Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Motorwerks has "lowered" the price of Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stat: You are a bad influence. Probably should be banned...but although you talk a good story, after all is said and done, you're still running bone stock.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:13 PM
SeattleDL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I waited two months before I got my UMW flash and DV's.

I can't believe I wasted all that time...

dave

'01 996tt UMW flash, DV's, big yellow brakes
Old 08-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Seattle: What bar are you running at WOT now? Although you may be perfectly happy with the performance, I found that the wastegate kit was a great addition to the upgrade. In looking at the kit I initially thought that it seemed rather simplistic....but ARD and Kevin both told me that it would really make a difference...and it certainly did. Something to consider perhaps down the road...with a hint to the wife for a birthday present or whatever.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:27 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

As I understand it, the wastegate kit really doesn't help K16s... the K24s in the X50 will continue to build boost to redline, hence beefing up the wastegate springs will retain that boost. With the K16s they flatten out and the stock wastegate can handle what they deliver.

Like I said, as I understand it..

A
Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Adam: Good point....thanks for the distinction.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:12 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chuck, as said above, I have the K16 turbos, so the wastegates aren't going to do much.

Right now I have 1 bar steady and 1.2 spikes. I'm pretty happy with the performance as is, but I'm sure I will get used to it!
Old 08-05-2008, 02:17 AM
dustinr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boss351
I am sure the answer is more involved but the tune will probably step you up relatively more in boost on a K16 car to a K24, so, just a simple tune, nothing else, you may expect more of an increase in hp/torque over base with a K16 car vs a K24 car that has a higher base already.

Does that sound right?

On my unflashed X50 I see solid 0.8 bar on hard acceleration in 3rd and 4th, often holding 0.9. What do you see on a non 'S' or X50 Turbo that hasn't been flashed?

After the flash the boost may be north of 1.1 bar on all of the versions, Turbo, X50 or S. So the regular Turbo is gaining more in terms of extra boost over stock than the X50 or S cars..

Flame suit on, this is just my guess.
1 Bar of boost on K16's isn't the same as 1 Bar of boost on K24's...
Pressure is just the measurment most people understand so that's what they talk about. CFM is the other measurment to take into account. Cubic Feet per Minute. The volume of air that is being forced into the motor. Think of it like a water hose; your normal garden hose may flow 5 gallons per minute at 20psi (I'm fabricating these numbers) whereas a fire hose may flow 40 gallons per minute at the same 20psi. When you're talking air it's CFM and PSI. PSI alone doesn't really tell you much, and when it comes to turbos they each have a different compressor map and effective range. Generally a small turbo can make a lot of boost but it doesn't have the cfm and therefore it's looses it's effectiveness at higher boost pressures and creates more heat than a larger unit operating at the same pressures.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:33 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

The compressor wheel in the K16 frame size is a K24 compressor wheel. Just a bit smaller.

The reason why I don't recommend the wastegate kit is that most folks will overspin the K16 turbocharger trying to crank up the boost>cranks up the shaft RPM.. Three things usually happen. The turbine wheel snaps in half, the compressor nuts spins off, or we lose the thrust. More importantly the wheel has started to run out of it's efficiency map and this results in pumping hot air into your IC. Which is similar to what Dustinr has written. However, it is the larger turbine wheel that has lowered the shaft speed on the K24 compressor wheel, keeping the (little larger) bigger brother X50/GT2 K24 compressor wheel in it's efficiency range. While the K16 turbine (smaller K24 comp wheel) spins the wheel faster>> It's efficiency range comes sooner in the engine RPM range.

Toss into the mix a larger compressor wheel being installed on a K16.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To answer a few repeated questions that I have received. Yes, the price is "valid" for GT2, and X50 equipted cars.

Yes, the flash is done thru the OBD2 port. I do not need to see your ECU.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:51 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 104 Posts

thanks kevin, i just rec.'d my fedex box today, i will plug it in and send her back. b
Old 08-30-2008, 12:23 AM
Bob M
Instructor

Originally Posted by osu s2k
thanks kevin, i just rec.'d my fedex box today, i will plug it in and send her back. b
X2 Kevin. It's already headed back to you!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bob, forward those logs to me
Old 09-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Bob M
Instructor

Sorry I'm late with this reply Kevin. The logs are on my work 'puter, so I'll forward them to you as soon as I get to the office tomorrow morning. Meant to do it this morning but I got collared as soon as I got through the door. Sure appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks has "lowered" the price of Tuning