Old 09-22-2008 | 09:53 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Don't give up! It only takes one.
Old 09-22-2008 | 10:56 AM
m32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAPTLST
Be patient one will turn up. Looking for the right one is the fun part...
Thanks. I'll try to be patient but it's hard when I have parts already showing up at the house b/c I thought I had this deal closed

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Edwin: Hang in there buddy...join the forum...look at the ads...also look at PCA ads and try to hook up with a Rennlist, RennTech, or SixSpeed paid member....they usually have history you can look up by reviewing all the posts they've eve made...most usually involve things they've done to their cars, or issues that they've run into. I'll give you a hand with anything in the greater San Francisco Bay area...I've got a couple daughters who live in SF...and since I'm retired, I can visit them and take a look at a car for you.

Fear not...ther's plenty of them out there, and now is the time for excellent deals. There's one, sitting in a garage somewhere with your name on it.

chuck
Chuck, you know I am thankful for your offer to help.

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Don't despair, we have all been through this before. It's a tremendous buyers market, post a few wanted ads and you should all set. You are doing the right thing- if car is not what you want walk!
Phil
Thanks Phil. I will post up some WTB ads today.

Originally Posted by Shane D
Have you ever heard of PML? It is a cool magazine with lots of Porsches for sale and plus regular Porsche articles.
www.pmletter.com
I'll look into that. Thanks

Originally Posted by adam_
Did the one in SF sell to someone else??

Sorry to hear. Ask members to do drivebys and check out at least the visual conditions... it is inexcuseable that they had you fly up to philly when the exterior had those issues!

Hang in there...

A
Adam, I believe it's still for sale I think but it's just too much of a hassle to arrange shipping of the car, storing of the car somewhere while the transporter comes as well as shipping out back stock parts. Just way too much headache for me right now.

Originally Posted by David A
Don't give up! It only takes one.
I haven't yet
Old 09-22-2008 | 11:27 AM
thth
Advanced

M32,

I have been looking for 3 months now...and found the yellow one to set my heart for, but people in here say no no to the exterior color......hence, I've changed my mind.

Which Porsche dealer are you looking at in Philly? So, I don't have to waste my time with them.

Thank you
Old 09-22-2008 | 12:09 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thth
M32,

I have been looking for 3 months now...and found the yellow one to set my heart for, but people in here say no no to the exterior color......hence, I've changed my mind.

Which Porsche dealer are you looking at in Philly? So, I don't have to waste my time with them.

Thank you
I believe the color you choose should be what you want. Everyone has varying opinions. The dealership I went to was Don Rosen Imports. I have bought a few cars from dealerships (none used though) and I felt very uneasy while I was there. Although I was disappointed when I drove off, I felt relieved b/c I felt they were trying to push me to the car. Hope you find the one you are looking for

Edwin
Old 09-22-2008 | 01:20 PM
ait109
Advanced

Edwin,

My purchase process probably lasted around 6 months. There were many confusing and frustrating moments when sellers wouldn't return my calls or emails, or never showed up for a PPI that I scheduled, or when the PPI found a deal-breaker. I made offers on a half dozen cars that were rejected (IMHO fair, not lowball.) But through it all, I continued to refine what I was looking for and stuck to my goals. In fact, I found that as time went on, my mindset changed from an emotion dominated one, in which I tried to rationalize purchasing any clean car I saw, to a more calm and collected one, where I knew what was right for me and was able to pursue it without distraction (ok, there is never NO distraction especially with all of the nicely modded cars out here.) Remember that in the end, this will be YOUR car, not your buddy's or the folks' on this forum.

In the end, I got MY car, at my price, and I'm going to keep her forever. It's been less than a month and all the crap I had to deal with is ancient history.

Of course, now I have a whole new set of problems ranging from what wax to use to which tires are better and obsessively evaluating every parking spot before picking one

My advice: take a week off, then get back at it. The same old cars will be available along with a bunch of new ones. Don't compromise with what you want and don't feel like you've wasted too much money on PPIs already that you forgo them going forward. You are buying a Porsche 911 Turbo. Don't ever forget that.

Good luck.

Ed
Old 09-22-2008 | 01:37 PM
ait109
Advanced

Originally Posted by thth
M32,

Thank you
I first wanted yellow, but eventually decided that it was too flashy. I then wanted silver or seal gray since they were nice safe colors. My buddy has black - he kept telling me to get black. But I didn't want black. But then again, lots of people like black, why couldn't I learn to like it? After looking at colors of other cars and imaging passing a 911 turbos in varous colors as I was driving, I decided that silver was too ordinary, so I wanted yellow again. But again it seemed too flashy so I started looking for something that draws slightly less attention.

Only you know how you will use your car and what you feel comfortable with. Get the car in the color that you want.

Ed
Old 09-22-2008 | 01:38 PM
thth
Advanced

Originally Posted by m32
I believe the color you choose should be what you want. Everyone has varying opinions. The dealership I went to was Don Rosen Imports. I have bought a few cars from dealerships (none used though) and I felt very uneasy while I was there. Although I was disappointed when I drove off, I felt relieved b/c I felt they were trying to push me to the car. Hope you find the one you are looking for

Edwin
Thank you so much for sharing !
Old 09-22-2008 | 01:39 PM
thth
Advanced

smc20g,

Your setting in this forums is not accepted PM.

Thank you
Old 09-22-2008 | 04:22 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

....." I found that as time went on, my mindset changed from an emotion dominated one, in which I tried to rationalize purchasing any clean car I saw, to a more calm and collected one, where I knew what was right for me and was able to pursue it without distraction..."

