Sponsored by:

Battery exploded

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM
catalinajerry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery exploded

I have an 04 Turbo Cab with 9000 miles. Last night when I attempted to start the car, a loud explosion occurred and smoke starting pouring out of the luggage compartment. All electrical systems are dead. Battery exploded?
As I'm not mechanical I called Porsche roadside and they are towing the car to the local dealer in Rancho Mirage, CA. I have about 15 days left on the 4 year warrenty. Is there anything I should tell the dealer in case this is an electrical problem and happens again after warrenty expires? I do have the additional
2 year warrenty from Porsche as a certified used car. Thanks for your assistance. Jerry Pennington
Old 03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not expert here, but:

1. Do you owe somone a lot of of $ w/a name like "Vinnie" or Guido"?
2. Are you sleeping w/someone else girl?
3. Did someone you know just take a huge life insurance policy out on you?

That's usually the top 3 reasons for something this "out of the ordinary".
Old 03-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

Jerry, the fortunate thing is that you are safe and didn't get hurt. Many people do suffer injuries when jumping the battery. Has your battery been replaced recently? It's odd that it exploded. That is why the vent line is critical. Hydrogen will ignite.

A battery that explodes can do alot of damage where it is situated. The A/C lines, brake and clutch systems are within reach of the battery acid.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM
catalinajerry
Intermediate

Update. The dealer hasn't opened the luggage compartment yet but thinks it is the battery. Since I only have 3000 miles since the new battery was installed by Porsche, he said the factory doesn't warrenty the battery since not enough miles were put on the car since replacement in March of 2006. Sounds
like a lame excuse, but I won't protest since it's only a $200 or so item. Thanks for the help Jerry Pennington
Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 312 Likes on 218 Posts

Jerry, all Porsche parts have a 2 year warranty on them. Batteries might be a little different.. But they should cover it. If it was my car I would be taking/making a baking soda wash to every surface that was in contact to the battery acid.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, the cost of the battery is least of concern; the damage being done by the battery acid would be my biggest worry. It's extremely corrosive - if the battery case broke and dumped acid all over it could be causing alot of damage as we speak(or type).

I'm with Kevin on this - a baking soda wash ASAP on anything exposed to liquid electrolyte.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:05 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would press the dealer for the baking soda wash and probably carpet replacement in the trunk. I can't imagine it wouldn't be ruined.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:36 PM
mmmmmm
Intermediate

What are your opinions on the damage the paint will suffer, if any?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:13 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agree with above. The battery is cheap in comparison to the damage that the acid can/will do if not taken care of. I had a battery leak out the side of the top case on me and it got a few drops of acid on the battery tray and nothing else (luckily). Not sure how long it had leaked but it was a very minor amount. The amount that did leak though ate the paint off the battery tray. I took it out and scrubbed the whole area with baking soda as a precaution then put some naval Jelly on the piece, primed it, and re-sprayed it black just like as original. Can't even tell anything happened in there.

So long story short MAKE the dealer clean that area good and replace any carpet the acid may have contacted.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

The Porsche manual has a recommended minimum mileage of (i think) 6K a year. Is your dealer suggesting that since you did below this, you're out of coverage? I thought this was just a "recommendation"!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I believe I was told that the car had to average 7,500 per year for battery warranty. Less than that they do NOT cover. Get an Interstate and a maintainer and be done with it.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 AM
catalinajerry
Intermediate

Update: The dealer refused warrenty coverage on the battery as I don't put enough miles on the car per year. They went over the trunk area with a form of baking soda and it cleaned up very good. My car cover was in the suitcase area and protected the carpet. Saw the battery and two fill holes were
split and the side of the battery was open. The tech asked about my battery maintainer and if it was the old style or the new digital kind. Mine is old style. He suggested a new maintainer and perhaps put
a clock (like lawn sprinkler system) to run one hour per day. Mine may have malfunctioned. The only damage I could see was a few bubbles of the paint on the underside of the hood near the windshield.
Tech also installed a new interior cabin filter as it is near the explosion. Had oil and filter changed while in the shop. Total bill was $768.00 including labor at $135 per hour. They also gave me the good news that I have a nail on the center of rear tire. As you all know, Porsche recommends replacement of the tire. Tires are about $500-$600 each. Expensive day. Thinking about having it patched. High end shop in Palm Desert will patch for $15. Thanks for all the members advice. Jerry Pennington
Old 03-14-2008, 03:28 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry.....$600 for a tire? What in the world are you running? Did your dealer sell them to you along with that battery? You should go onto the Tire Rack's website and take a quick look at prices.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:02 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If the tire has good tread left and you arent doing high speed runs or tracking it put a combo patch/plug in the tire.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:30 PM
k4site
Instructor

When they installed the battery one of the connection where loose a small spark and it blows the battery.

Quick Reply: Battery exploded