Sponsored by:

Help with oil leak from turbocharger reservoir container -

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:30 PM
chronon
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help with oil leak from turbocharger reservoir container -

As per my recent post (link below) I just had a top end engine rebuild. However, I am now experiencing an oil leak from the driver's side turbo charger oil container (see pics). Obviously I believe it is connected but, is it possible that I have a turbocharger seal failure? My CPO warranty expires in 6 weeks so want to make sure this is covered if it is a separate issue from the rebuild.

For additional background, after the rebuild, the dealer told me not to panic if I saw an oil leak given the magnitude of the rebuild. I noticed a leak from the same spot and took the car in. He said that one of the return lines needed to be adjusted (or something like that that I cant recall). They kept the car for 2 days and indicated it was fixed. However, 2 weeks later, the leak is still there. Any help/suggestions appreciated. I am planning to take it again at the end of the week.

See my previous post on engine rebuild.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...under-cpo.html
Attached Images   
Old 01-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

Here is my take..... Everyone that reads my response needs to take heed when they have there car repaired by the Porsche dealer.

1) The Porsche repair/parts manual parts PET is incorrect. 99% of the time when a person and this includes the Porsche tech when he orders the seal between the sump tank (pictured) and the turbocharger for the 996TT, you will receive a aluminum crush washer. This is incorrect.

2) The correct oring is from the 993TT. It is black and designed to take the heat (turbine side) the aluminum crush washer will last about 10 miles then will start to puke oil such as pictured above.

3) The Porsche tech should know better by now. The parts guy should know better by now (the car has been out for how long). It amazes me how often this happens. If you pull out a black viton oring, why would you install a aluminum crush ring?

They will have your car for a hour, make sure they replace both sides. And tell them to change the oil for free> just for your time.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is the correct part number.. 999 701 598 40

I would also ask them to remove the black hose that goes from the turbo to the intercooler. Please check to see if there is OIL in there.. That will tell you if you are having a turbo failure. Have your dealer tech call me if you have oil in either hose. You should really check them!!! Do you remember what I said in the previous post about metal in the oil> This will quickly knock out a good turbocharger.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
chronon
Instructor

Kevin - Thanks a lot for the response ( I wish you were the one working on my car!). I dont know if you saw my other question to you on my original post but they replaced the camshaft housing from the picture as part of the rebuild. Are you suggesting that some of the metal that came off from the original scored camshaft might have damaged other parts? I have driven 500 miles on the rebuild engine and will change oil & filter next week. I expect to see some metal readings on the oil sample analysis which I understand is normal after an engine rebuild but is there something else to be concerned about?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You shouldn't be seeing metal with a topend overhaul.

You should also make a more urgent schedule>>to get your car in for a oil change (I'm more concerned about your oil filter)

Yes, metal from the cam housing is moving around your engine with the original oil that should have been changed hours and miles ago.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM
chronon
Instructor

Kevin - I will get the car in for the oil change asap but just to make sure I understand, are you saying that there is metal from the NEW cam housing moving around? They changed the oil + filter as part of the rebuild so where is the metal coming from? Also dealer never said that oil needed to be changed after the rebuild. I was just planning to do it as an "extra careful" step but from what you say it sounds like it is a MUST do. Sorry I am in the slow learners group. Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Chronon, you wrote

DIAGNOSE
They found some minor scoring on the cam housing (see pic 1)
Why would you say your new housing???? It is the damage that occurred to your old CAM Housing. They changed your oil but that does NOT remove all the debris. The dealer is doing things by the book. You should be thinking about "your" best interest. And yes, it might require you to spend some money>oil change.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:54 AM
chronon
Instructor

clear - thanks.

Quick Reply: Help with oil leak from turbocharger reservoir container -