Sponsored by:

Imagine Auto Stage IV

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 PM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken,

I agree with Alexander. My first Porsche was an '03 C4 Cab. Nice car, sporty.
But, not enough juice off the line... for me anyway. So, I upgraded to an '03 TT. This car is amazing! It just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling. So help me God, I will never go back!! Enough said.

Linda
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Well, I just dropped $375 on a PPI and the 04 996TT Cab is in the shop. I should hear something back from the service tech this afternoon or tomorrow morning.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
Kab
Instructor

You will love it. We all get the bug to modify them shortly after you get them and the mods make the cars even more fun to drive but can be expensive. You are smart to get one already modded by a reputable company! You'll have trouble keeping that smile off your face.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Good job, Ken! Keep us posted please.
Linda
'03 996TT
Old 03-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Got a call from the Porsche dealership re the ppi. Good news. All paint is original, no signs of accidents, transmission, and other mechanicals are sound. The type 1 revs came out at 17,000, which the dealership said is probably a little below what they expected to see. The Type 2 revs were 269. He said generally we would like to see this number lower, but being at 269 and not higher, we have no real cause for concern as the tranny and engine seem to be in great shape. I asked if he would buy the car, and he said, "Most definately!" So I am moving forward with the purchase.

I believe $82.5K is a pretty good price for this cab based on several months of research:

2004 Cab Turbo in Seal Gray w/black interior and top
6 speed manual
6,200 miles
Nav and enough aluminum and carbon fiber to get original MSRP to $140k
HRE polished wheels
IA Stage IV w/short shifter

I will likely pick it up early next week! Thanks for all you input!

Ken
Old 03-11-2008, 05:31 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

good choice...you will not regret it. post pics once you get your new toy.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken C
The Type 2 revs were 269.
Ken
Am I not mistaken that this is VERY high
Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Well I don't know a lot about the type 1 and 2 logging, but the service guy at the Porsche dealership told me the following:

- Type 2 over revs result from a downshift that raises rpm above a certain level
- 269 means the ignition sparked 269 times. Given that the ignition can spark 10 to 1,000 times a second, it is hard to say how many times this happened.
- Ideally I wouldn't want any type 2s, but because everything else checks out okay, I 'likely' won't have any problems.
- He has seen cars with thousands of type 2 over revs that have run for thousands of miles without a hiccup. Other times, just one over rev puts the car in the shop. Really depends on how badly the driver slammed the car.
- With the 996, he can't tell how high the over rev was, only that it happened.

As the dealer that did the ppi is not the seller of the car, I can't see any reason why he would be motivated to overstate the condition of the car. I asked him given the fact the car has 269 type 2 over revs if resale value would later be impacted, and he said definately not. He said I might run across a prospective buyer that is very **** and won't buy because of it, but that would be the only reason.

I'm new to this, so I can only relay what I am told.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Hi Ken,

That's great news. Way to go! I don't know about the revs being an issue.
The mechanic would know best. But, as far as the price goes, it sounds like a good deal. The low miles and cab alone are enough reason for it to be offered at a premium. Plus, the aftermarket mods have already been done for you. So, you're good to go!! Send us pics when you have a chance. Wishing you miles of smiles!!!

Linda
'03 996TT
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This same discussion just occurred over on RennTech...and Loren posted the rev stages......and essentially, Type 1 over revs are a no harm no foul....simply means you bumped the rev limiter on the way up. That's what it's there for...to keep you from over reving....so those numbers don't really mean much except that the guy driving didn't watch the tach. Also...as explained fto me, each revolution is really a series of iginitions...namely six to each revolution since there are six cylinders...so you divide the number by 6 to get the actualy number of times the engine turned over during an over rev event. Considering the speed that the engine is turning over during the event, it doesn't take but a second or two to chalk up some pretty high numbers. The Stage two over revs are a bit more serious and can be a cause for concern...but that number isn't really that high and isn't something that should be a cause for major concern as long as the PPI comes back clean. IIRC, my TT had some of those too, and I've had no problems in 10K miles....but I have to confess that I bumpt the rev limiter periodically when hitting a freeway onramp and watching traffic rather than the tach. No bid deal really.

The older 9696TT's only displayed Stage 1 and Stage 2 over revs. That system of recording over revs changed at some point....but I know that the newer cars come with a more sophisticated DME that tells the Porsche folks a lot more and actually logs SIX different over rev stages.....and Stage 4 thru Stage are big no-no's.

There was also a big debate about whether a Stage 2 over rev could be caused by something other than a missed downshift or a spinout with the car going backwards (major OUCH). I initially said no way, but WROSS proved otherwise....so I stand corrected. Your car sounds great...best of luck.

I just went back and found all the info on over revs here on Rennlist in the 996 forum under the heading of "what is an over rev". That's where Loren posted all the Stage RPM limits.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 03-12-2008 at 03:57 AM. Reason: added info
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken C

- Type 2 over revs result from a downshift that raises rpm above a certain level
- 269 means the ignition sparked 269 times. Given that the ignition can spark 10 to 1,000 times a second, it is hard to say how many times this happened.
OK....I thought it meant 269 seperate instances of an over rev....I stand corrected.....
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The term "missed downshift" might not be quite accurate. I think the most common event is downshifting to a gear which raises the rpm above redline when the clutch pedal is released. The shift isn't 'Missed", but is improperly performed, as the selected gear is the one in use, but it is too low.
(I have seen some gearboxes where an upshift ftom 2nd to 3rd can engage first. That will do the same thing, but I don't think that is what is happening to our Porsches. It can be seen with a Jericho box)
That suggests why a tip is a safer bet as a used car purchase. I don't believe the tip allows either type of over rev. AS
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Ken C
Advanced

The service guy I dealt with for the ppi said that the types of over revs tracked went from 2 to 6 with the intro of the 997, confirms what you noted, Chuck.

Alexander, your comments on the tip make sense. I have a Crossfire SRT-6 coupe with tip. It works very well and that MB tranny is silky smooth, but I have missed the full manual. So given the higher chance of abuse with the six speed manual, I have just had to do a bit more due diligence.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Adam Bowles
Track Day

There was a healthy debate on 6speedonline about the type 1 / type 2 over revs. It was proven that a type 2 can be recorded without "missing" a shift. For example, if you are accelerating in 1st gear and hit the redline, the momentum of the car will pull the engine above redline, even though the fuel was cut off. This would cause a type 2 over rev since the rpm's went above 6,600. Unfortunately, even 6,601 rpm's is recorded as a type 2.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Sent the deposit off this morning and am flying to Chicago Tuesday morning to drive the 04 TT Cab back to Michigan!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Imagine Auto Stage IV