That is SO TRUE......when you start out looking, you are frequently motivated by emotion...a particular color....that it's got some carbon fibre, or nice looking wheels, or has some mods, or is (allegedly) stock. My first Porsche I bought on emotion and impulse....based upon the color and wheels....of course there was a PPI but the entire transaction was long distance and I didint go see it in person. As it turned out, everything came together....but the deal was driven by emotion. I think I was lucky becasue there are a number of horror stories about witheld information and hedging on service records.

Ed is right on with his comments....your best bet is to take your time....read up on what sorts of things are right/wrong with some of the models...then decide.

For instance, I bought a 99 996 C2 from a broker in New York..loved the Iris blue and interior...but later I found that there was a propensity for certain engine failures (this is a sore subject with some 99 owners who claim it's overblown)...but nevertheless, it made me a bit anxious and I realized that I hadn't really done enough research and I wouldnt' have bought that model or year car had I checked further. Next time around, I was much more cautious and thorough. You at least jumped on a plane and went to see it....good for you...and it sounds like you aren't an emotional buyer. Time is on your side, and you have folks willing to help.

Best of luck...it's waiting for you somewhere....

Chuck
Old 09-22-2008 | 04:59 PM
thth
Advanced

Originally Posted by ait109
I first wanted yellow, but eventually decided that it was too flashy. I then wanted silver or seal gray since they were nice safe colors. My buddy has black - he kept telling me to get black. But I didn't want black. But then again, lots of people like black, why couldn't I learn to like it? After looking at colors of other cars and imaging passing a 911 turbos in varous colors as I was driving, I decided that silver was too ordinary, so I wanted yellow again. But again it seemed too flashy so I started looking for something that draws slightly less attention.

Only you know how you will use your car and what you feel comfortable with. Get the car in the color that you want.

Ed
Sorry, I missed your post.

I like black but my benz is already black....
I also have a red one for over 10 years, so you know...how I feel now lollllllll

I have always wanted a yellow Porsche.......but I am afraid my eyes will getting tire in the long run....

I love the silver or dark gray with gray interior.......if could not find one to fit my liking, I probably am go with the regular 911...no turbo....

There is no way to pay for that much and not get the one you really heart for.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-22-2008 | 06:59 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

I think I might look at it a bit differently. Used cars are a "buyer beware" environment, and your caution has prevented you from being stuck with a car you would regret owning. So, you are doing the right thing.
The typical owner who purchased a 996tt new, lost about $20,000 a year in depreciation. If you keep working on it and get the car you want, you will be saving a small fortune. That is worth the extra time it takes to make a good decision. You should enjoy the process, as you are seeking to satisfy yourself. It will happen when the right opportunity presents. In the meantime, no worries. AS
Old 09-22-2008 | 08:46 PM
ppbskis
Racer

My turbo is for sale
33000 miles with 2 months cpo left.
Old 09-22-2008 | 09:28 PM
SeanE55-AMG
Intermediate

I had a dealer tell me the same good things about a gray one in Atlanta. Indy PPI said nearly every panel on the car had paintwork, and there were some mechanical problems as well.

The other car I found was from any individual, but there were title problems.

Finally found one a few weeks later.

Hang in there. In the end I'd rather spend hundreds in PPI's that didn't work out than get a bad car.
Old 09-23-2008 | 12:08 PM
m32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
....." I found that as time went on, my mindset changed from an emotion dominated one, in which I tried to rationalize purchasing any clean car I saw, to a more calm and collected one, where I knew what was right for me and was able to pursue it without distraction..."

That is SO TRUE......when you start out looking, you are frequently motivated by emotion...a particular color....that it's got some carbon fibre, or nice looking wheels, or has some mods, or is (allegedly) stock. My first Porsche I bought on emotion and impulse....based upon the color and wheels....of course there was a PPI but the entire transaction was long distance and I didint go see it in person. As it turned out, everything came together....but the deal was driven by emotion. I think I was lucky becasue there are a number of horror stories about witheld information and hedging on service records.

Ed is right on with his comments....your best bet is to take your time....read up on what sorts of things are right/wrong with some of the models...then decide.

For instance, I bought a 99 996 C2 from a broker in New York..loved the Iris blue and interior...but later I found that there was a propensity for certain engine failures (this is a sore subject with some 99 owners who claim it's overblown)...but nevertheless, it made me a bit anxious and I realized that I hadn't really done enough research and I wouldnt' have bought that model or year car had I checked further. Next time around, I was much more cautious and thorough. You at least jumped on a plane and went to see it....good for you...and it sounds like you aren't an emotional buyer. Time is on your side, and you have folks willing to help.

Best of luck...it's waiting for you somewhere....

Chuck
Chuck,

I definitely agree. I remember the first time I started to seriously look for the turbo, I was chompinng at the bits. Any decent looking turbo, I would make an offer on even if it wasn't my exact color. I am "learning" to wait for the one I want. That vert would've been perfect if it didn't have the damage. I'm sure there's another one out there somewhere

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
I think I might look at it a bit differently. Used cars are a "buyer beware" environment, and your caution has prevented you from being stuck with a car you would regret owning. So, you are doing the right thing.
The typical owner who purchased a 996tt new, lost about $20,000 a year in depreciation. If you keep working on it and get the car you want, you will be saving a small fortune. That is worth the extra time it takes to make a good decision. You should enjoy the process, as you are seeking to satisfy yourself. It will happen when the right opportunity presents. In the meantime, no worries. AS
Alexander, yes you make some great points. Now that the disappointment and despair is slowly passing, I do not regret not purchasing either cars. You're right in that the oppurtunity has not presented itself yet. I just have to be patient

Thank you all for the kind/encouraging words

Edwin
Old 09-23-2008 | 06:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Hunt is the best part and prices plummet in the cold!

Quick Reply: Disappointed and giving up for now...