Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disappointed and giving up for now...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Disappointed and giving up for now...

I can honestly say that these past two months of turbo searching has worn me out and left me disappointed. I've had two turbos lined up for me to purchase and both at the ninth hour, something happened to deter the purchase. First was a seal gray in SF that Hurricane Ike prevented me from flying up to purchase. After having a hard time rescheduling with the seller, I decided to look for another. I found one on Ebay being sold by a porsche dealer in Philly. After negotiating and having him tell me it's a perfect car with nothing wrong but a few rock chips, I booked a last minute flight to Philly and checked it out. When I first pulled up, it looked really nice but I started to notice a lot of door dings. I went for a test drive (WOW IT's FAST) and when I got out to take a closer look, I started to notice quite a few more things wrong (two main things being a cracked taillight and body work done on the rear quarter panel and not to mention a lot of door dings). Trying to work something out, I had the general manager tell me to my face "I don't care what is wrong, I gave you a good price so if you want it, fine... and if you don't, you don't have to buy it but I will not negotiate on the price any more."
When I brought it to his attention that he stated there was nothing more than rock chips, his response was "well, I didn't see it". Kind of hard not to see and I noticed it right away.... go figure

The last time I felt like this was when I was trying to buy a used acura integra and everyone I looked at was either grossly misrepresented or out of my grasp somehow.

I'm out the cost of two PPI's, a round trip plane ticket (which I had to sleep at the airport terminal for 6 hours) and a lost deposit for a transport company. I did learn a couple very valuable lessons though, the main one is never trust someone you don't know and two... buy one locally!

So... I'm taking a break from trying to find "my" porsche. If anyone has any leads on a very clean, babied, no-issue black turbo, please send them my way.

Edwin
Old 09-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your bad experience Edwin. I'd be disheartened as well after all that.
Searching for your new car should be fun imho.
I'm not sure how good a deal you want but porsche panorama mag has some nice cars in it.
You may want to talk to porsche service shops as they sometimes know about cars for sale and will often be able to tell you how 'good' the car really is.
Many PCA chapters have classifieds and if you run across a car that has participated in concours competition it's very likely that car is going to look nice, lol.
Good luck and start the chase again when you feel up to it. This is a great time to be in the market to buy one of these cars.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Brad,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I truly thought I found "it" but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Congrats to you though on picking Scott's car. That car is serious and I hope you enjoy it in good health. Thanks for the little tips, I'll look into it. You're right though...this search should be fun but it has not been that by any means for me.

Edwin
Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are trying to hard be patient keep your chin up and let the car pick the driver.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

It's not hard at all to find one...

Mine's for sale.

Mike
Old 09-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mine's for sale.

Mike
What!!??? Why!!???

There you go Edwin...
Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Roslyn porsche has a couple of black ones.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Edwin if you become a member you'll get access to for sale items including cars by our good members, just a thought.
Good luck.
Sam
Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Pauly90266
Instructor

Third time may be the charm, so don't give up.

Once you find the right one and start driving it around, you will know that the time you spent was well worth it.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:05 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly

Mine's for sale.

Mike
Mike, thanks but I'm looking for a stock, unmodded turbo.

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Edwin if you become a member you'll get access to for sale items including cars by our good members, just a thought.
Good luck.
Sam
Sam, I never even thought about that as I thought I Was a member already. Signed up now

Originally Posted by Pauly90266
Third time may be the charm, so don't give up.

Once you find the right one and start driving it around, you will know that the time you spent was well worth it.
I sure hope so. This last one was nice (black/black with red stitching). I hope to find another just like that

If anyone has any leads, please let me know.

Edwin
Old 09-21-2008, 10:14 PM
CAPTLST
Instructor

Be patient one will turn up. Looking for the right one is the fun part...
Old 09-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Edwin: Hang in there buddy...join the forum...look at the ads...also look at PCA ads and try to hook up with a Rennlist, RennTech, or SixSpeed paid member....they usually have history you can look up by reviewing all the posts they've eve made...most usually involve things they've done to their cars, or issues that they've run into. I'll give you a hand with anything in the greater San Francisco Bay area...I've got a couple daughters who live in SF...and since I'm retired, I can visit them and take a look at a car for you.

Fear not...ther's plenty of them out there, and now is the time for excellent deals. There's one, sitting in a garage somewhere with your name on it.

chuck
Old 09-21-2008, 11:05 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't despair, we have all been through this before. It's a tremendous buyers market, post a few wanted ads and you should all set. You are doing the right thing- if car is not what you want walk!
Phil
Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Shane D
Pro

Originally Posted by m32
So... I'm taking a break from trying to find "my" porsche. If anyone has any leads on a very clean, babied, no-issue black turbo, please send them my way.

Edwin
Have you ever heard of PML? It is a cool magazine with lots of Porsches for sale and plus regular Porsche articles.
www.pmletter.com
Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the one in SF sell to someone else??

Sorry to hear. Ask members to do drivebys and check out at least the visual conditions... it is inexcuseable that they had you fly up to philly when the exterior had those issues!

Hang in there...

A

Quick Reply: Disappointed and giving up for now...