Dead Battery, cascade of problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:48 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery, cascade of problems

I had my Porsche Battery "tender" plugged into the cigarette lighter of my 02 996 X50 since last using the car a month ago or so. Second battery, an Interstate. Last Sunday, went to take it to Philly, on a gorgeous PA fall day. Battery was Dead as a door nail. Couldn't get the bonnet to open. I plugged on of my "Battery Tenders" (brand) in to the cigarette lighter to see if I could get enough juice in the battery for a bit to pop the lid. When trying this the dash lights would flick on and off, then there was a humming type of noise
coming from the fuse box area, almost like a faint version of your seat beat isn't snapped. Since we were away for the day, I didn't leave it connected. Monda, I reconnected the "Battery Tender" and left it overnight. The next morning, the bonnet still won't open and now the trickle charger light is flashing that there isn't a connection. I pulled the cigarette lighter fuse, assuming it blew, but it is fine.

I'm going to try the fuse box/battery jump to get the bonnet open, but really concerned that the lighter connection doesn't seem to work anymore. Any thoughts? And yes, all the polarities are connected properly on the chargers.
As of now I have a really expensive paperweight.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-15-2008, 02:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a connection in the fusebox to connect a 12VDC source (battery or charger) to enable you to open the bonnet.
It is described in the owner's manual IIRC.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:25 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
There is a connection in the fusebox to connect a 12VDC source (battery or charger) to enable you to open the bonnet.
It is described in the owner's manual IIRC.

Excellent bit of info for future reference there....thank you!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:38 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I think he knows about the fuse box jumper (at least he says it in his post). Sorry to hear about that....I know I had a problem with my lighter socket at one time....I had to pry the connectors back out to make a better contact. I've never liked the lighter tenders....mine is direct connected to the battery and plugs under the hood. I can see it charging by the lights on the tender.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

An Update. I was able to open the bonnet with a jump from my 25 yr Gravely after following the link, posted here to the RennTech website. Actually, my owner's manual states when the battery is dead, the bonnet can't be opened. Thanks to this website for the help to get the Bonnet (hood) opened via the fuse box jumper. When I connected the jumper cables the alarm sounded loudly, but the hood wouldn't open. When I shut off the alarm with my key, the bonnet opened with the toggle switch at the door sill.
When I placed my charger on the 2+- yr old Interstate battery poles, I received a code on the charger that the battery was waaaay too dead to be charged. So I pulled it and took it back to the shop that I bought it from 2 yrs ago and he will put it on the charger, etc and get back to me tomorrow.
More then.
Steve
Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As previously mentioned, a 'direct wired' Schumacher (or equivalent) trickle charger would help.

http://store.schumachermart.com/mc-1.html
http://store.schumachermart.com/sem-1562a.html
Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 AM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Last Update. My local shop, from whom I bought the Interstate originally, put it on his shop charger and "returned it to life." Put the battery back in the 996 and reset the battery code. The Porsche lighter charger appears dead. I connected my Battery Tender brand in the lighter and all is fine.
thanks for the help.
regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: Dead Battery, cascade of problems