Sponsored by:

Is Mobil sticking it to us?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is Mobil sticking it to us?

I've been reading the various discussion threads on changing out the transmission and front differential oil on the 996TT and thought I'd tackle that as a DIY task.

There's another thread that goes into the how's and why's...so I started going around and looking for the Mobil 75W-90 transmission oil. I stopped at a couple auto stores...one of which was Kragen's and found it there for $10.99 a quart. It comes in a tall round grey plastic bottle with a pointed pour spout top on it.

I then went to Walmart and found the EXACT same looking bottle but with a label that branded it as "Supertech" for $4.48 a quart. Curious as to why they looked identical except for the labels, I copied off the specs from the Supertech which were printed as follows: API GL-5; API MT-1; SAE J2360; MACK GO-J; Mil-PRF-2105E. The only other identifying info I could find was the label said "Made in Bentonville ARK".....but I don't know if that's the maker of the container or the ingredients. Although I didn't copy down all the label said, essentially it was for extended use in gear boxes where high heat, pressure and/or temperature were present.

I then went back to Kragen's and took a look at the $10.99 Mobil...and all it really said was something like "Used where API GL-5 quality is recommended" with none of the other specifications.

Now I'm not a big believer in coincidence....so I'm wondering just exactly what Mobil has in it that the Supertech doesn't...or visa versa. Also, the Supertech has what looks to be a military specification on it, which are usually some pretty stringent requirements.

So I ask you...Is Mobil sticking it to us at twice the price by slapping their label on it? Or is this just a coincidence?

Chuck
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Chuck, the question is does that fluid meet your needs? I'm swapping my motor oil to Shell Rotella T Synth 5W40 because I can get it reasonably cheap and can't find Mobil1 Delvac 5W40 Synth...

Mike
Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM
joyride5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, the Mobil1 Delvac 5W40 Synth is exactly the same as Mobil1 5W40 Diesel truck/SUV.
Walmart sells it in 4qt containers.
Great stuff~
Old 04-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

The Mobil gear lube that is off the shelf at most stores is not the correct factory replacement gear lube..

If it doesn't say Delvac on it, it's not apples to apples.. The Delvac product has more additives. Stop at your local truck stop or get on the interstate and stop at a large fuel station where trucks also stop.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kevin,

Is this true?

Mike, the Mobil1 Delvac 5W40 Synth is exactly the same as Mobil1 5W40 Diesel truck/SUV.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:24 AM
joyride5
Instructor

From Mobil's site:

Question:
Comparing Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 to Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
How does the new Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 oil compare to Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40? Which is better for my 2003 Ford F-350 Powerstroke diesel?
-- Greg Braden, Rockford, MI
Answer:
Either brand is a great choice since Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 are the same product branded differently for different markets.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi,
Chuck - It appears that "Supertech" lubricants may be supplied as a "contract specification" product and to a price. It will meet the stated specifications and will do the job. IMHO you are best served to use the "branded" and correct specification product in your application and I believe Kevin's comments to be accurate!

Joyride5 - We do not get M1 TDT 5w-40 here in Australia but I believe that to all intents and purposes it is the same as Delvac 1 5w-40. Of course "Delvac" is the Commercial lubricants arm of EM. I use Delvac 1 5w-40 and have done for almost a decade through many formulation changes, many engine types and over millions of kms. It is a different product to Shell Rotella T 5w-40 (Group3) as it has a significant complex ester content and is a Group4/5 product
Shell's Rotella range, Delvac 1300 15w-40 and the Castrol and Delo range (the Commercial "mixed fleet" heavy Duty Engine Oils (HDEOs)) are all excellent products in their intended applications.

Note: Specific diesel engine only lubricants should not be used in petrol engines as they can cause excessive engine wear in certain applications
Old 04-25-2008, 01:41 AM
triple_nickel
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kevin
The Mobil gear lube that is off the shelf at most stores is not the correct factory replacement gear lube..

If it doesn't say Delvac on it, it's not apples to apples.. The Delvac product has more additives. Stop at your local truck stop or get on the interstate and stop at a large fuel station where trucks also stop.

I just bought some Delvac gear lube from here:
http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...x.php?cPath=24
Old 04-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Joyride, Hell of a tip there man! Thanks!!

Mike

Originally Posted by joyride5
Great stuff~
Old 04-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Doug: I guess my initial question is still unanswered....basically I wanted to know if what Mobil is selling for $10.99 is the exact same formula as is being sold by WalMart under the Supertech label for $4.48. I'm not trying to "cheap out" on buying the transmission gear oil....just really trying to get an answer based upon the specifications listed on the Supertech bottle....which is also listed on the Mobil bottle, but without as many different specs. The fact that the bottles look exactly the same...are made from the same grey plastic in the exact same dimensions....is this the same formula as the $10.99 Mobil???
Old 04-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Doug Hillary
Burning Brakes

Hi Chuck,
IME I suspect that they are not identical products - I cannot go further than this

Many lubricants from various Blenders and Oil Companies will meet identical specifications but will have quite different formulations (additives and base fluids) - this is especially so with gear lubricants
Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

Chuck it's also a moot point.. The Mobil gear lube at Wally mart and Kragen is the incorrect product to buy.

The correct product is Mobil Delvac Gearlube.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:23 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I guess that ends the discussion then....thanx for the info. I'll go look for the brand name Mobil Delvac Gearlube as suggested. This is no place to cheap out on a couple dollars difference.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:55 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Call your local Mobil distributor. I bought a box of 12 quarts of the Delvac for something under $75.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

It doesn't say Delvac on the gear lube bottle any more. It only reads Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube 75-90 LS.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx

The Delvac is motor oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ne_Engine.aspx

Quick Reply: Is Mobil sticking it to us?