Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - brake duct install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The rear 997 ducts can be used on a 996TT. Some minor mods are needed. Also, I use some tie wraps to hold them in place along with the upper bracket. They do not take well to off track activies. The upper bracket will tend to break off very easy.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

ditto viperbob on the zip ties, this is my 3rd set. this is how I installed mine simple and easy.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Cannon, those numbers are all for front ducts. Those rears are the ones I'm using. Just zip tie them in place, and don't go off roading or you'll loose them. Good luck!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:39 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boss351
I ended up trimming a little off the end closest to the rotor, otherwise at full lock inwards it was pushing and buckling the duct. Also slit the other end and it slots in place nicely with the under tray plastic:

I fitted my 996 GT2 front ducts today, but I see that they are slightly different to those in these photos. They are pretty much the same shape but a single piece not a multi piece pop riveted together. I had to cut a horizontal line through the front hole as shown above but didn't have to cut anything away from the back. They clipped and sat in place nicely. They are pretty low too, the bottoms are about in line with the bottom of the rims.

I just need to buy a set for the rear now as well as the GT2 backing plates.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:44 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Originally Posted by Oak
yes the ducts along with the backing plate. simple backing plate swap and duct attachment.

Why are the GT2 backing plates so aggressively cut back, at best you'd only need to trim a little off at the bottom to open it up for the airflow? In fact you might get away without cutting them back at all.

Have you got any other photos how how they fit up?
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

After fitting my GT2 fronts a few weeks ago I fitted the rears yesterday. This is what you get in the kit, the part numbers (L&R) are 996 331 127 90 and 996 331 128 90.

I found that the left one was a bit of a battle to fit where as the right one went on really easily. However for both I found that when your wheels fully hang down the end of the spoiler touches on the cross brace under the car:

So I went about filing a scollop out of both so this didn't happen. On the road it wouldn't be an issue, but when you put your car on a 2 post hosit it would stress the plastic and either crack them or pop them off the brackets

You slip them on the arms from the front and once I got them to fit nicely with the suspension hanging down, you slide the bracket on from the back and insert two expanding nuts from the top through the duct and the bracket, and one from the rear.

And then you are done. Whenever I pull my rotors off I will trim the backing plate to allow more air to go directly on to the back of the disc.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:27 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,124 Posts

That's interesting. My rear ducts were a direct drop in and did not require any trimming at all. They do not make any contact with anything even when the suspension is are at its full extension on a lift. My fronts also fit without any mods whatsoever...
Old 05-05-2016, 06:03 PM
ghostofpain
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Fitted mine the other day at the rear and not cutting at all was needed.
Plug&play
I just need to trim my brake backing plates so the air can go directly to the brakes.

Quick Reply: Help - brake duct install