Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 996 Turbo on CL - Good Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:06 AM
remedy451
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 996 Turbo on CL - Good Deal?

Hey Folks,

I'm a newbie here and am considering purchasing a 2002 911 Turbo listed on Craigslist (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1036299910.html).

Any thoughts on the price the seller is asking would be greatly appreciated as well as any specific items/issues that I should be looking for. Unfortunately I am not able to personally inspect the vehicle myself as I am located in Calgary, Canada - however, the seller is taking the vehicle this weekend to a friend of mine that lives in the Bay Area who will give it a once over.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 AM
shawsan
Instructor

Assuming the car is in top shape (visually + mechanically checks out), has no stories, and assuming it's the color combo you really like (yellow with black aftermarket wheels), then I'd say the price is OK. Btw. 2002 onwards is preferred. The ad claims "only" 46K miles, and while that's nothing for a high end german car, the price would be great if the car had <30K miles. Presuming you are going to bring the car to Canada, and expressing the overall price in Cdn $$, you'll be paying $46.5K multiplied by the exchange rate (1.20), then multiplied by duty (1.06). Canada customs will apply the 6% duty to the value of the car in Cdn dollars at the exchange rate that applies the day you bring it into Canada. So, this brings the overall cost up to $58,590. To transport or drive the car, add $1000, other small importation fees of $300, then another $450 to get the running lights, odometer conversion, Cdn. inspection etc. So, in total you're around $60K Canadian. One might therefore ask, can you get a 2002 996TT with equivalent or less mileage for $60K in Canada? Like you, I responded to the pull of the US market too, but when the exchange rate was near parity. I bought a 2002 996 Ruf Rturbo with 16K miles.
Good luck in your decision!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Quinlan
Racer

I agree with Shawsan - it may be a very good deal, however unless your friend owns a shop that services Porsches, do more than have him do a "once over" - these cars are EXTREMELY expensive to repair if something goes wrong. Have him take it to one of the tuners on this board or on 6 speed, spend a few hundred to have it thoroughly checked out - it is worth the peace of mind.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:11 PM
remedy451
Advanced

Thanks for the responses.

To answer Shawsan - I REALLY like the yellow/black colour combination. I've been looking in Canada and privately I only found one with 90k km in BC and he's asking $60K firm. There are a couple of dealers in Canada who have them and they're asking $75k+.

To answer Roy - my friend is only going to do a visual inspection of the exterior/interior and only if it is in excellent condition my plan was to spend the money and get a mechanical inspection done at that point.

What other resources would you recommend for finding these vehicles?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Shane D
Pro

Originally Posted by remedy451
Thanks for the responses.

To answer Shawsan - I REALLY like the yellow/black colour combination. I've been looking in Canada and privately I only found one with 90k km in BC and he's asking $60K firm. There are a couple of dealers in Canada who have them and they're asking $75k+.

What other resources would you recommend for finding these vehicles?
www.autotrader.com
www.cars.com
www.ebaymotors.com
www.porsche.com
www.rennlist.com
www.6speedonline.com
http://www.rallystuff.com/pcar_sources.html (got this one from Rennlist).

Also when you are talking about exchange rates, the BOC rate today is $1.26 per US buck. The duty is 6.1%. Also shipping rates seem to vary wildly.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:51 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sharkster in the bay area for inspections: http://www.sharkwerks.com/main.php

GL

A

PS Is that a wood interior??
Old 02-20-2009, 06:33 PM
shawsan
Instructor

Couple of other thoughts;

1) get a full pre-purchase inspection; did so when I bought my 993TT which cost $550 at Weissach for 5 hr. end-to-end inspection. They found about $2000 in small stuff that needed fixing + a pending valve cover job that I did 8 months later for $3,500.

2) make a deal contingent on (a) the inspection being done and finding no significant problems and (b) seller's willingness to pay for things that absolutely need to be done, such as a broken rotor, leaking exahust, and (c) seller's willingness to cost-share other small things that should be in order, like fixing latches, bulbs, alignment is tire showing wear; (its amazing to me how much mentioning this contingency causes some sellers to stumble; also helps motivate them to be doubly honest and specific about what might be ailing the car);

3) be aware, when you sell it in the future, that your desire for a bolder color and wheel combination won't necessarily be shared by other buyers who may be more traditional, thus making it harder to sell or depressing asking price;

4) be aware that selling an imported US car in Canada has some stigma, though fortunately much less than several years ago;

5) your best position will be to really want the car, get a full PPI done to provide peace of mind, cost-share things that need fixing, and plan to keep the car for a long time.

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 PM
remedy451
Advanced

Thanks Shawsan - those are excellent points & I will definitely make the agreement contingent to the inspection.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
remedy451
Advanced

Adam - I think its carbon on the steering wheel, handbrake, and shifter...
Old 02-21-2009, 01:15 AM
remedy451
Advanced

So what I still haven't determined yet, based on the responses received so far, is that if everything checks out like the seller has advertised AND the car has no issues after a PPI - is it a good price at $46,500?

Quick Reply: 2002 996 Turbo on CL - Good Deal?