Sponsored by:

Considering 03-04 Turbo as a DD

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008 | 10:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Default Considering 03-04 Turbo as a DD

Afternoon gents.

Let me set the scene. Im 25, work in manhattan, well educated, stable well paying career, savings/investments are where they should be, etc.

I currently have a 2005 Mercedes-Benz S500 4matic sport with the designo package. The thing is fully loaded, and is absolutely beautiful. this is my current daily driver and I like it a lot. Its smooth, quiet, and totally comfortable.

In a real Jekyll and hyde scenario, I also have a supercharged 1999 mustang Cobra convertible. It puts 700 horsepower to the rear tires, handles fairly well, and has been pretty dependable. I like the car for its performance and looks, but the interior and persona are lacking a bit.

Now, I have about a 2 mile commute to the train station, which has uncovered, but secure parking. I do not drive into the city, and my apartment complex only allows one car (unless you pay an exorbitant amount). I keep the cobra in storage and take it out when I want to experience the performance.

As you can imagine, this is not an ideal situation because the Cobra gets hardly any miles, and I have to hike out to the storage facility (20 miles away) to get the thing.

So, after some deliberation, I decided that one of the very few cars that would give me excellent performance with decent snow capability and daily driver characteristics (fairly quiet, heated seats, navigation, leather everywhere, etc) is the late model 996 Turbo.

So, I have a few questions about consolidated my stable into the single porsche:

1. How is this car to daily drive? Is it loud, does it ride hard? I've driven one, but that was in a more performance oriented setting, and I didn't get an idea of how the car would handle rough roads at slow speeds.

2. How prevalent is the 2nd gear popout on later models? Is the car generally reliable in terms of electronics? I figure the engine and drivetrain should be pretty stout.

3. Are you happy with the interior? Whenever I look at these cars, I get a bit disappointed with certain aspects, such as the seat controls, the center console, the buttons, and certain little things (exposed black screw heads, some panel fitment issues, etc). Coming from a full leather designo S-class, I have fairly high standards for interiors. Does it have any common squeaks, creaks, or rattles?

4. Easy performance mods? I don't want a loud exhaust, but a tiny bit more sound, and maybe some tuning? Id be happy with about 500bhp. Is that easily achievable or something that requires the turbo upgrades from Kevin?

5. Would this car be a waste for my driving? I know I don't love taking the cobra for drives that are only 5 minutes long. It never gets fully warm, and I don't have much use for its performance. That said, having one car that is capable of being good at both would be much more convenient.

I figure a nice 04 coupe with mid miles (25k or so) would run about 55k or so, which is well within the budget. I would love to get a 997TT, but Im not comfortable getting into that price range at this time.

So gentlemen, I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, and although I have searched, my questions are a bit personalized, so I hope you will take some time to give me thoughtful responses as opposed to telling me to search.

Thank you and happy holidays,
Oliver
Old 12-22-2008 | 11:06 PM
BMo
Instructor

Great DD...go for it.
Old 12-22-2008 | 11:47 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Just do it. There's no other car quite like it for a true sports car/DD combo. It's the kind of car you can take to the track one day and the morning after drive to work in NYC. And comfortable enough to do a 1000 mile road trip after a long day's work. Rain, shine or snow.

42k miles here and still loving it.
Old 12-23-2008 | 02:25 AM
mmcmilla
Advanced

I live in weather-friendly California (Monterey/Carmel area) and have driven my 04 TT daily. It just ticked past 65k on the odometer. Here are my comments in response to your questions:

1. Fun to drive every day. Hardly a day goes by without someone saying, "How much fun is it to drive that car?" Don't worry about slow speeds or fast speeds. Just adjust the gear to match your speed and spunk.

2. My car has never popped out of 2nd. I think I've read some posts about the problem, but I've never known anyone to have the problem. Electronics are solid. I have a quirk with the radio ... the PCM will sometimes not show the radio stations (all blank) when I start the car. I just toggle between AM and FM buttons, and the problem resolves. (In fact, I've never had a mechanical or other problem; only rear tires every 10k; fronts every 20k; and the scheduled services every 15k.)

3. I've had BMWs before my TT, and I do think the Turbo is a bit sparse. But it's functional and utilitarian. Also, it rattles more than most cars, but since it's already pretty noisy, it doesn't bother me much.

4. I haven't modded my car, but it seems that thousands successfully have.

5. Hard to answer this question for you. My office is about 15 miles away, so that's my typical daily commute (there and back). I have a choice of taking twisties through a canyon or a bit more sedate Highway 1. Both are enjoyable for me.

