Sponsored by:

Question for the 600+ hp guys

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for the 600+ hp guys

Have any of you 600+ hp guys had significant or numerous long term reliability issues with this type package (upgraded turbos, headers, exhaust,boost hoses, fuel pressure regulator and programming, clutch and intercoolers)? I'm going to take the 600 hp plunge and am using an excellent tuning shop, but still wanted to be sure from real-life experiences that this type of hp increase doesn't invite engine/tranny problems. Thanks. GBG
Old 02-25-2009, 11:50 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm curious as well.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no real problems yet. I drive my car 99% at the track. with 2 hard years on it and the set up you describe, car runs like a clock.

and I am talking hard redline screaming driving!!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Al Pettee
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm up to 700HP and the only issues I have had include two stock Bosch MAF's blown, now on Hitachi with no failures, two wastegate rod snappings, one stock, one EVOMS' "older" upgrade, both of which are not tranny or internal engine-related. The Sachs/EVOMS level 3 clutch was also scraped down to nothing and needed replacement last summer. That, and many, many sets of Michelin PS2 tire replacements-one rear set lasted only 400 miles.

Last edited by Al Pettee; 02-26-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: More information
Old 02-26-2009, 09:43 AM
GBG
Pro

Thanks Tom and Al. This is completely consistent with what I've heard elsewhere from experts and non-experts alike, i.e., these engines can easily handle 600 bhp with no issues whatsoever.

My car is undergoing the 600 upgrade as we speak...

Gary
Old 02-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Shane D
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by GBG
Thanks Tom and Al. This is completely consistent with what I've heard elsewhere from experts and non-experts alike, i.e., these engines can easily handle 600 bhp with no issues whatsoever.

My car is undergoing the 600 upgrade as we speak...

Gary
Just out of curiosity, who are you using for your upgrade? I am always interested in hearing shop experiences, good and bad.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Accelerator
Racer

l have about 20 months and 4K+ miles on my setup with absolutely no problems related to the engine or driveline components. Broke numerous waste gate actuator rods before I finally went to externals. Blew boost hose loose twice but other than that, nothing.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:46 PM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by Shane D
Just out of curiosity, who are you using for your upgrade? I am always interested in hearing shop experiences, good and bad.
Shane, I did a lot of research both on and off the Boards. My conclusion was that there are lots of good 600 "kits" and plenty of excellent shops, so really what it came down to for me was (1) reputation for excellence, (2) demonstrated expertise in tuning 996 TTs, (3) proximity to my home in case there's an issue down the road, and (4) responsiveness and attentiveness to my questions and concerns. As I said, I bet there are number of shops that would do a great job, but I chose FarnbacherLoles in Danbury.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Shane D
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GBG
Shane, I did a lot of research both on and off the Boards. My conclusion was that there are lots of good 600 "kits" and plenty of excellent shops, so really what it came down to for me was (1) reputation for excellence, (2) demonstrated expertise in tuning 996 TTs, (3) proximity to my home in case there's an issue down the road, and (4) responsiveness and attentiveness to my questions and concerns. As I said, I bet there are number of shops that would do a great job, but I chose FarnbacherLoles in Danbury.
From what I have heard, expensive but very good. Kinda like Ruf I guess.
As I try to narrow down my decision and then decide on what to do later, I am VERY handicapped by the fact that we do have any great Porsche shops in this part of Canada.
I think it would be worth a large premium to use a shop that was say within an hours drive, should anything untoward happen.

Love to hear your reaction after the "tune-up".

Good luck!!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine has had the K16/24 turbos since 2002 and has been making power above 500WHP since that time. The car has suffered ZERO issues with maintenance or running, other than killing a clutch when I upgraded the software to Kevin's KILLER tune.

2009 and 7 years later, and no issues with the car running, and the car now has 21K miles on it. The car has seen some extensive hard track driving, along with daily driver in the nations second worst traffic, Washington DC.

Mike
Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You're gonna be fine Gary, you picked one of the best places in the country to take your car, I'm going back for a little work in March myself, hope my stock clutch can take it!
Their prices are actually very reasonable to boot.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:01 PM
GBG
Pro

Thanks Chris.

When I filled out the paperwork for Kip, I put down your name on the form as having recommended me. My job wasn't exactly peanuts in terms of $$, so when you head up there you may want to subtly remind Kip about my car. You really should get some sort of small referral "freebie". Let me know what you end up with!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

You're welcome, just happy to turn another RLr onto a quality shop. I don't need or want any freebies, thanks anyway.
enjoy
c
Old 03-01-2009, 11:02 PM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
...I don't need or want any freebies, thanks anyway.
enjoy
c
Didn't mean to offend you. Just thought you deserved some appreciation from F-L for referring business to them, which I assume is fairy typical in the industry.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Last edited by GBG; 03-01-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:18 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

No offense taken, I was just happy to make the referral.
So, how is it?
C

Quick Reply: Question for the 600+ hp guys