Sponsored by:

One Lap 996TT Wins Again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OneLap996tt
The Viper left 10 seconds or so ahead of me, but spun off the track on the fourth corner, going over the grass and stopping on the closed section of the full course! He then started down the closed section to where the south course meets the the end of the esses from the full course. At that junction is where you see the Viper re-enter the track.

Yes, in the rain I'll run with the tration control most of the time. It's a big advantage if you need to turn and brake at the same time.

Mark
Thanks for the reply. It takes a lot of conviction to accelerate that hard in the rain.
I saw your car at Tire Rack the Friday before the start, and admired the clean prep.
I was curious about the rain, as my tt (when stock) tended to push so much on a really wet track that I couldn't really move it with the TC on. I didn't see too much countersteering, so I presumed it was on, but I also didn't sense the power interruption of the TC intrusion. I guess you must have stayed right on the cut out point. Nice job!. AS
Old 05-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Pilot_951S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AS,

You need a Limited Slip Differential. It makes a world of diffference in wet acceleration. After that the suspension gives the car the balance to actually turn in the wet weather. Tuning the dampers makes a huge difference in vehicle performance. We made specific adjustments just for the wet skidpad.

The wet skidpad is an event that we have not historically done very well at. This year we placed better than ever before and it was a good thing we did.

-Drew
#1 996TT Co-Driver
Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Did you keep the 305 front and 335s rear during the rain? I guess you must have adjusted suspension stiffness and downforce as well?

Well done Drew.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm guessing most people don't appreciate how much testing is necessary for 1 Lap. With all the transits, there is no time to work on a car, so clearly, all the work goes in up front. AS
Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Pilot_951S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jean,

The front tires are 275-35-18 and the rears are 315-30-18. We must run the same set of tires both on the road and during the timed events. No changes were made to the aero except at the drag strip where we removed the wing for the first pass. Amusingly the second faster pass we had already put the wing back on, so it would have been faster if the wing was off and the car was making full power, which it was not doing on that day.

For the wet skidpad the dampers were adjusted and the tire pressures were adjusted but I would prefer to keep the nature of the adjustments a secret. We did not adjust the sway bars.

Quick Reply: One Lap 996TT Wins Again!