Sponsored by:

battery dead in 1 week?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

On many occasions I have gone weeks between starts, and the OEM battery never had a problem starting the car.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts
Lightbulb

Given replacement batteries are readily available for under $100, the high cost of replacing an alternator burned out from constantly charging a defective battery, and the hassle and loss of use of the car associated with a dead battery - I suggest everyone just replace their battery every 3 years or the first sign of it not cranking the motor over properly!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

10 days is not normal for healthy battery.

Check to see if the engine compartment light goes out this is a common problem draining the battery quickly.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markski
Tell that to my head foreman senior Tech of Loeber Motors here in Chicago...
It will drain the battery faster without the Alarm on then with the alarm. I even confirmed that with another tech.
Where did you get your info from?
I read it for myself from my volt/amp meter. There is hardly any difference - maybe a few ma. Certainly not enough to make a difference (IMHO).
My point is still that there is a drain in his car or the battery would not go dead in one week.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not proven this yet but I believe the interior light on my car occasionally doesn't dim and shut down after the time delay (I went back in the garage one night and found it on).
I've toyed with various scenarios (closing the door with the car running in cool down, turn ignition off through open window ect) no dice to reproduce.

I just sidestepped the possibility by keeping the courtesy light in the off position.

(I visualize a whole bunch of p-car owners going to their cars to check)
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 AM
markski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
I read it for myself from my volt/amp meter. There is hardly any difference - maybe a few ma. Certainly not enough to make a difference (IMHO).
My point is still that there is a drain in his car or the battery would not go dead in one week.
Understood.... I just stated the fact that was told to me by a 53 year old senior tech at my a P car dealership. I agree there may be some other reason for the drain...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:04 AM
petertobin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the battery tested,
a freind of mine bought a new battery when he purchased a second hand 993. Still had lots of probs, spent lots trying to find problem - battery tested (faulty cell), got a replacement under warranty, problems still and found the replacement was also faulty - a bad batch came into NZ (hense 2 faulty in a row), so it does happen. symptoms were if car left for more than 2 or 3 days would not start - no other faults

Quick Reply: battery dead in 1 week?