Sponsored by:

Is my battery bad..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I just installed an Interstate MTP-93 in mine as well.

No, don't work for Interstate either....
Old 05-01-2008, 09:06 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought an (don't flame me!) InterState as well. Went with the MTP-91. A little smaller and 9 lbs lighter...

I was really set to get a P-car replacement to keep the original look. But **** poor parts service at one dealer and $180.00 tab, and a quote of $225.00 for the battery, plus - get this - $20.00 for THE ACID at another dealer made the choice easy.

Confident this will solve my issues (and leave $100.00 in my wallet for ). Thx R-listers..
Old 05-01-2008, 11:12 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Mitch,

Now you are working for Interstate I see. Good to have you on board.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Life is good here at Interstate, but not sure I've found the vent on the battery...

There is a small flat tube on top pointing toward the back. The tube won't fit this - is that it?
Old 05-02-2008, 08:49 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Yep got me an interstate with an interstate maintainer hooked up to the terminals...porsche dealer here told me not to get the porsche battery.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MitchB
Life is good here at Interstate, but not sure I've found the vent on the battery...

There is a small flat tube on top pointing toward the back. The tube won't fit this - is that it?
You should have received a kit with the battery that allows you to connect the vent tube... go back and get it (included with the cost of the battery).
Old 05-03-2008, 06:55 AM
whiteturbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery

The dealer was out of vent tubes when i bought my Interstate and i called Interstate and they sent one right out. Firts class company.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:27 AM
porschedude996TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by MitchB
KW -
Good advice all around. I have seen the 8.6 volt figure elsewhere, but was looking here to see if these cars had differing criteria.
I do have a battery tender, but didn't use because I thought I'd drive it more. But your advice is sound. Seems odd that I could leave such a wonderful car just sitting...

I will most likely be getting a battery from the dealer. Around $180 with PCA discount. More money than I'd like to spend, but with car for sale soon, want to keep it as original looking as possible. Besides, the factory battery lasted over six years in a car that wasn't driven much - would another battery do significantly better...?
Your are very welcome Mitch,
I don't always buy Interstate, but they do have good service. The last one I had I bought new for my 964C2 and had for less than the warranty period. I was past the free replacement period but only had to pay a few months pro-rated value. I think the death of this battery was due to my not driving the car enough and not using a battery tender. I still don't drive the replacement vehicle (996tt), but it is for sure on a tender.

I never let anyone test my batteries in the car. I don't even let the low level mechanics, like the one you see at Sears or Pep Boys work on my stuff. I remove the components (battery, brake disks) and let them perform what I can inspect afterwards. I have a great fear of these "Technicians" ya-right, doing harm to my vehicle. I once had a car that had a defective "Die-Hard" battery and the tech (read hack) placed both cables on the new battery and then whicle tightening the positive clamp, arc'ed the chassis. I reached over and removed the ground cable and let him continue. He then ask if I wanted him to test the charging system. I don't think he was thinking that he did damage and wanted to make sure everything, he was trying to drum up work. Well if you can't keep from arcing the chassis while installing the battery, no, you are not going to diagnose or touch the vehicle anymore...

So how are things now with the new battery?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 PM
NewYorkBuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only drove my 2004 tt every two weeks or so during the winter. Alas - it did in my battery - turned the key two days ago - windows went down - idiot lights on - no cranking. Took a charge and died again in 24 hours. Replaced w interstate 91 - fit perfect in the third hole. One other thing - the 91 has to be 10 lbs lighter than the OEM - Good Lord that thing was heavy! Car fired up faster than I can ever remember. Learned my lesson and will charge once a month now during those winter months.....

Quick Reply: Is my battery bad..?