Sponsored by:

Moton Club Sports vs. Billstein PSS10's

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 PM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moton Club Sports vs. Billstein PSS10's

I love my 996 Turbo, but it's a real pig in the corners. I plan to track my car, and otherwise drive it aggressively. I'm not a rookie when it comes to driving 911's hard either. Am I going to notice a huge difference with the Moton's with reservoir over the PSS10's. Also, since the car is going to be seeing a lot of street time will the Moton's need constant refreshing/rebuilding? I plan on having Fordahl do the install soon.

Thanks,

John
Old 02-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by detailjohn
I love my 996 Turbo, but it's a real pig in the corners. I plan to track my car, and otherwise drive it aggressively. I'm not a rookie when it comes to driving 911's hard either. Am I going to notice a huge difference with the Moton's with reservoir over the PSS10's. Also, since the car is going to be seeing a lot of street time will the Moton's need constant refreshing/rebuilding? I plan on having Fordahl do the install soon.

Thanks,

John
Yes, extremely big. I had both (well i had the 9's) and the Motons are light years ahead. With that however, they leak like a b****. I had them on for less than a year with no track time, about 5k, and one of the dampers started to leak.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:11 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

you might want to chat with Colin Cantrell - Cantrell Motorsports. Good guy, good wrench, and I have never worried about being oversold - he's usually trying to convince me of why I do not need something.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

here's a link

http://www.cantrellmotorsport.com/
Old 02-09-2008, 05:38 AM
killerbee
Advanced

Since you haven't had it to the track yet why not take it there and get a better feeling for what is really lacking in the package at the moment. With few exceptions its the unit between the seat and the steering wheel that needs the work not the stock suspension.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Addicted
Advanced

John,

I've been looking at a suspension upgrade as well. It sounds like our driving will be about the same, i.e. lots of street and half a dozen track days a year. Seems from what I have been reading that the Motons would be hands down better, but overkill for that little track days, for the money. I'm not sold on the PSS10s yet either. There are some customer service stories out there, along with people saying they are too soft. I've been debating between them and the JIC's. Although, you hear that JIC's are too firm for street use, and also that customer service lacks there as well. It seems to be like most things. Everyone has an opinion, and some have bad experiences. I like the ease of adjustment of the PSS10, but it seems that if you are going to do any real tracking then the JIC are a better compromise heading up toward the Motons.
I wish someone could just convince me to just make a decision one way or the other. If the JIC's are really better then I don't mind spending the extra for them. However, if there is no appreciable difference then I'm just as good not spending the extra and going with the PSS10.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Turbo Stan
Advanced

I put on a set of PSS9's onto my car. The car was also lowered and camber increased at the same time. The difference was incredible. The handling is amazing on the track. I easily keep up with other turbos using the Motons. But the biggest surprise to me was that the city ride improved over the stock setup. The ride is actually smoother over rough roads. So better handling and a smoother ride. Two thumbs up.

What are the differences between the 9's and the 10's?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Addicted
Advanced

One click from my understanding, and I think they are numbered to see better what setting they are at. Something like that.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:56 AM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John,

I'm having Colin put on the PSS9's on my car next week. Since the PSS10's came out, the prices for the 9's have really gone down- I got a set for 2200 bucks at ImangineAuto. I also would suggest you call Colin for advice.

With the Bilsteins, you can only lower the car a certain amount, otherwise you will be on the bump stops. Colin suggested 15-20 mm.

Last edited by seattle_sun; 02-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Addicted
Advanced

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s....H0&perfCode=S

Tirerack has PSS10s for $2371.00, plus I think if you go in through sponsor link at the 6 you get 10% off that (verify) bringing it down to under $2,200.00. I've heard of even cheaper deals, but I don't know those companies. Some value in going through someone like IA.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I called tirerack- no sponsor discount.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:50 PM
dustinr
Instructor

Wait a little while; Bilstein is coming out with these; 50% stiffer when in normal mode and probably stiffer than that when in sport mode...
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/02/s...ff-selections/
Old 02-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

I have just switched to the Moton's from the TechArt coil overs that I had on my car for about three years. First impressions are all I can give of the Moton's. And my first impression is quite good, the car is much more "planted" and the ride feedback is much improved. I have also had the full suspension alignment towards the Autocross setting and this makes quite a difference as well.

For what it's worth my opinion would be; start with the PSSX and get an aggressive alignment and corner balance etc. Then try this for some track work with training for the first year. If you really want to take it to the next stage then go the Motons or the JRZ.

I drove the TechArts (actually Billstien shocks and Eibach springs tuned for TechArt) for a couple of years and was quite happy.......only got some extra bucks and stepped up to Moton after that.

P.S. get adjustable sways early as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these cars need suspension upgrade from stock for sure.
However the cost of moton vs say Bilstein or JIC I dont think is worth it for the the "average" DE driver or occasional track driver.
I went through the same process and ended up with JIC CROSS and a GT3 rear sway. More than enough for this car.
If you are competing in racing or time trial and an extra second may be needed then motons are the way to go and are a far superior set up. But for us non pro drivers may be over kill for the money.

Just my 2 cents and that's what it is worth!!

I like Gary's and Stans advice above as well
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Addicted
Advanced

Wait a little while; Bilstein is coming out with these; 50% stiffer when in normal mode and probably stiffer than that when in sport mode...
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/02/s...ff-selections/

That looks interesting... would love to see more on this.

Quick Reply: Moton Club Sports vs. Billstein PSS10's