Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996tt coilover options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 PM
MGS996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my X73 suspension about 12 months ago (have approx 600 miles on them now). The improvement against the standard suspension is well worth the upgrade. However I wish now I went with either JRZ’s or PSS9’s. Having an adjustable package has its benefits.

Mikelly, what rubber bushings did you replace? What product did you use?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Pss9's sux get MOtONs you'll thank me later...
Old 08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I don't view the X73 as a "coil" over option. It's a non-adjustable shock and for anything beyond the "intermediate" driving range of HPDEs you'll drive past that shock... That's my opinion, anyway.

It's this:

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...Code=996ttsusp

Mike
Well, it's a shock with a coil spring around it so it's a coilover to me. I ran it extensively on my c4s in the advanced group without issue. What it happens to be is the factory competition suspension specifically designed for your car, I thought it was great. If you're not into adjusting your shocks all the time, esp at the DE level this is a good option. On the track it is lightyears above the pss9 at least to me. The Motons are a different matter completely. Now that is the ultimate suspension!
There are a lot of different alternatives out there, this is just one of them, plus it's oem. I wish they offered it for my car now. Just throwing another option on the table. GL either way. Ken had an extensive writeup on pss9s on 6 speed a couple of years ago, both the pros and cons, esp bump steer issues with some instillations. It's a good read.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:09 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

not again...I love guys that have opinions about suspension systems THEY HAVE NEVER HAD...
Old 08-15-2008, 08:24 PM
KellyT
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my JIC's. Way better than OEM!
Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by wross996tt
not again...I love guys that have opinions about suspension systems THEY HAVE NEVER HAD...
Kinda like hen guys who have NEVER BEEN TO THE TRACK talk about track setups.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:54 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Well I have been to the track (Pueblo in southern CO) and I still do not recommend set-ups for track cars...just being to the track doesn't mean sh*t. I defer to guys like Mike and Tom for track set-up info.

On the track it is lightyears above the pss9 at least to me.
I still think those that HAVE NEVER USED A particular coilover should NOT comment on it. Comment on your own set-up and leave comparisons to those that know better.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Statman, I'll post where I want, when I want, so get over yourself. Just giving the OP another option.
c
Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Statman, I'll post where I want, when I want, so get over yourself. Just giving the OP another option.
c
Well that is stating the obvious...just don't let your OPINIONs (because you have never had any suspension other than 73s) sound like they are more than that...

BTW what do you know about motons?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Motons are overkill on a street car, primarily a race setup, very $$.
True, on my old c4s all I had was the x73, but I've had coilovers on several other(mostly race) cars.
My current 997tt has a stage 2 gmg suspension consisting of springs, sways, toe links, dog bones, cup adj trailing arms and solid thrust bushings. All setup by farnbacherloles. pretty tight at the track.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MGS996

Mikelly, what rubber bushings did you replace? What product did you use?

Thanks.

I'm replacing the stock rubber uppers in the struts, the rubber in the Forks that bolt to the control arms, the motor mounts, and probably the rubber in the control arms, along with the toe links.

I expect to spend about $2500 on all that (with my labor of course) by the time I'm done.

Mike
Old 08-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you over your opinion... It's yours and you're welcome to it. But lets try to give accurate info so people can make informed decisions...

HAVE you driven on PSS9s yourself? I have and can attest to their shortfalls... Ken's thread on 6speeds was a good read, but was a snapshot on what he experienced with his car. My car is significantly lower than his and does not bottom out. Why do we suppose that is? Probably a lot of things, not the least of which is the setup.. PSS9s on MY car are working well. Many here have seen the car perform, and a few have ridden in it and can attest to the ride height, along with the performance and "daily driver" mannors... Again, Just another perspective...

WHY I'll keep them over going to JICs? Factory support. I can and will send these back to Bilstein over the winter and have them re-worked to the proper "use"... It'll cost me, sure, but I have zero invested in them, since they came on the car...

And for the record, MOST of the automotive community consider "coil" overs as height adjustable shock/spring combos... The X73s lower the car about 20MM... Less than an inch, and you're stuck there... If that works for you, then have at it. But at that price, you could step up to something that will and does work better for the majority of those who learn to drive their cars hard on track...

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 08-18-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Yes Mike, I've driven pss9 cars. The x73 will lower you 30mm, that's well over an inch. But it's just another option.
BTW, GMG makes a nice solid adjustable thrust bushing that would work in your setup, might consider cup adj trailing arms too.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

From the suncoast link I provided above... Picking nits here, but what the heck:

X73 Carrera Race Suspension - Turbo C4S

Quantity in Basket: none
Code: X73carrera
Price: $2,549.00

Porsche's ultimate suspension upgrade for your 996 C4S or Turbo coupe, and this will drop the car 20mm. Each kit will increase the suspension's firmness, and reduce bodyroll.

Retail price is $2925!

Parts Included:
Complete Front Struts
Complete Rear Struts
Pair of Motor Mounts

As I told Michael on the phone previously, The X73 is fine for street applications with a few DEs per year. But if you're doing 10 or more days per year, you'll outgrow them, or be limited to driving within their constraints and not be able to grow beyond that constraint.

Just depends on what your "tracking" goals are, I suppose.

Mike
Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Suncoast had it on sale for 1695$ last month, I love picking nits.

Quick Reply: 996tt coilover options?