Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Being that our engines are a flat 6.. Gravity plays into the issue. Oil will drain around the pistons and find it's way into the combustion chamber. That's why a puff on start up will occur when the car is started in some instances. With the 996TT engine Porsche required Mahle to pin the 2nd piston ring. It is held at 2 o'clock position, the pin keeps it from rotating. However, your top and bottom oil rings could rotate to 6 o'clock thus causing oil issues.

I would bet that your turbochargers are leaking. Did you install check valves on top of the Garrett's? If not you might have oil migrating thru your turbochargers when your engine is off. To check this you will have to pull your exhaust off on look at the turbine wheel. If it is wet with oil you have found your problem. A leakdown test will rule out your rings and guides if this concerns you.

Email me if you need other turbo links. I have posted a good turbocharger leaking thread on Rennlist 993TT forum.

Last edited by Kevin; 09-29-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:32 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To clarify- Kevin said you CAN get a msifre code with a bent rod- absence of a misfire is not proof there isn't a bent rod.

Also, you should hgave installed NEW check valves- not the old ones.

http://www.turboflatsix.com/destroy-...194.html?t=194

GL

A
Old 09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
kcphuah
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 31 Posts

Kevin, i just sent an email to you, can you please check. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kevin
Being that our engines are a flat 6.. Gravity plays into the issue. Oil will drain around the pistons and find it's way into the combustion chamber. That's why a puff on start up will occur when the car is started in some instances. With the 996TT engine Porsche required Mahle to pin the 2nd piston ring. It is held at 2 o'clock position, the pin keeps it from rotating. However, your top and bottom oil rings could rotate to 6 o'clock thus causing oil issues.

I would bet that your turbochargers are leaking. Did you install check valves on top of the Garrett's? If not you might have oil migrating thru your turbochargers when your engine is off. To check this you will have to pull your exhaust off on look at the turbine wheel. If it is wet with oil you have found your problem. A leakdown test will rule out your rings and guides if this concerns you.

Email me if you need other turbo links. I have posted a good turbocharger leaking thread on Rennlist 993TT forum.

Quick Reply: Help me understand this overrev.....