Sponsored by:

Suspention Set Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 AM
fstede1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspention Set Up

When I bought my car last August prior owner insalled after market springs with the stock shocks. Car bounced all over the place. Had PSS9 set up instaled and I'v been tweeking the setings, currently set at 8/8. I'm still not happy with the ride quality. Question is, not knowing what a stock ride is like, if I go back to stock shocks and springs am I going to see a big difference in my ride quality?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

you will notice two things...your ride height will be bigger which most people do not like hence one of the main reasons for going with a aftermarket setup. secondly your ride will be more compliant in the sense that it would not be so stiff. i've never been in a tt with the pss9 so really cannot comment on that set-up. many people here like the oem sport set-up which unlike the pss9 is not adjustable, but does stiffen and lowers the ride. i would go that route rather than going back to stock unless your ride is your dd and you frequently travel through rough city roads. i have stock, but many times wish the car was lower. mine is a dd and like the ride quality. so far the ride quality has won over the appearance factor. good luck.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:38 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by manny_g
secondly your ride will be more compliant in the sense that it would not be so stiff.
I have to disagree a little with manny...I have the Euro PSS9s (stiffer springs) and the ride quality in all respects is better than stock. Mine are set to 3F, 2R for street driving. The measure 1-9 is an indicator of rebound (dampening) speed/rate....the lower the number the quicker the rebound (I suppose this gives the impression of stiffer, but it is the spring rate that impacts the stiffness). In any case stock is just not even close to properly set-up PSS9s.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lose the overly stiff aftermarket springs and all will be well. My PSS9's are great and better than stock, and ride height is also good.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fstede1
When I bought my car last August prior owner insalled after market springs with the stock shocks. Car bounced all over the place. Had PSS9 set up instaled and I'v been tweeking the setings, currently set at 8/8. I'm still not happy with the ride quality. Question is, not knowing what a stock ride is like, if I go back to stock shocks and springs am I going to see a big difference in my ride quality?

Thanks
Do you have PSS-9's or the newer PSS-10's? Knowing that will help get your suspension adjusted properly.

Tire pressures play a huge role in ride quality and if they are at factory spec (cold), you might drop them a bit unless you are at the track.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
you might drop them a bit unless you are at the track.
Then you drop them a lot!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 AM
DublinOh
Instructor

I have the pss10 set up...the ride is better than stock, less harsh...I'm set up at 7 front 7 rear. You should know that pss9 are stiffest on low numbers and the pss10 stiffest on higher numbers. Stock springs have more dive/rise on braking/acceleration. Also ride height is at least one inch higher with stock USA springs....and I think there is more roll on stock also. Pss10 really were an improvement for me.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:25 AM
fstede1
Instructor

Thanks for all of the input. I stared at 5r 2f am now at 8/8. I'm going to 7/7 next. Car is not a dd but due to the harsh ride my wife hates the car which at this point puts any good road trips in jeopady if you follow my drift. I have an 84 T-Look Factory Cp that is lowered and has a very stable ride which obviously she rather ride in. On surface streets and ashfalt parts of the SoCal freeways ride is very good. Its on the concreat parts of the freeways that the ride quality becomes very uncomfortable. And yes my setup is the PSS9. I am doing factory tire presure numbers. Any recommendations other than factory presure setting? Again thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

You really need to rethink the settings...

We played around with the PSS9s on my car and found that with the ride height set at about 1/2 inch above full compression (bottoming on the stops) we were able to get the car really low, and with the help of H/R swaybars I was able to get the car to be semi-flat in the corners... but I found that the front must be set softer than the rear or you really screw up the front/rear balance. If you get much lower than that, you're going to get a very HARSH ride, because you'll be bottoming out the shock on the bumpstops. My wife is picky about riding in cars, and she doesn't complain about the ride quality in my TT. If you're on 19 inch wheels, you won't be able to go as low either. But I'd re-check your ride height, because I bet you're just past the limit on hitting the bump stops.

I'd recommend setting them to their stiffer side of settings, and then dialing them BACK OUT for the best balance/comfort/compliance. I'm a track day junky, so I found that my car does the best dual duty with a sporty, but not harsh, setting of 1 on the rear and 3 on the front. We also have the HR sway bars set to the middle hole on all four corners, but I may play with that between now and the August event at Summit Point.

Keep in mind that I drive my car to work, for play, and in general whenever I want. I've taken long trips in it as well...

Mike

Quick Reply: Suspention Set Up