Purchase of BuddyG's Turbo on 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:03 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Buddy,
When you look at this post in a year or two, you will recognize how lopsided your perspective is. First, you do need to reconcile your 6 speed post that says maybe you will fix only the broken gear if that is $2000 vs $10,000 for the rebuild. It did not say, "I will do whatever is necessry to satisfy the next owner of the car".

What the heck are you talking about? The 3rd gear is gone because I have 750hp + and it sheared the teeth off. I never do launches from 1st, it has been to the drag strip one time so what the hell do you know about how I drive my car? This is not a second gear sync problem Porsche replaced my entire transmission early on when the pop outs began. Oh I guess that wasn't mentioned in my for sale ad either?

Third, think about what it says about an owner who drives the car with a busted third gear. I think most owners would just put the car on a trailer to the nearest repair facility.
People are defined by their actions much more than their words, and your actions do give cause for concern. Interestingly, your question of "who gives a rat's ***" is cogent, as it appears you specifically don't. Do you really think a buyer will cherish your personal guarantee on the box when the trans fails miles from nowhere? Let's see, his thought process would be "I'm really looking forward to towing my car in, getting a new trans, and then sending the bill to Buddy, whom I'm sure will just write a check, even though he was too cheap to do the job right the first time?"

CHEAP? You really don't know me so shut the heck up! If there is one thing I am not it is cheap. I didn't fix the gear yet because I was not sure what I was going to do. If I sell the car then I can replace the transmission with a stock 996 tt tranny. If I keep the car I am doing the entire motorsports gears. I have not decided yet and no one has made a serious offer so I am sitting on the fence. If I chose in the meantime to drive the car that is my choice!

Get real. You kind of screwed this up, and now you won't man up. I think the kind of response you really want is "nice rims!" Sorry. AS
Yeah please tell me how special I am and how nice my rims are, maybe you should man up and realize how dumb you are to call out someone you don't know in the least. Let's have lunch and really meet each other and then see what you have to say? I will even buy your lunch even though I am just a cheap ***!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AS has always been the voice of reason.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:17 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Yeah please tell me how special I am and how nice my rims are, maybe you should man up and realize how dumb you are to call out someone you don't know in the least. Let's have lunch and really meet each other and then see what you have to say? I will even buy your lunch even though I am just a cheap ***!
Buddy, I'll gladly have lunch with you. While we're trying to get this scheduled, let me clarify for you that I didn't say I thought you were "cheap". I did say your posts and actions could certainly raise that concern in a buyer of your car.

I also disn't say you do hard launches in first gear. I said that 750 hp through a stock box is a form of mechanical abuse. Alternatively, maybe there was a different insult to the box. Either could fall into the catagory of "abuse" in the eyes of a buyer. All of us who race know that when you beef up one thing on a car, the next weakest link fails. In this case, perhaps power exceeded driveline capacity. That might be okay, if you don't use the power often. Otherwise, you are abusing your driveline.

Finally, I think that if you know the car needs a new gearbox, that should be specified in the ad, along with either the price concession, or the offer to rebuild to the spec of the buyer. Most typically, a seller would say "price reduced due to broken third gear". I really haven't seen that here. Your asking price doesn't factor in the uncertain nature of the aquisition. I think that a buyer who doesn't know you could come to all sorts of conclusions about the person selling such damaged merchandise. If that same person read your posts about just fixing the broken gear, that would raise even more questions. But, I guess those were the same questions I was posing.

I wish you luck with your new Lambo, I hope your wife doesn't give you too much grief, and I wish you a happy and healthy new year. AS
Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm really surprised at some of the things being said about Buddy. I've met him and he's a stand up guy. I have Z*E*R*O doubt he's not trying to pull a fast one an anyone.

If you guys only knew him you'd realize the same thing. Shame on you.

Last edited by brad@tirerack.com; 12-31-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: forgot a very important word - not.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:49 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have Z*E*R*O doubt he's trying to pull a fast one an anyone.
You might want to rephrase this...I Know what you are saying but it came out backward.

BTW - I have never met Buddy, but seems like a stand up guy. The fixing of the trans appears to be an oversite in his ad. He fully expected to make good on the trans but did not say that. Just a slip on his part. This community is too small for someone not to notice after all his posts about it.

Similar thing happened to me some years ago. I thought it went without saying that I would make good on a broken part so I didn't say anything about it. Well I got torn a new butt hole on some stupid internet forum because I failed to mention what I thought was completely obvious.

So give the guy a break
Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slant911
You might want to rephrase this...I Know what you are saying but it came out backward.
Thanks for the head's up...

