Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Default The new 997GT2 compressor wheel

The car will be here shortly. And as many have already read the early press reports, one thing that I enjoyed to read is that the new turbochargers are going to be run up to 1.4bars.. Couple that with the new intake manifold and you have yourself one heck of a engine package.

While many tuners have made there bed with Garrett hybrids, and for the last year or so the introduction of Mitsubishi compressor wheels ground into compressor housings, I have always waited for KKK's offerings. The latest designs are very efficient and can tremendous amounts of air into our engines with less heat generated. This new wheel sports the latest trend in high performance wheels with extended tip majors to reduce the overall mass, and swept clipped blade designs on the inducers. If you were to measure the blade tips of this new wheel vs a 18G it would be 2mm larger. And more importantly almost 30 grams lighter than the "G"..

Pictured below is a picture of the new compressor wheel. I'll post pictures of it installed in a few turbochargers later.

The next picture shows the forward movement of technology. Pictured side by side the old 996GT2 compressor wheel sitting against the new GT2 compressor wheel. While one can see the size difference which stands out right away, look at the different design elements built into the new wheel.

I'll be posting shortly Ultimate Motorwerks new Stage 2 "B" Tuning kit which incorperates these new KKK compressor wheels, However, there is a twist. I have the bigger brother to this compressor wheel that I will be releasing in this kit. I have already incorperated it in my Stage 3 tuning package. As a option I will also be building a K24 hybrid for those folks that have or want K24's. Ultimate Motorwerks new K24 HyFlow turbine wheel which debut a few months back, will also be incorperated into this hybrid.

Last but not least, fuel injectors and my MAF solution will be added for this mid level tuning kit. This kit will allow folks to upgrade there engine package as monies and time permit. The idea is that in the end one will have a Stage 3 "A" or "B" tuning package.

Last edited by Kevin; 03-13-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:02 AM
markski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great Kevin...
I did a read up on the new GT2 and they decided, as you mentioned, to change the design on the intake plenums making the runners longer then on the 996tt. since I have been in my motor for the last half a year, that is the thing that bugged me- especially after I saw the RSR plenum that Todd showed me. Looking now at it, it seems very much like the new gt2 version... just beefed up.
Are you doing any upgrades on this part of the system?
markski
Old 03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Mark...

I'm in line trying to get one of those intake plenums.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Hi Kevin. What advantages would you gain running these modified K24's on my 993GT2evo that uses the standard type K24's at 1 bar boost. Excuse my ignorance,
regards,
Graeme
Old 03-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Superfly
Advanced

Subscribed :-) with stock K24's.

Look forward to your further posts Kevin
Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Graeme,

There are two things that would give you immediate benifits.

1) I don't remember is you have the GT2 intercooler that was manufactured by Secan, but if you have the stock IC you will see less intake air temperature due the high efficiency of this compressor wheel vs the stock wheel, which BTW looks exactly to the one shown in the picture. This wheel also does generate more airflow in lbs/min vs your compressor wheel. This impact really falls on what programming you are running.

2) If you couple this new wheel with my HyFlow K24 turbine wheel, you will be able to build boost sooner. Off boost, on boost will be quicker..

Graeme please email me, I have a few questions about your latest pictures that you had taken.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

I think that these look a great development for our cars.
Well done Kevin.

Steve
Old 03-14-2008, 04:43 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

This is great to hear. With this and VGT, Borg Warner KKK has made a huge leap in their turbocharger technology, especially when you consider the last improvement was over 10 years ago (993 K24)! What is the nomenclature of the new wheel?
BTW, it does look a lot more like the 18G now:
Old 03-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

With the wheels side by side there is no comparison. I mentioned the 3 differences in my first post. Look at the root/base structure of the the 18G it's massive. The root of the wheel is larger than the blade width at the inducer 18.71mm vs 16.18mm (18G) The blade tips are narrow/ratio compared to the overall mass/base structure of the wheel. The 18G wheel is closer to a GT series Garrett wheel than the new KKK wheel.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Tony@epl
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevin
With the wheels side by side there is no comparison. I mentioned the 3 differences in my first post. Look at the root/base structure of the the 18G it's massive. The root of the wheel is larger than the blade width at the inducer 18.71mm vs 16.18mm (18G) The blade tips are narrow/ratio compared to the overall mass/base structure of the wheel. The 18G wheel is closer to a GT series Garrett wheel than the new KKK wheel.

This is a great wheel!! We've been using the 997 wheels in the audi market for a few months now with fantastic results.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Pardon my turbo ignorance but would wheels with such a design be of benefit to a K27 variant?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

There is a difference between the standard 997TT wheel and the brand new GT2 wheel.

Tony out of respect to my company and my product line, I wish that you stay on your own threads..
Old 03-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Tony@epl
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kevin
There is a difference between the standard 997TT wheel and the brand new GT2 wheel.

Tony out of respect to my company and my product line, I wish that you stay on your own threads..
Sure Kevin, I can respect that. However, I was complementing you and your choose of hardware. Its very new technology and Im aware there is a difference between the 2 wheels.

I've also PM'ed you privately.

Thanks!
Tony
Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Tony, Thank you, however, personally I question the underlying motive..
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ryan, the compressor wheel technology would benifit the K27 platform. However, you do have a very efficient design with your own HyFLow turbocharger.

Quick Reply: The new 997GT2 compressor wheel