996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it K&N Air Filters bad for MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008 | 12:25 AM
Abakar
Track Day

Default Is it K&N Air Filters bad for MAF?

I'm a K&N filters beliver. But I told Kevin, at UMW, about my intentions of instaling a K&N to my 996tt because I'm buying his software. But he said "mayor No, No. K&N are killers or the Mass Air Flow sensors". Does anybody knows something I don't? Is that bad to install a K&N on these cars? What about all those cold air intakes available in the market? Are they bad too?

Any comments will be appreciated
Old 12-16-2008 | 02:08 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Abakar
I'm a K&N filters beliver. But I told Kevin, at UMW, about my intentions of instaling a K&N to my 996tt because I'm buying his software. But he said "mayor No, No. K&N are killers or the Mass Air Flow sensors". Does anybody knows something I don't? Is that bad to install a K&N on these cars? What about all those cold air intakes available in the market? Are they bad too?

Any comments will be appreciated

1. K&N filters do not filter as well as OE filters. THis is undeniable truth, and even K&N data supports this assertion.

2. Oiled filters WILL contribute to MAF contamination. Think of this like smokign and lung cancer- you will hear people swear they have K&Ns on their 90 year old grandpas car and it is fine...but oil in the intake track will lead to minute levels on the mafs and ultimately an oxide builds up. You may not get that 'blown maf' symptom that some will get, but more of a degradtion and eventual failure.

3. With FI motors, below 600HP, the airflows really don't require modification of the factory filters.... look at the size of the factory filter and what these aftermarket "cold air" intakes give you.... any gains are due to lower filtering, and any gains are minor if at all.

k24s, wastegagtes, 100cell cat exhaust, and a UMW flash will add 100hp.... I figure the 10HP I am giving up by using a K&N with 10 TIMES worse filtration efficiency is worth the trade off to me. I'd rather keep the silt out of my motor, intercoolers and turbos.

The siren call of 'air intakes' is powerful- it is extraordinarily profitable, and it is easy for owners to install, and they get hard ons when they pop the hood and rev the motor.... it takes a lot to resist.

If I could find an intake that actually tested filtration efficiency- and flow resistance in pressure drop- so I knew how it compared to stock- I'd consider it. But all we get is questionable dyno tests and testimonials.

Replace the stock paper filter every other oil change- the paper is superior at trapping fine particles that will otherwise get into the motor past a K&N... but when they do trap these particles they flow less...so change them more frequently- you will have higher flow than most drivers, and higher filtration than ANY aftermarket 'performance' filter.

My 10 cents....

A
Old 12-16-2008 | 02:46 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is a small visual test that you can run.

Pull your air intake piping to one turbocharger air inlet.

View and take a picture of your compressor wheel.

Install the K&N run it for 3 months and the remove the piping to inspect the turbocharger.

I know what the results will be, but someone "else" can do a blind test and post there own results.

However, you can run the K&N IF you remove the oil from the element, you will have to wash the element every month.

Adam has mentioned valid points.
Old 12-17-2008 | 07:07 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

I inherited K&A filter. Car is flashed (1.2 bar), and I have Cargraphics exhaust. I was thinking going back to stock air filter as I agree with what was said. Will that result in anything I should worry about – flash wise - air to fuel mixture and such?
Old 12-17-2008 | 07:17 PM
Alex_55
Intermediate

i had the same question !

i put the K&N filter so far so good, hope that i don't blow the maf !

( i didn't put the filter for MORE power or something like that just added because i heard that they are more good that the stock ones ! but after i bought it some people said that is not good but some other people said that is good ) )
Old 12-17-2008 | 09:28 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SimonK
I inherited K&A filter. Car is flashed (1.2 bar), and I have Cargraphics exhaust. I was thinking going back to stock air filter as I agree with what was said. Will that result in anything I should worry about – flash wise - air to fuel mixture and such?
No.
Old 12-17-2008 | 10:13 PM
Abakar
Track Day

Ok, all the reasons are solid. But what happens with all those cold air intakes that are offering? all of them uses K&N´s and for worst in a much small filtration area than stock air filters. Then what is the big buzz about them that you are gaining HP with those systems? Is it true? If we go by the facts posted here the anwers will be NO!
Old 12-17-2008 | 11:16 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

I have chosen to stay stock. If I had way more power or had the time to deal with it every few weeks....but as is, I like clean air in my motor (no wear causing grit)....

Why would a company like Porsche ...not use a cheap thing like a filter if it was better.....and so easy to make power. I suspect it is not a real issue under 600 - 700 hp. Higher...ask Kevin.

Race teams rebuild their engines a lot. I don't want to do that....

:-)

JB
Old 12-18-2008 | 03:21 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Abakar
Ok, all the reasons are solid. But what happens with all those cold air intakes that are offering? all of them uses K&N´s and for worst in a much small filtration area than stock air filters. Then what is the big buzz about them that you are gaining HP with those systems? Is it true? If we go by the facts posted here the anwers will be NO!
There are plenty of scam products sold where buyers swear they are better. People spend $500, they like what it looks like, the intake noise is louder, it jsut FEELS faster... butt dyno says so...

There is hardly any good info on improved performance with these intakes (Keep in mind that the stock intake is a cold air intake...the 'improved' intakes use the same source of air, sot they are not getting any colder air!)

Read this: http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

what do you think about the K&N filter? Separate from the issue of increased HP.
Old 12-18-2008 | 04:27 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Guys, there is one thing though; The OEM filter is designed to work both in an urban city (little dust) and the Australian desert (dust galore) environment. Although I concur to everything that was said here and agree with “spicer”, to be fair to K&N one thing must be considered; if you live and drive mostly in low dust environment, I really think K&N won’t let in the amount of dust that would suffocate your engine versus the use of OEM filter. Barring in mind that K&N gives 1 million engine miles warranty on their products, I doubt any 996TT engine will clog up and die due to non OEM filter. Even our bullet proof engines won’t last that long, but then again who knows, it’s a Porsche afterall… :-).
Old 12-18-2008 | 05:15 AM
Alex_55
Intermediate

so, if i put the K&N filter ( in box ) and you guys said that is bad, how about this airbox kit from evoms !!!???
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2008 | 12:55 PM
mikerosi
Racer

[QUOTE=Alex_55;6101139]so, if i put the K&N filter ( in box ) and you guys said that is bad, how about this airbox kit from evoms !!!???[/QUOT
Talking about "bad" that evoms box is probably the worst one out there. I would stay away from that one if you want peace of mind.
Old 12-18-2008 | 02:22 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Yeah what Mike said. The EVO box is WELL KNOWN to cause MAF issues. Search here or 6 speed. You will have hundreds of posts to read.
Old 12-18-2008 | 05:53 PM
Alex_55
Intermediate

ok guys, thank you, i will buy the oem filter ! 100euro going to dust !
Old 12-19-2008 | 12:29 AM
Abakar
Track Day

ok is proven we have the MAF issue. But it is a fack that the turbos breath better with the K&N oviuos is less restricted than factory air filter so less effort. Then why is no HP gain?

Quick Reply: Is it K&N Air Filters bad for MAF?