Anyone who makes regular posts to an internet forumn is guilty of something coming out wrong once in awhile. Heck, I have had people call me at work JUST to yell at me for things I have posted before. Or, (or unfortunately in his case) making the improper assumption that people would just know due to his post count that he'd stand behind his tranny. The first time I read the thread I remember thinking to myself that he had made the mention before about third being out. BUT, since I have the pleasure of knowing him personally I immediately dismissed it because I knew he'd stand behind it and work it out with a potential buyer. C'Mon guys, it isn't like you can hide a blown gear from someone - think about it. Maybe he should have disclosed it in the first post, so what. But to skewer him like you guys have because you *think* that he's trying to pull one over on someone is wrong. He made it perfectly clear he was still deciding about either changing the stock third, or regearing the entire box. It's not a crime to be on the fence about which way to go......

It's my perception that he only guilty of two things:

Miswording a for sale ad, and thinking he had more friends on these two forumns than he really does.

Last edited by brad@tirerack.com; 12-31-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Buddy,
When you look at this post in a year or two, you will recognize how lopsided your perspective is. First, you do need to reconcile your 6 speed post that says maybe you will fix only the broken gear if that is $2000 vs $10,000 for the rebuild. It did not say, "I will do whatever is necessry to satisfy the next owner of the car".
Second, you do need to consider how few posts there are on either board that start with "blew up my trans". The second gear synchro problem is well known, but not too many people have destroyed a gear. Now how do you think that happened? Either too much power for the box, or rough use seem the most likely explanations. I think either would fall under the general catagory of "abuse"
Third, think about what it says about an owner who drives the car with a busted third gear. I think most owners would just put the car on a trailer to the nearest repair facility.
People are defined by their actions much more than their words, and your actions do give cause for concern. Interestingly, your question of "who gives a rat's ***" is cogent, as it appears you specifically don't. Do you really think a buyer will cherish your personal guarantee on the box when the trans fails miles from nowhere? Let's see, his thought process would be "I'm really looking forward to towing my car in, getting a new trans, and then sending the bill to Buddy, whom I'm sure will just write a check, even though he was too cheap to do the job right the first time?" Get real. You kind of screwed this up, and now you won't man up. I think the kind of response you really want is "nice rims!" Sorry. AS
Know both of you guys via cyberspace. Both icons in your own rights. Both are correct in what they say soooooo, having said what has been said above would like to end this one so none of my favorites from either site have to continue, I think all has been typed that is needed.

Happy New Year to all!!!

tom
Old 12-30-2007, 02:47 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If I was Buddy, I'd return the car to stock and just trade it in, sell the parts later to recoupe some of the cash. It's a great car, but one with a widely publicized internet story, that makes it a hard sell. With a car that modded, you're wooing a very small fraction of the car buying audiance. Guys in this group tend to shy away from a car with any hint of 'a story'. I'm sure Buddie's a great guy and the car is nice, but it's gonna be a hard sell in it's present form. jmo
Old 12-30-2007, 03:39 AM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If I was Buddy, I'd return the car to stock and just trade it in, sell the parts later to recoupe some of the cash. It's a great car, but one with a widely publicized internet story, that makes it a hard sell. With a car that modded, you're wooing a very small fraction of the car buying audiance. Guys in this group tend to shy away from a car with any hint of 'a story'. I'm sure Buddie's a great guy and the car is nice, but it's gonna be a hard sell in it's present form. jmo
I agree on what Chris said. I personally would not buy a modded 996TT. Im sure there are folks that would. Your best bet is to put it back to stock and sell modded parts later. You'll probably get more like that.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Well,

For all you internet super heroes who just had to save the day, I have deleted my for sale post on 6speed and would not sell this car to a member of 6speed or a member here unless I personally knew you.

This was never about selling my car, I don't even really want to sell the thing but Momma won't allow both cars in the house so I have to at least appear to be trying.

This whole thing comes down to people thinking they know me and my integrity when they don't. I have many friends on 6speed and maybe one or two here. I have met tons of great people through the forums and some I consider friends I have never met.

But when people start questioning my honesty and integrity it just pissed me off big time. Couldn't tell could you?

Anyway I have no beef with AS I will gladly buy your lunch. I will be a lot less active on 6speed and I am not real active here so have no fear all your efforts have succeeded.

Buddy
Old 12-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

loose lips sink ships,...... again.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

You know, It's sad...

I've been victom to exactly what Buddy's gone thru. Reading this makes me understand better how I must have come across over in the RR section and on Dorkiphus.

Bottom line is when people attack you online it will never end well... I for one am a roll up the sleeves and chat face to face kinda guy whose Irish heritage makes me want to defend myself any time some nitwit calls me out on something... And it never ends well...

I hate to see you go Buddy, and I've enjoyed reading your posts on 6speeds. That said, I can certainly see why you'd throw up your hands and said "F" it...

Hope you cool off and come back around to both sites.

Mike
Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Ruf-Racer
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default Foolin' Momma?

YGBSM

Happy New Year

R
Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

E36-M3Rick
Hello, I did not received your PM. Can you try it again, or email me at zamoraal@aol.com
Thanks again...AL Z
Old 12-30-2007, 11:41 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope this thread is finished, and I'm sorry if I sent it on its downward spiral.
But, what is YGBSM? AS

Quick Reply: Purchase of BuddyG's Turbo on 6spd