No radio sound output

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:24 AM
usarugger
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No radio sound output

Hello all,
Recently my radio would not power on at all. The fuse behind the deck/head unit was out.....so now the radio powers on, but no sound. Checked voltage to amp and its getting power...also, the CD changer seems to have no power. No sound to the speakers.....any ideas??

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2008, 09:57 AM
naptownmike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

did you try the security code for the radio?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

he doesn't need a code for an 03...it is stored in the DME. Well electrical faults can be fun...

you have checked D8, D9 and E1. If this is the case, unfortunately your head unit may be fried. I had to have mine replaced long ago.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM
usarugger
Track Day

Yea, I checked all the fuses.....the head unit powers up and CD operates, just no sound. Voltage all the way to amp too. Can this all happen from a jumpstart/batt charge?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:43 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

You will need to check the wiring...perhaps you disconnected the ring (optical ring of the MOST) system. This should not happen as a result of a jump.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the fuses are good - chances are you have a bad amp.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:43 PM
usarugger
Track Day

No fuse on the amp? None that I could find anyway,....is there a better/upgraded amp I could use instead of the one that's in there? Aftermarket?
Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by usarugger
No fuse on the amp? None that I could find anyway,....is there a better/upgraded amp I could use instead of the one that's in there? Aftermarket?
No fuse on the amplfiier assembly, by spec/design.

Aftermarket: no and yes.
No: there are no aftermarket MOST (plastic optical fiber, MY03+) amplfiiers availalbe.
Yes: if you replace the headunit, you can install any analog/copper wire based headunit/amplifier you chose (single or double DIN; both have been described/photographed in various forums here on Rennlist)

There is a known 'no audio' condition; the headunit appears to be fully functional (menus, on screen display, etc), just no audio. It is normally an intermittent condition, but the fix is a F/W update for the amplfiier (or replace the amplifier; dealer choice)
Is your headunit dead or does it appear to be fully functional?
Old 08-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 31 Posts
Lightbulb Try this..............

I've had this occur a few times over my 5 years of ownership. The radio is "On" but no sound on radio or CD. Shut off the engine, close the doors, and lock you car with the key transmitter. Reopen with the transmitter and try the radio again. I've found that by resetting the "immobilizer security system" that it restores the radio functions.

Good liuck,
Old 08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
I've had this occur a few times over my 5 years of ownership. The radio is "On" but no sound on radio or CD. Shut off the engine, close the doors, and lock you car with the key transmitter. Reopen with the transmitter and try the radio again. I've found that by resetting the "immobilizer security system" that it restores the radio functions.
The root cause of the issue was a known F/W issue inside the amplifier (regarding initialization of the DSP from the main microprocessor...basically a timing issue and code issue).
The F/W was re-written and reissued as a fix a while back and there have been very few reports of issues since.
The dealer can update the F/W in the amplifier via CDROM or PIWIS, although PCNA will likely just allow them to replace the amplifier with a newer one that has the latest code.

Quick Reply: No radio sound output