Sponsored by:

is this residue OK on oil cap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 AM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2
I am not sure a leak on the cap seal will be visible - it may be just a good measure to replace it with a new one - how many miles on your car rainey??
A little under 40k.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Thumbs up For what it's worth.......

One of the by products of combustion is H20 - water vapor. It does find it's way to the crankcase.....perfectly normal. During normal driving in cold temps, it usually is "boiled off" when the engine oil and crankcase are at operating temps and leaves through crankcase ventilation, often routed to in the intake track. If you just start the car in cold weather and just let it idle, as some might do during winter storage, or just make a quick short trip with never fully warming the engine, you may see a bit of oily white foam on the inside of the oil fill cap. This phenomena is nothing new to Turbos, Porsches (air or water cooled), or even gasoline engines. It occurs with just about any internal combustion engines. You have notheing to worry about.

Now if you see this after prolonged driving, or in warm weather, check you coolant level. You might have a coolant to cylinder leak.

Cheers,
Old 03-26-2009, 08:17 PM
raineycd
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked mine and was almost gone. I wiped the rest of the mustard out... Should be good now. I plan on an oil change soon as well.

Quick Reply: is this residue OK on oil cap?