Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notchy Short Shifter on 05 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to agree with Doc. If your SSK is notchy, take it to an expert for the proper adjustment.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:03 AM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

are you guys sure that the 997 shifter doesnt cause any damage when used with the 996 at all?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your question is worded incorrectly....you are asking a group of guys who have jsut installee a 997 shifter into their cars if the shifter is going to cause any damage to the transmission....all we've done is substitute a 997 shifter inieu of a stanear OEM shifter and commented on the fact that it appears to be smoother, has a shorter throw, and feel much more positive insofar as gear engagement is concerned.

If you are asking us for a scientific analysis of whether it in any way inhibits or damages the gear engagement or throw ratios for the gears....that's not what we're saying....we're simply saying it feels so much better, smoother, less prone to engaging in the wrong gears upon downshift. We're basing our assessments on what we feel is the difference in performance feel for the difference between the two or three options out there.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:25 AM
Topless TTS
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I have the B&M shifter (with the EVO ShiftLink), and in warm weather...or once warmed up in cold weather...it shifts beautifully. It's as close to "rifle bolt" as you can come with a cable system.

I think in many cases the issues people have with the B&M shifter are caused by not having precise cable adjustments.

The B&M shifter, and the Porsche SSK for the 996 Turbo, are both made by B&M, and the two shifters are exactly the same.
Have the OEM SSK, feels perfect and never notchy. I would have to agree with the idea that installation is the cause of the notchy feeling people may report.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:42 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

+2....
Old 02-14-2009, 05:34 PM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you Chuck, you've answered my question.
Fit: good.
Feel: great.
Long term side effects: probably okay, but unknown.

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Your question is worded incorrectly....you are asking a group of guys who have jsut installee a 997 shifter into their cars if the shifter is going to cause any damage to the transmission....all we've done is substitute a 997 shifter inieu of a stanear OEM shifter and commented on the fact that it appears to be smoother, has a shorter throw, and feel much more positive insofar as gear engagement is concerned.

If you are asking us for a scientific analysis of whether it in any way inhibits or damages the gear engagement or throw ratios for the gears....that's not what we're saying....we're simply saying it feels so much better, smoother, less prone to engaging in the wrong gears upon downshift. We're basing our assessments on what we feel is the difference in performance feel for the difference between the two or three options out there.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:49 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

i installed the 997 ssk almost two weeks ago. the shifter feels great and pretty smooth. 100% improvement over the standard shifter. what i like about an oem shifter is that the installation is really a no brainer since the assembly comes complete. you only need to remove and reinstall the two cables and off you go. before you remove the cable make sure you mark them so that you can reinstall in the same position. wish i would have done it sooner.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:10 PM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The stock 997tt shifter is about 10% shorter than a std 997 shifter, I believe the gt3 and tt use the same one. I have the oem tt ssk, it is short, precise and buttery smooth, it's 20% shorter than the std 997 shifter.
Confused?

Actually, yes. By (your) definition a stock 997tt shifter IS a std 997 shifter. Also Suncoast has definitively said --see 6speed "Factory Short Shifter" thread--that all 997/987 non-short shifters are identical--from Boxsters to Turbos to GT3TRS.

If anyone knows otherwise, let's hear the facts.

Last edited by dtmarsh; 02-14-2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: deletion
Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 PM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Actually, yes. By (your) definition a stock 997tt shifter IS a std 997 shifter. Also Suncoast Porsche has definitively said --see 6speed "Factory Short Shifter" thread--that all 997/987 non-short shifters are identical--from Boxsters to Turbos to GT3TRS.

If anyone knows otherwise, let's hear the facts.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ce-part-4.html

Cut and paste from that thread:

Every Porsche car made today uses the same shifter, from the base Boxster to the GT2 and RS.
877-923-1700 (toll free)
srussell@sunsetautogroup.com
http://www.suncoastparts.com
Great sales on select CLOSEOUT and TEQUIPMENT

Last edited by dtmarsh; 02-14-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 PM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
I have the same issue with my TT with a short shifter, I am planning on getting a 997 GT3 Shifter. It is supposed to be a lot smoother and have shorter travel than the TT unit..
Really? Where did you hear that?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 PM
dtmarsh
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimmy k
997 TT/GT3 shifter seems like the way to go. Any vendors out there wanna hook us up with a group buy?
I'd forget about (and did) a group buy. If you're looking for a stock 997 shifter, just about any dealer tech will have one laying around from a brand new 997/987 car short-shifter replacement. I paid $50 and he was glad to get it. He also gave me an allignment tool with since they get oodles of them from short-shifter replacements. Go down to your dealer and get one.

I wonder if ttsurgeon and I tell everyone that the stock turbo/GT3 shifters are different/better/shorter throw if we could make some money on the deal? We'd be richer and buyers would think they got something special
Old 02-24-2009, 04:31 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Have to agree with Doc. If your SSK is notchy, take it to an expert for the proper adjustment.
I've got the same issue on my 996 C4S, where it's feeling a bit notchy.

I guess my question is - have people fixed the problem themselves? I was thinking of just trying to adjust the location of the cables myself (I thought I marked them off correctly, but perhaps not). I was going to do this sometime in the spring.

If I recall correctly, when the cables were disconnected the shifter easily flapped around, therefore I would assume the problem would have to be with the location of the cables in the notches.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quick Reply: Notchy Short Shifter on 05 TTS