Sponsored by:

Snow tire/wheel questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:18 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Snow tire/wheel questions

With winter arriving here this weekend (over a foot of snow) I am looking at what model snow tire do you guys run (those that drive in inclement weather that is).

Do you go down a size in the wheel as well? Any recommendations on what wheels to go with?

Here in Boulder, CO we get some decent snow every now but the snow doesnt tend to stay too long, so driving around on full snows isn't paramount. I do however need something a little more than all-seasons.

If any of you have pics of your cars with the wheel/tire choice please post.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Blizzak LM-22s on OEM hollow spoke 18X8 and 18X10 wheels with 15mm H&R spacers in the rear. Narrower in the rear wheel is recommended (stock is 18X11) for better snow traction and increases the available selection of tires. I considered using Nokian WRs on my stock wheels, as they have a great reputation in snow but are not really snow tires.

The LM-22s/LM-25s aren't an aggressive snow tire like a Blizzak WS50/60 or a Nokian Hakkepeliitta. More than all-seasons, but not full snows. They call them "performance" snow tires. Check out the Tire Rack for info. The LM-22s handle decent in the dry and are pretty quiet. Pirelli and Continental also make similar tires.

Here they are on the car yesterday:

Old 12-09-2007, 11:00 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just kept my stock 18s and put on Pirellis. See below for some discussion of which tire is best.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/379451-blizzaks-vs-snowsports-yep-winter-tires.html
Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have complete winter listings for 996 and 7 in the wheel/tire forumns. Or give me a call.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason M
Blizzak LM-22s on OEM hollow spoke 18X8 and 18X10 wheels with 15mm H&R spacers in the rear. Narrower in the rear wheel is recommended (stock is 18X11) for better snow traction and increases the available selection of tires. I considered using Nokian WRs on my stock wheels, as they have a great reputation in snow but are not really snow tires.

The LM-22s/LM-25s aren't an aggressive snow tire like a Blizzak WS50/60 or a Nokian Hakkepeliitta. More than all-seasons, but not full snows. They call them "performance" snow tires. Check out the Tire Rack for info. The LM-22s handle decent in the dry and are pretty quiet. Pirelli and Continental also make similar tires.

Here they are on the car yesterday:

How did the Turbo do in the snow? I know that the AWD of the Porsche's do well depending on the depth of the snow but interested to know how the 996TT did with it. I plan on using the Turbo for a daily driver until the snow gets to be too deep or the holes in the road begin to show up.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:54 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Turbos are great in the snow. You can pick up a set of extra solid rims dirt cheap and just have a set ready each season. I think TT gasman is selling some solids dirt cheap right now, just intime for winter.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

It has done great so far, but I haven't been through anything more than 4 inches deep yet. I've been up in Boulder and Louisville the last few days, and no problems with the snow from the weekend or what came down last night. I wouldn't want to try it without snow tires however.

The only annoyance is when the PSM cuts in on the rare occasions it has broken traction. It is a little abrupt relative to the traction control on my other cars. It also is a major killjoy when throwing the car into kick-*** rooster-tail-throwing four wheel drifts....good thing there is an off button!

I'm very happy with the overall performance in the snow so far. Snow and road slush does seem to build up in the intakes a little bit, and like every other car you need to knock the crud out of the wheel wells periodically.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:25 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

The 996tt on snows is perfect, and in fact as good a snow car as dry weather car. The limiting factor is the height of the chin spoiler. I have had to use it to plow the snow getting uphill into my drive, but up to about 5 inches, no problem.
I use the Pirellis with the narrower rear rims 9and spacers from Tire Rack. That works well, as dry performance is also very good.
The only annoyance is the traction contol causes static on the radio when you push the car and it activates the PSM. It's sure-footed, controllable, and reliable. The only car I have ever driven that was even better in snow was the 964C4 on snows. It's absence of assistance allowed all sorts of antics.

Have fun!! AS
Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have oem rear wheels from a 966 C4S in excellent condition if you are interested, please PN me, would be perfect for snow tires

Quick Reply: Snow tire/wheel questions