The hardest thing for you will be to "downgrade" the comfort level from your Mercedes. It definitely will not be the same cushy ride in the TT. Good luck!
Old 12-23-2008 | 12:09 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

I DD my turbo, four seasons, on snows now...I love it. But, it is not quiet and refined, and the ride on rough roads is, well, rough. If that's okay go for it.
Old 12-23-2008 | 12:45 PM
josserman
Instructor

I also live in the NYC area (northern Westchester) drive into the city often for work. I've been searching the area for one and plan on making my move soon. I've done a fair amount of research on the abilities of the car in the snow. The general consensus is just get some snow tires and the right size wheels. You may want to pick up the 996 Essential Companion you will find a ton of great info in that book. I would suggest getting a PPI, carfax, and computer diagnostics. If you can find one with a CPO even better. I've been driving my buddy's around a lot and it's an amazing experience. I have a 3.2 A4 Audi 6spd sports suspension, and it's just a completely different experience. On a more personal note....I'm also in my 20's (28) and just got married so I figure buy it now before college funds and heavy mortgages diminish my paycheck!!!
Old 12-23-2008 | 02:46 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I am a little concerned about losing the comfort of the S-class. It is so quiet, smooth, and comfortable that it really is the perfect solution at the end of a 14 hour day.

I have some thinking (and driving to do). Good to know that there are no major snafus though.

thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2008 | 09:57 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I use the TT as a DD...put 14K on it since last November (07)....it's not as quiet or comfortable as the M car...won't give you the same luxurious ride...what I refer to as the Lexus ride (had two LS 400)...the ride is a little more harsh becasue the suspension is stiffer for performance reasons....but the ride is exhilliarating and much more fun...and will get much more notice...but if you're going to be in a lot of heavy traffic, you might want to consider a TT with a tip. I just spent the day with my girls in San Francisco.(live in Sacto')..and if I lived here, I'd be looking for a tip.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 01-05-2009 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-24-2008 | 12:07 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

For a 2 mile commute, I wouldn't do it. There probably isn't a 500 yard stretch where you really can drive. Given your circumstance, you probably need a back seat and a trunk more than twin turbos and a clutch.
When I got my CLK63AMG Black, I sold my E55. In retrospect, that was a mistake. I should have added the new car, not gotten rid of a perfectly functional commuter car. My tt is my daily driver winter car, but I do have a 60 mile round trip daily commute. AS
Old 01-05-2009 | 05:01 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Agreed- for a 2 mile commute you'll just get frustrated. Plus, you will miss the comfort of an s class. And manhattan streets + the 996 turbo = BUMPY ride. so think it over...
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:43 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

[QUOTE=Quadcammer;6115177] The responses give you the full spectrum...I was like you with a car in a storage shed...I just seldom drove it. Here is my response
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
1. How is this car to daily drive? Is it loud, does it ride hard? I've driven one, but that was in a more performance oriented setting, and I didn't get an idea of how the car would handle rough roads at slow speeds.
The car is a blast to drive, but you will feel the road. Some aftermarket suspension is necessary. It is not quiet, but with proper exhaust, it sounds wonderful.

2. How prevalent is the 2nd gear popout on later models? Is the car generally reliable in terms of electronics? I figure the engine and drivetrain should be pretty stout.
2nd gear PO can happen, but not typical. Electronics...no comment.

3. Are you happy with the interior? Whenever I look at these cars, I get a bit disappointed with certain aspects, such as the seat controls, the center console, the buttons, and certain little things (exposed black screw heads, some panel fitment issues, etc). Coming from a full leather designo S-class, I have fairly high standards for interiors. Does it have any common squeaks, creaks, or rattles?
As Chuck says, it is no Lexus...it is a sports car....not sure what you want, but sports cars are meant for you to be part of the driving experience (feel and sound) not be a bystander.

4. Easy performance mods? I don't want a loud exhaust, but a tiny bit more sound, and maybe some tuning? Id be happy with about 500bhp. Is that easily achievable or something that requires the turbo upgrades from Kevin?
easily attainable with exhaust and flash...you do not need new turbos, but can always upgrade later.

5. Would this car be a waste for my driving? I know I don't love taking the cobra for drives that are only 5 minutes long. It never gets fully warm, and I don't have much use for its performance. That said, having one car that is capable of being good at both would be much more convenient.
Difficult to answer...if you just drive for 5 minutes do not do it...if you have the opportunity to let loose a couple times a week...well that is a different story.

Great time to buy...
Old 01-06-2009 | 12:34 AM
Dr.D
Advanced

Great DD, I have few cars, and just got one more(being modified as we speak), but I just love driving the TT. I work about 10mins from my house, but its a 10min canyon dr., so I get it up to temp in the garage and pray for clear road all the way to work. I can't tell you how many times coming back from work, I just pass the house and go for a drive. Anyways, its a wonderful car and this is really a wonderful site. So get the car and become a member ;^).
Old 01-06-2009 | 01:30 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

996tt is a way cooler car for a 25 year old, than an S class Merc!
Old 01-06-2009 | 09:18 AM
GBG
Pro

I'm with Justin.

At 25, why the hell are you driving a an S Mercedes, by all accounts a car for a mid-lifer. Go with the TT and take lots of weekend trips out of the city.
Old 01-06-2009 | 10:55 AM
josserman
Instructor

I'm 28 and wish I bought the tt instead of my audi when I was 26 ! And yea trips out of the city Merrit...Taconic... back country roads in Northern Westchester lower fairfield...plus the drive up to Lime Rock is amazing!

Quick Reply: Considering 03-04 Turbo as a DD