Sponsored by:

Modified OEM muffler - WOW

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified OEM muffler - WOW

I just had my OEM exhaust modified to bore 2" holes in the bend that's visible inside the tailpipe. The sound is amazing... nice throaty growl... bit of a burble on deceleration... no drone... not too loud at highway speeds... exquisite at WOT and full boost.

There is a thread on the 6speed forum where someone did a before and after on a mustang dyno and saw no increase or decrease in peak HP / TQ. but saw 10+ hp and 20- 30 ft-lbs increase across the mid rpm band. There are dyno sheets and pics at this URL.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...86#post1220886

My seat of the pants dyno tells be that I got a noticeable increase in torque which is icing since it sounds so nice. I always felt the stock exhaust was too quiet.

Thanks to TT Tommy from 6 speed who invented this mod.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to give a listen to a car with this mod - anyone in the Chicago area do it?
Old 05-15-2008, 11:21 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Exclamation

I did this "mod" myself last year. Delivers plenty of motor sound, nice growl at low speeds, screams like a banshee at WOT.
HOWEVER, my car (at least) drones like a SOB between about 1800-2200 RPM (55-70 MPH) on the highway, especially under load like up hills. Can't believe virtually no one seems to acknowledge this.
Anyone considering this mod should definitely start with the recommended small 3/4" holes and thoroughly test the result before proceeding. I used a 1-1/2" hole saw which resulted in oval holes probably close to 2" at their widest, so I guess I went overboard. Just have to make sure I never drive below 70!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 PM
rwilliamtaylor
Advanced

Originally Posted by WCE
I did this "mod" myself last year. Delivers plenty of motor sound, nice growl at low speeds, screams like a banshee at WOT.
HOWEVER, my car (at least) drones like a SOB between about 1800-2200 RPM (55-70 MPH) on the highway, especially under load like up hills. Can't believe virtually no one seems to acknowledge this.
Anyone considering this mod should definitely start with the recommended small 3/4" holes and thoroughly test the result before proceeding. I used a 1-1/2" hole saw which resulted in oval holes probably close to 2" at their widest, so I guess I went overboard. Just have to make sure I never drive below 70!
The mechanic that did the mod for me acknowledged that some of the cars had a drone. He makes the hole a specific shape and size and in a specific spot to improve air flow. I'm very happy with the results.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:21 AM
tdub
Instructor

Yeah, I'm the culprit.

No drone, good sound and free.

I'd rather have a Europipe but don't feel like dropping 5K

The sound is half muffled and half straight pipe.

Holes are 1 1/4" straight in from the tailpipes

Bill and Scott Brewester invented this(master Pcar mechanics)

tw

Last edited by tdub; 05-16-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Modified OEM muffler - WOW