife 30 yrs and 9 P-cars ago!!!

roy
Old 06-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

I've owned mine since February of 2007 and it's seen 28 track days so far. In 2009 we decided to take a year off to finish up the track car and remodel our kitchen (and spend time traveling to places other than the racetracks of our fine land!) so the Porsche gets a break and has been transformed back into a daily driver street car for the moment...

It does all things very well. You wont' be disappointed!

Oh, and five minutes to cool down after a track session, really? I never have let my car cool down that long and think it's overkill... When you're done with a session, let it idle while you get your helmet off and chat with your instructor... pop the rear deck lid and let the engine bay cool... Idling for no more than 2 minutes tops, and honestly I don't think I even did that much... I'd take tire temps before coming into the pits (out on the "real" pit lanes at the tracks we run) and then idle the car thru the pits back to my trailer... Never let the car idle for 5 mnutes minimum and don't know where you got that idea... That said, my car has fresh oil and tranny fluid before each track weekend...

Mike
Old 06-23-2009, 12:34 PM
irie1029
Advanced

Had my first DE since buying my tt. What a blast.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny.....
I specifically chose my car cuz of the 4 seats.

As for turbos.....I only have non-Porsche experience....
Cool down is a must. Not for the engine, but for the turbos themselves. Usually a minute or two after really hard driving is enough. If you want, you can always setup a turbo timer (I would think), but I found them to be more headaches then they are worth.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 75 Posts

Can't setup a turbo timer on the 996TT... No way, no how... There have been many folks who have inquired about this in the past... No way to easily integrate a timer into the ignition system of the 996TT.

Mike

Quick Reply: How tough is the 996 tt engine for track days?