Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help- any Los Angeles shop rebuild a tiptronic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
sc_trojan
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help- any Los Angeles shop rebuild a tiptronic transmission?

well it looks like I have the infamous transmission leak between the transfer case and the automatic transmission in my 03 996tt. My local porsche dealer said it cant be fixed. The entire transmission needs to be replaced.

I have done a search and found some people who have indeed gotten their transmission rebuilt, but they were either across the country or out of the country.

Is there any shop in LA that has rebuilt a 996tt tiptronic transmission? My car is out of warranty and I rather not pay to have the dealer put a new transmission in there.

thanks in advance!!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Do a shearch someone had one on the list for sale with like 500 miles or mayb e 1500 that was removed and made a race car out of the car.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Sorry i did a shearch and it was on craiglist and has expired.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 PM
sc_trojan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by whiteturbo
Sorry i did a shearch and it was on craiglist and has expired.
I was racking my brain where I saw that ad. I thought it was on 6speed, but couldn't find it. I thought it was in washington state somewhere?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
whiteturbo
Instructor

This is the link but it has expired.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/974080247.html
Ivangene posted it you may be able to email him but I think he said he just seen the add and and did not know anything about it.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this that infamous seal that is shown on the part diagram, but no part number exists?

I'd be getting me some gasket material and an exacto knife...

Alex in Poland or Hungary had his redone as I recall. I also recall that this gasket may define some preload on the assembly, so I'd try to roughly copy the material thickness.

And if you get it wrong and the tranny fails in 20k miles....we'll they're trying to nail you today on the new tranny, might as well give it a shot.

GL

A
Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 PM
sc_trojan
8th Gear

Originally Posted by whiteturbo
This is the link but it has expired.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/974080247.html
Ivangene posted it you may be able to email him but I think he said he just seen the add and and did not know anything about it.
thanks- I found him. He posted the tranny for sale on ebay. his reserve is $6k- while cheaper than the dealer, still much more than I am willing to pay.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 AM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call LAPD and see if they have one...whatever the price quote is, if you show up in person w/cash in hand you should be able to do better....

May also want to call Speed Gallery to see if one of their crazy customers had them do a swap for them to manual.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Dr.D
Advanced

They can be Fixed/Rebuilt. I was talking to my shop, there are few different ways you can fix your problem. I see you're in LA and sc fan, shops in LA too. Talk to this guy, he is very knowledgable, interesting to talk too. I have sent a few people that I do weekend Porsche runs with and they have all thanked me for it. Let me know if you want shops #. I was going to PM the shops info to you but I dont think you can recieve a PM unless you're a memeber, so maybe an email.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 AM
sc_trojan
8th Gear

Well I have talked to a few porsche shops- all have said they can do it, but none have actually taken apart a tiptronic yet. I assume a transmission is a transmission is a transmission, but I would feel better if someone has already successfully taken one apart, made the gasket (since they can't be ordered) and put it back together.

I found a guy in FL who has done a few, but no one in LA yet.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 AM
Dr.D
Advanced

Well, like I said, if you could not find anyone, let me know how I could give you this guys #. You just talk to him and go from there....Hope it works out for you.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM
johnyg
Instructor

Has anyone else experienced this problem on a tiptronic turbo? This is the first I have heard of it.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
sc_trojan
8th Gear

there is the guy in romania, a guy in the bay area and the guy in florida. If the car is still under warranty, then just take it to the dealer and they will replace the whole transmission. If it isn't under warranty, then you need to find someone who is experienced with the ZF transmission to take it apart and rebuild it.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc_trojan
Well I have talked to a few porsche shops- all have said they can do it, but none have actually taken apart a tiptronic yet. I assume a transmission is a transmission is a transmission, but I would feel better if someone has already successfully taken one apart, made the gasket (since they can't be ordered) and put it back together.

I found a guy in FL who has done a few, but no one in LA yet.
I think you are over-complexifying the job- last time I looked it was just the end-most nosecone of the tiptronic case...not really "taking apart a tiptronic".

GL

A

PS new word, eh?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:22 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

sc_T
Check your PM.
MK

Quick Reply: help- any Los Angeles shop rebuild a tiptronic transmission?