Imagine Auto Stage IV

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imagine Auto Stage IV

Hi All,

New to the forum. I'm about to join your ranks by purchasing my first 996 turbo, but I am looking for a little a feedback. I've been looking for a 2004 996 Turbo since last fall and am now to the point I can move. I've found the car with the color and options I want and less than 8000 miles. However the previous owner had installed Imagine Auto's 600hp kit. I really wasn't looking for this mod, but the car is what I want otherwise. The seller has also said he will drop the price in line with best prices I've seen for other non-mod'd cars with similar factory options.

I couldn't find any negative feedback on the Imagine Auto mod, and Stephen Kaspar responded to an email I sent him and told me the mod is very transparent and actually improves the driveability compared to stock.

I'd love to get as much feedback as I can. I had debated a long time about going with a 997 S or a late model 996 Turbo and decided on the 996 Turbo. I like the interior of the 997 better, but I'd prefer a bit higher performance. The 600hp will likely give me all I bargained for and then some.

Many thanks,

Ken
Michigan
Old 03-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Addicted
Advanced

Do it. I have never heard anything but good about Stephen or IA. I wouldn't hesitate if everything else checks out. If the car didn't come with that mod then you would be looking to do it after about two weeks. Have fun with it.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:55 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

When I upgraded my X50 with Stephen, that is what I wound up with. The drivability is excellent, and the power is too. My exhaust is the Fabspeed Gen 3, which is also worthwhile, and is reasonably subdued.
Stephen also pointed me to a GT3 rear sway bar, lower springs, and provided the allignment specs. That makes a huge difference, and I would urge you to consider that, if the car doesn't already have suspension mods.
My car just passed emissions testiong, so that went well too. Also, the gas mileage is better than stock. (If you can stay out of the throttle).
PM me if you have any questions. Good luck. My car has 47,000 miles, and hasn't missed a beat. AS
Old 03-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Thanks for the input gents. The car has had the Stage IV kit, a GT2 Clutch, and the short shifter. The dealership selling it said the car did not have any suspension mods. It is all stock otherwise: Cabriolet in Seal Gray Metallic, full leather in black with aluminum and carbon accents, HRE wheels, 6000 miles.

It really is like new. As I hadn't been looking for the mod, I didn't know anything about it until the other day. I didn't want to wind up with the car I have been dying for only to have it be impossible to maintain and a pain to drive around town because of some high performance track mod that I got into without knowing anything about it. As I can get the car for the same price as one without the mod, the mods would really cost me nothing. So it is not a cost issue, just a driveability issue. And from what I have been reading about this mod, I should definately get it if everything else checks out.

Anxious to join the club!!

Ken
Old 03-09-2008, 12:18 AM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Welcome, Ken! I've heard Imagine is good. A few months after I bought my
'03 996TT, I had EVOMS do an ecu reflash. I then got a Fabspeed Maxflo exhaust and PSS9s. The acceleration is astounding now! You won't be disappointed w/the extra hp.

Btw, after my Phase I mods, I was sure that would be all I needed to keep me happy. I'm beginning Phase IV mods at the end of this month. lol

Have fun. Be safe. Also, please consider becoming a Rennlist member and a PCA member. Good advice, great people!

Best,
Linda
Attached Images  
Old 03-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Ken C
Advanced

Thanks Linda. Nice car! Good luck with your Phase IV mods. If I get this car, we can compare notes.

Trying to get a PPI lined up for tomorrow. If that checks out well, I'll see if I can get a deal closed this week. I am very pleased with what I have read about IA's Stage IV. I'm no longer worried about the mod and am actually quite pleased it is already on the car.

Wish me luck! I'll let you know what happens. I've been on the lookout since winter hit, and this is the closest I've come to pulling the trigger.

Ken
Old 03-09-2008, 08:50 PM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Good luck, Ken! I'm so happy for you!!
Linda
Old 03-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on joining the gang....you saved yourself a bunch by buying a car that already has the IA mods in it.... If you feel the need to go back to stock, let me know...
Old 03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Ken C
Advanced

So does anyone know what actual impact the stage IV mods have on performance other than dyno and HP? I spent an hour or two looking this evening and couldn't really find anything. I presume the biggest difference is felt with some speed and in higher gears, but does the Cab 0-60 drop in the 3.x range?

Ken

Last edited by Ken C; 03-09-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
darmawaa
Advanced

I've IA stage 3 997TT. The difference is night and day compared to stock.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 PM
linda.erwin
Rennlist Member

Hey Ken,

I had EVOMS reflash my ecu and then I got a Fabspeed free flow exhaust. These changes alone resulted in 0-60 times of 4.0 ... with a Tip! I wrote to the PCA experts sometime ago to ask what I needed to do to get my times down to
3.5. They recommended the following options: (1) upgrade to K24/18 turbos or (2) put the car on a diet since lighter = faster... I've gutted my interior!
and (3) practice my launch technique.

Linda
'03 996TT
Old 03-10-2008, 01:50 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

I did their Stage 4 kit for a client's car less than a year ago (a tiptronic 996TT)........damn the thing is scary fast !!!! In first and second gears you need to have both hands on the steering wheel and watch the road. You pick a point 500M ahead of you and push the gas.......by the time you start breathing again, you are there.

Totally driveable on a daily grocery getter basis and non-intrusive.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:02 AM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

sounds like a great package all around....good luck.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Ken C
Advanced

So...talking to a buddy late last night, and he dredges up the 996 TT or 997 S discussion again and says I should be spending my money on the newer technology, price is about the same. Frankly, I have never felt I needed to be on the bleeding edge of technology for cars and have generally been content to be a generation behind and saving a few dollars. I don't know which will depreciate quicker at this point, but given the price I would be paying for the 996 TT, I can't believe that in three or four years if I wanted to get into a more recent model that the 2004 996 TT would be worth less than the 2006 997 S.

I still believe the 996 TT is the car for me now and am moving forward with the PPI, but shoot me a little reassurance if you will !!

Ken
Old 03-10-2008, 01:13 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Ken,
This is something every 996tt owner has debated, and the overwhelming majority wind up with the turbocharged car.
First, a normally aspirated 997 and a 996tt are not comparable. The extra horsepower makes the heavier car seem lighter. You dieinitely feel the power all the time. The rwd cars do turn in a little better at track speeds, but the tt cars come out much harder.
Second, the thechology upgrade of the 997 series is really quite small. Furhter, the na 997 motor is much inferior in terms of robustness of construction compared to the tt motor.
Finally, most of the depreciation is already out of the 996tt, but the 997 is due to fall off a cliff in the near future.
The major issue is warranty coverage. That's why you are careful with the evaluation. Good 996tt's require very little in the way of upkeep costs.
Good luck. AS

Quick Reply: Imagine Auto Stage IV