X50 For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

So I take it You 3 do not believe me...
It's not that I think you made up the "white car" engine issue, I just have information that contradicts what you've been told. The fault is with the person or persons that told you Porsche always puts the strongest motors off the engine dyno in white cars. Porsche simply doesn't do this.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
It's not that I think you made up the "white car" engine issue, I just have information that contradicts what you've been told. The fault is with the person or persons that told you Porsche always puts the strongest motors off the engine dyno in white cars. Porsche simply doesn't do this.
This is according to You and Your sources, according to me and my sources they did...I told You mine, also dyno figures on several cars backing it up I find very interesting. Like I said, it is what it is. Perhaps this has changed over the years recently in the mass production product line, certainly was the case for the lower production models/years.

Best regards,
White Car Extra HP Urban Legend Dispenser...
Glen
Old 05-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glen,
I like your sig...
Old 05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Loren
462 HP for a MY2003 X51
Loren,

Curious - where did this graphic come from? I'm trying to find more information on the M96 engine - particularly the true dry-sumped one used in the 996TT. So far, I've actually unearthed a source that calls the GT2 engine the M96/70S. Additionally, any resources you have on the history of the engine would be appreciated. I know the words "Le Mans", "GT1", and "964" will probably come up in docs like that, but the specifics I have yet to master!

Thanks!
Justin
Old 05-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
This is according to You and Your sources, according to me and my sources they did...I told You mine, also dyno figures on several cars backing it up I find very interesting. Like I said, it is what it is.
Great news that your Turbo dynos higher than what the factory publishes! Of course this in no way confirms PAG always installs their strongest engines in White cars.

Perhaps this has changed over the years recently in the mass production product line, certainly was the case for the lower production models/years.
Certainly not the case. When I checked with Porsche regarding this issue, I specifically asked about ALL 996 Turbo model years.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Dr.D
Advanced

Makes me wonder, if they put the strongest dyno'd engine in the white cars, what color did they pick for the engine that dyno'd the worst???
Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh God, I hope it's not Arctic Silver !!!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you'd need to dyno 50 identical cars on the same day to reach statistical significance on a horsepower variation of 15. Something like 10 cars in each of 5 colors. Might need 100, depending on variation., How does one really relate your shop's chassis dyno readings to Porsche's factory engine dyno? That requires an estimate (read guess) of drivetrain losses, plus correction for humidity, pressure, temperature, air flow. Personally, I believe my "to order" Casablanca Beige Metallic X50 makes more hp than your white one.
Is there any difference between the 02 X50 and 02 GT2 motor? Are we guessing that Porsche put the higher hp motors in the GT2, or just under-reported the X50? I think later GT2's had an ecu recallibration. AS
Old 05-14-2009, 03:29 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just FYI- the exhaust installed on the X50 is actually different than the GT2 exhaust. Also DME programming is different.

So I am not sure the OP has it right that the motor is 'identical' to the GT2. Of course I might be wrong, him being a Porsche factory insider and all.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canysmc
Serious?
Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
What seems unserious? The asking price seems high, but the owner can always come down. I have an 02 X50 (ordered by me, listed and initially sold to me for $143,000) that the dealer estimated as worth high 30's to him. Worth much more to me and clearly current owner of above car thinks so too. But, i understand no tt's are selling today. AS
Originally Posted by adam_
Just FYI- the exhaust installed on the X50 is actually different than the GT2 exhaust. Also DME programming is different.

So I am not sure the OP has it right that the motor is 'identical' to the GT2. Of course I might be wrong, him being a Porsche factory insider and all.
Alexander Stemer: The price isn't the unseriousness of the issue you think it to be...

I wanted to know how serious this statement is: "Same Motor As GT2 of course"
Old 05-14-2009, 05:12 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Is there any difference between the 02 X50 and 02 GT2 motor? Are we guessing that Porsche put the higher hp motors in the GT2, or just under-reported the X50? I think later GT2's had an ecu recallibration. AS
"M96/70E turbocharged engine as fitted to X50 optioned cars and turbo S included K24 turbos, upgraded intercoolers and reprogrammed ECU. M96/70S engine as fitted to MkI GT2 included all above plus revised exhaust silencers. M96/70SL as fitted to 2004 MkII GT2 included above plus minor internal modifications to pistons, rings and valves plus revised software."
Old 05-14-2009, 10:12 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canysmc
I wanted to know how serious this statement is: "Same Motor As GT2 of course"
Because the statement "Same Motor As GT2 of course" could lead a potential buyer to think this white Turbo has the same horsepower/torque as the GT2? That this car is essentially a GT2 with AWD?
Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car sold at a very good price. Tried to talk the wife into a TT. Not going to fly.

I have always felt the X50 and GT2 engine were the same in all the areas that really matter. If indeed the exhaust is different and the ECU map is different it really does not matter. My gut feel tells me Porshe had to differ the specs to justify a $50k upcharge for essentially "less car" in the GT2.
There is a reason Porsche is the most profitable car company.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:17 AM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if Porsche actually dynos these engines before they are installed ?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:09 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Ditto. Come on Glen...someone was yanking your chain.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com

Quick Reply: X50 For Sale