Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last minute advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:22 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Beautiful car. Congrats. With that boost, you probably have been reprogramed.( Just like everyone else here.) Enjoy. AS
Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

If that boost is steady state, it's higher than what a stock Turbo should pull.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your comments! the car is just wonderful! now I am kind of worried about the aftermarket software. Can Porsche certify a car like that? can my CPO warranty get denied later if something happens? is it safe to run 0.9 bar in a stock k16 car? thanks for your help!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
She is home now, omg this car is so beautiful! I can believe I have a Turbo and the power is freaking insane
Something I found odd about the car is that the Boost goes all the way up to 0.9 - 0.8 bar when I press the gas hard, Isnt a stock k16 (non X-50) only supposed to get up to 0.6 - 0.7 bar? The CPO paperwork says that the car is stock.
BTW thanks to all of you for your advice and help!
May I ask the starting price at the dealer? Did you pay $51k out the door with all taxes etc? I am heavily considering a 996TT and am trying to get a better idea of go prices.

-Ryan
Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, is that your Porsche Turbo sitting in the driveway in front of your house?!?!

Enjoy

A
Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Oh, did you do a PPI that included looking at over-revs and software mods?

Yes Porsche most certainly void coverage even if you didn't make the mod and even if you didn't abuse the car (ie if it was the prior owner).... the cpo inspection does not 'erase' prior bad history.

Last edited by adam_; 01-11-2009 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 AM
cshade
Track Day

WOW. Excellent find. Congratulations!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:07 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

is it safe to run 0.9 bar in a stock k16 car?
No problem.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 AM
MGS996
Racer

Great looking TT !!
Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Default Still concerned

Than you guys so much for your advice/comments!!!
unfortunately I am still worried about the aftermarket software and my CPO warranty. I am going to have to writte a letter to the GM of the P-dealer tomorrow requesting something in writting that states that the car was modified before I got it and that my warraty will not be voided, otherwise I dont think I can keep the car, the car was sold to me as being 100% stock. I love the car and I want to keep it, hopefully they can send me something in writting.
Ryan: the price was $49.9k + tax, out the door it was $52.6xx

Last edited by MechanicalEng; 02-11-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Or make them give you a discount~2k. But I agree, if it was advertised as 100% stock it should be. Granted, you may want to flash the ecu yourself in the future with a program of your choosing, but that should be your call when you're ready...and you will!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

unfortunately I am still worried about the aftermarket software and my CPO warranty. I am going to have to writte a letter to the GM of the P-dealer tomorrow requesting something in writting that states that the car was modified before I got it and that my warraty will not be voided, otherwise I dont think I can keep the car, the car was sold to me as being 100% stock. I love the car and I want to keep it, hopefully they can send me something in writting.
Ryan: the price was $51k + tax, out the door it was $52.6xx
Please keep in mind that the GM cannot speak for Porsche, who is the guarantor of the CPO warranty. The dealer can promise you all they want, they can confirm that the car was modded when you bought it, etc, etc... if two years from now the engine blows PCNA can deny the CPO due to 'prior modifications leading to failure'..... (with a major failure, they pull the DME and look for failure codes, modifications, etc) you can show them the letter and PCNA can say 'sorry, sounds like you might have a legal case against that independent porsche dealership'.

The value of a cpo is hard to fix. If you have no problems it isn't worth much, if you have a failure, well....

Personally I've taken the mod path and recognize the risk- I am comfortable with that. If YOU want a stock car, with a CPO you can rely on, you should get that.

GL

A

PS It is really a simple matter to pull data from the DME to look for signs of modifications and evidence of over-revs that might lead to a future cpo denial...but dealers don't do it! Don't ask, don't tell...the future owner can deal with it!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
josserman
Instructor

Congrats!!!! BTW I am in the same boat been searching since Sept. and hopefully going to close on a black/black 02 w/ 25k and aftermarket warranty 51k very soon.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

awesome find congrats....with respect to your concerns about the possible engine software change, note if the boost level is sustained or if it just peaks of short duration. if the boost level is maintained at 0.9 or higher, then the engine software was modded, but if what you are seeing is just a peak, but the same is not sustainable, then your engine software is stock. i have a stock 03 and sometimes see peaks of 0.8 and once even a 0.9, but i can not maintain those levels during wot runs. i maintain peaks of 0.6 to 0.7.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:20 PM
Shane D
Pro

Question

Ryan: the price was $51k + tax, out the door it was $52.6xx
What is your sales tax? About 3%? MAN that is low!
(Says the Canadian guy who has to factor in a 13% sales tax on every high end purchase )

Quick Reply: Last minute advice please!