Considering 03-04 Turbo as a DD

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GBG
I'm with Justin.

At 25, why the hell are you driving a an S Mercedes, by all accounts a car for a mid-lifer. Go with the TT and take lots of weekend trips out of the city.
I really wanted to say this, but i could not have said it in such a nice matter.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 25 and a 996, good job man.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:03 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar routine. I had a miata for autocrossing with a ton of mods and considered keeping it in storage when I got the BoxsterS. But having two roadsters was excessive, two cars that can only seat two people? LOL. In retrospect big mistake should done it because the Miata was the ultimate track and autox car to beat on, just bulletproof.
So having committed that error I'm setting my sights on getting a 996C4S or 996TT and parking the Boxster during winter(plan to keep until I'm 90). I've driven all the 996's exept the GT's and the suspension for all, including the Boxster is not a good match for NYC driving. I've bent both front wheels on those legendary FDR pot holes, and Brooklyn? forget about it. Parking on the street is out of the question which means the hassle of finding a lot that isn't going to take you to the cleaners, one lot wanted more for Porsche, Ferrari or Bentley.... I was out in Hoboken recently and parking was like $25 for the night, in HOBOKEN! But whatever comes with territory.
The prices on C4S and TT have fallen dramatically. Test drove a red and tan cherry C4S last year that is now selling for $10K less, at least.. probably closer to -$14K. Good thing I waited. Now the issue is that too many C4S are Cabrios and too many TT's are tippy. The dry sump of the TT sounds like the better deal but I have qualms about buying an out of warranty Turbo from Porsche. Just wish the C4S came with the GT1 block.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

If you drive in Manhattan ever-don't do it. If not, go for it.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Blue Monster
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default my two cents

I live in Westchester and up until last year drove a 1990 500SL (bought in 1999) as my DD. I bought a 2003 TT in March and use it as a DD and for the track this past summer (Lime Rock and Monticello).

It is NOT a good car for your short commute as you will be frustrated if you don't give the car its proper warm up and cool down time for the turbos. I have a 15 minute drive which I think is just barely enough. I am not saying you can't WOT from a cold start, but the car probably won't last as long. But, as already stated perfect for weekend cruises and the track.

I absolutely love the car and get a big grin every time I sit in it. It absolutely amazed me on the track, especially when my instructor said you are not anywhere near the limits of this car (but maybe the tires).

I did not get the winter tires and wheels this year, but may do so in the future.

But here is the thing, I still take the 500 SL now and then, drives perfect, top down, perfect cruiser, feels like it takes forever to get to 80mphs vs the TT, but very relaxing.

Anyway, my two cents.

--BM

Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
josserman
Instructor

If you're interested New Country in Greenwich just got a nice 02 w/ 13k miles on it. I was looking at it but just didn't want the grey interior. Asking price is 55k but you can probably get them to come down on that.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:12 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Keep the Mercedes - having a 996TT for that kind of use would be CRAZY!
(I would swap it out for the 'stang at the storage facility, however )
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
gfox
2nd Gear

Default If you drive in Manhattan ever-don't do it

Originally Posted by LT1
If you drive in Manhattan ever-don't do it. If not, go for it.
Care to go into further detail? Can I count on countless problems/repairs due to how low the car sits and the countless deep potholes? I'm a Manhattanite who's considering the eventual purchase of a 996TT, but could be convinced to give up the dream if it's just going to be a lesson in futility.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 01-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 996TT is not transportation, even though it does that. A 996TT is an experience. A car that you drive because it was meant to be driven. And you smile at the incredible capabilities engineered into the machine. No offense, because I have a cruiser also, but the turbo is in a different league than your Mercedes.
I lived in Manhattan for 2 years, and personally, unless you have a very secure garage, your new car is not going to fare well in that place. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gfox
Care to go into further detail? Can I count on countless problems/repairs due to how low the car sits and the countless deep potholes? I'm a Manhattanite who's considering the eventual purchase of a 996TT, but could be convinced to give up the dream if it's just going to be a lesson in futility.

Thanks,

Greg
Dangerous curbs, bottoming out on parking garage ramps, parking garage attendants, bumper rash from parallel parking, cabbies, delivery trucks, mega potholes, nowhere to warm up/cool down, stick shift in traffic, insurance cost etc etc
Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd dump the mustang and put a tt there or a gt3rs....

Less power, more precision/race car....and do some DE.

I have a TT ...your short commute might kill it. You need to warm down for 2 minutes.....etc. Same for a Ferrari. An Audi shop once told me my 4 mile each way commute while in training (A4, 2nd year) was worse in terms of wear and tear than 100 mi each way....

JB
Old 01-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by GBG
I'm with Justin.

At 25, why the hell are you driving a an S Mercedes, by all accounts a car for a mid-lifer. Go with the TT and take lots of weekend trips out of the city.
Thats kind of a strange statement. People have different tastes. I drive the S-class because I enjoy a smooth ride, an almost silent cabin, tons of comfort features, and beautiful looks. I don't think there is an age requirement for that. Is it typical for a 25 year old? Maybe not, but I've always been considered very "old manish" for my age.

I work long hours and am tired when I get home. I don't mind shifting gears or a bit of noise, but if I could only have one car, I would want it to be at least pretty comfortable/quiet, etc.

Does the Turbo have the PSE option?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
No offense, because I have a cruiser also, but the turbo is in a different league than your Mercedes.
I lived in Manhattan for 2 years, and personally, unless you have a very secure garage, your new car is not going to fare well in that place. Good luck.
I don't live in manhattan, but rather 10 minutes outside in a nice town. That said, I do drive into manhattan often for functions, dinners, nights out, etc.

No offense taken as I realize there is a major difference between a 911 and a mercedes.

After having given it some thought, Im not sure Im ready to take the plunge.

I just love the benz to much to part with it right now, and given the turmoil in the financial industry, im not sure if I want to buy another high end vehicle (with possibly high repair costs) at this juncture. While it would not be imprudent financially (no major ding to the savings), there is something to be said for financial modesty in these times.

I think I'll keep the mustang for another year or two, and then see what shakes out. While crude and crappily made, there is something to be said for a convertible with massive power, decent handling, and decent looks.

Anybody have comparisons of the 996 TT to a 997TT. I've heard the 997 is more dd'able and is a bit quieter/more comfortable riding. That may be the way to go in a few years.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Kab
Instructor

These cars are fun to drive at any speed. If you need an attitude adjustment after work or little adrenaline rush before work the get the 996 TT. I think you will be finding the long way home after work and great country drives on weekends. My wife loves for me to take her out in it. It is a sports car but not so rough that it can't be enjoyed as a daily driver.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
jaytee
Track Day

Sounds like you've made a decision so perhaps it's time to close this one out.

Quick Reply: Considering 03-04 Turbo as a DD