RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Maybe do it yourself? It's WAY cheaper.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 PM
never stcok
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe diverters, but dont have the time/desire to do the plugs myself. DIY on diverters?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

DVs are also DYI...and small hands help.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a mechanic did the dv's for me and i'm glad he did. no way in hell can my hands install the dv towards the rear. i recently changed the plugs and replaced all coils at the same time.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the DV's scare folks because of all the references to small hands....I'm no experienced mechanic, but I followed the DIY procedures that had some pictures and managed the whole project in about 1.5 hours. The most difficult part was getting to that back DV...and I don't have particularly small hands...they were a bit scuffed up at the end, and I did exercise my vocabulary a few times.

If you do decided to DIY, get rid of the OEM clamps and put in the stainless screw type. I ended up with one of the OEM clamps leaking and had to go back in and re-do the clamps. Also, get the DV's that have a 90 degree hose connector rather than the type that comes straight up from the top....makes the install much easier.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Snap if the engine is getting dropped down...indy's can do so 1-2" seemingly pretty fast...way more room then....what my indy did.

JB
Old 02-25-2009, 04:08 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First time doing both so it was slower than it should have been, but I did both of those and the DV's took about 1.5-2 hours. The majority of the install is a piece of cake other than the back DV with the clamp facing the front of the engine (who's the idiot at Porsche that thought that was a good idea).

The Plugs and coil replacement took about 6 hours total. Again not difficult, but time consuming. I did the plugs over a Friday night/Saturday morning. Basically took everything apart Friday night then put it all back on Saturday morning. I believe that the dealer charges 8 hours for the plug replacement so about $1000 depending on their rate.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

My local dealership wanted $1200 for the "service"....the worst part is just taking out the wheel liners to get to the coil packs and plugs. Might as well check your coil pack retainers while your'e looking in there. Some of them crack on one side right where the bolt hole goes.

Also, when you put your intercooler hoses back in, there's a wire clip....make sure the clip is oriented the right way, then put a little WD 40 on the connection point and jam it in till it CLICKS....if it doesn't click, you will blow the hose out at around .5 bar and you'll drop off boost....don't let that freak you out, it just means you didn't get it in tight....stop and jam the hose back in again. I went thru the trouble of taking everything apart the first time it happened and carefully reassembling it, then my indy laughed at me and said....you didn't need to do all that...here's what you do....and he grabbed the hose like a sadistic neurosurgeon with a hammer and jammed it in the receiver and yanked on it till he was satisfied that it was goiing to stay....and it did.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info! I am going to do plugs and an air filter soon! Have some KY PCA guys hanging out that have done it before! Thanks to Mark at Bluegrass Porsche for offering a garage with lift!!!

Never worked on a Porsche before, should be fun! Putting in some Denso Iridium's.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:13 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

300 for plugs or less....indy. ....
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My DVs were replaced with Bailey DVs under warranty. My Mechanic did the change in about 45 minutes.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 AM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer charged me $500 to change the sparks. I was tol the rear bumper must come off in order to make the job easier.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

The rear bumper does come off becasue it wraps around where the intercoolers are...but the heat shield doesn't have to come off. We took it off as the DIY instructions suggested but after taking it off, we looked at it and decided that there was really no reason to take it off. You do have to bend up the shield on the sides to access the spark plugs and for the faint of heart it's tantamount to heresy....but it bends right back. I had a mild siezure when Loren bent it up to expose the plugs but these cars are really quite stout and dont' require the light touch we seem to want to give them all the time. I think we tend to ***** foot around things too much....like taking off the wheel linings.....once you get the retainer clips and the screws out, it's muscle-it-out time....not gingerly spending an hour trying to get it out without putting the slightest crease or mark on it.

Quick Reply: How many hours labor to replace plugs,diverter valves,..do I need