Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone need to keep an eye on tire pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 PM
MitchW
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

It has come up that the valve stem for this TPMS unit will not fit hollow TT twist wheels. Excuse my ignorance, but aren't those the stock 996 TT wheels (mine is a 2004), or are the standard wheels maybe not hollow?

Thanks for any clarification.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by MitchW
It has come up that the valve stem for this TPMS unit will not fit hollow TT twist wheels. Excuse my ignorance, but aren't those the stock 996 TT wheels (mine is a 2004), or are the standard wheels maybe not hollow?

Thanks for any clarification.
Same question I had... our hollow wheels use a different valve stem...
Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 AM
timf
Intermediate

Default Working on a solution...

I had a couple of chats with Nigel at Orange and discovered that with a simple modification it should be possible to install the sensors on turbo twist hollow spoke wheels.

According to Nigel it's possible to attach the sensors to our narrow valve stems by drilling and tapping the valve stem to accept the M5.0x0.8 screws which come with the kit. The mounting screws have holes thru' them for air inflation purposes.

However I'm not sure the screws would actually be long enough to have more than a few turns engaged - not good imho.

Question - before I unmount my tires and do this mod, does any have a turbo twist valve which they could measure to make sure there's enough 'meat' in the valve stem wall to accommodate the drill / tap ?

Question - has anyone done this yet ?

I think I'm going to buy a regular valve stem for experimental purposes and contact Nigel at Orange to see if he has made any progress on the special valve stems for hollow turbo twists.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
RSA333
Racer

Having tracked my 997-based cars with TPMS, I can tell you the OEM is a POS when it comes to 'limits'. You have to take the pressures by hand at the track, because there is a complete lack of agreement with the 'automated' system for measuring tire pressure. Again, this is not just one car that I had the problem with - they all act the same, be it a TT or a GT3RS.

May be fine for street driving only.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I've had the smartire system for years and it works great. even swap between street and track wheels no prob. customize and set low pressure values for early warning, set high pressure, high temps etc..

Quick Reply: anyone need to keep an eye on tire pressure?