Sponsored by:

DIY oil change help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Savage
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY oil change help.

Could someone point me to a good guide on the tt oil change? I've been searching for over with no luck. Still getting used to the forum.
thanks
Tim
Old 01-13-2008, 04:45 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Here maybe:

oil change
Old 01-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Pretty simple one really... You need to have the copper drail washer for the crankcase and the aluminum washer for the sump tank drain plugs. You need an oil filter socket, a filter, and 9 quarts of oil for the car. Get the car up in the air, pop the rear lid, and open the oil filler cap. 15mm wrench loosens the crank case drain plug. Once it's empty, drain the oil tank by loosening the drain plug while "applying" tightening pressure on the boss (17mm wrench on the drain pug and 19 or 21mm on the boss.). Once the "drain" of the internals is complete, clean up all the oil spilled when that 7 quarts dumped from the sump tank....

Then lower the car, crack open the filter cap with your filter wrench, and extract the filter. Take a lint free papertowel or a syring (I don't know why, but I do have one from my mountainbike disk brake bleed kit I use) and extract all the dirty oil from the filter housing. Put the new filter in and install the rubber ring around the housing. Once that is complete, fill the crankcase with fresh 0W40 and make sure you fill it with 8.5 quarts.

Check for leaks and you're done.

Mike
Old 01-13-2008, 05:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Pretty simple one really... You need to have the copper drail washer for the crankcase and the aluminum washer for the sump tank drain plugs. You need an oil filter socket, a filter, and 9 quarts of oil for the car. Get the car up in the air, pop the rear lid, and open the oil filler cap. 15mm wrench loosens the crank case drain plug. Once it's empty, drain the oil tank by loosening the drain plug while "applying" tightening pressure on the boss (17mm wrench on the drain pug and 19 or 21mm on the boss.). Once the "drain" of the internals is complete, clean up all the oil spilled when that 7 quarts dumped from the sump tank....

Then lower the car, crack open the filter cap with your filter wrench, and extract the filter. Take a lint free papertowel or a syring (I don't know why, but I do have one from my mountainbike disk brake bleed kit I use) and extract all the dirty oil from the filter housing. Put the new filter in and install the rubber ring around the housing. Once that is complete, fill the crankcase with fresh 0W40 and make sure you fill it with 8.5 quarts.

Check for leaks and you're done.

Mike

Don't forget the 2 turbo drain plugs. Washer size of those is 18x22
Old 01-13-2008, 05:48 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also be ready for the gusher of hot oil that comes out of the oil tank when the drain plug is out. It really comes out fast.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

And the Doc is correct you are supposed to draing the turbos also. However, after having done the complete oil change once here is my opinion....

The oil "system" holds something like 12 quarts of oil. The best you can ever hope to get out is around 9 quarts. So even if you do everything exactly as planned 3 quarts (about) will still be in there. For the cup of oil that comes out of the turbo housings it's not worth the time to me. I did them but won't waste the time doing it again on the next oil change.

I know that some people are going to say it's blasphemy to not do it. I change my oil every 5000 miles or less. That extra cup ain't gonna make a difference.

My $1.03

Oh yeah forgot to mention that Mr. Schred is right on. Be sure you are ready for the 200MPH projectile vommit that comes from the oil tank. I wasn't and spent longer cleaning up then actually changing the oil.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

99% of the dealers don't both with the oil in the turbos either.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:20 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Here maybe:

oil change
The Turbo is different that the procedure shown on your link. The filter is above the engine.

That looks like the 996 and the Boxter\Cayman

Try this one.
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7075
Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by slant911
For the cup of oil that comes out of the turbo housings it's not worth the time to me.
I don't think it takes long at all to drain the oil from the turbos. And although I can't easily drain all the oil in the system, the closer I get to 100% the better. Not only that, working on my Turbo is fun...I enjoy changing the oil (although I don't change it every 5000 miles. I consider that way too often), so turning some additional wrenches to drain the oil in the turbos is entertainment, and not a chore.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:15 PM
CaptPegLeg
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Loren, how about you? Do you change the oil in the turbos?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

I did it once myself, draining the oil in the turbos and found such a small amount that it just wasn't worth it.

That said, I change my oil every other track event, and have only put 7K miles on the car in the last year, with about 5 oil changes in that period of time...

Mike
Old 01-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Savage
Intermediate

thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg
Loren, how about you? Do you change the oil in the turbos?
Only when asked to.
If the car had gone well over the prescribed oil change interval - I probably would drain the turbos. Or, if the car saw a lot of track time and I thought there was oil breakdown. But for everyday driving where most folks change oil well ahead of the factory recommendation - I don't see a need to.

Quick Reply: DIY oil change help.