Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UMW LWFW / Sachs Clutch install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 PM
MGS996
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMW LWFW / Sachs Clutch install (pics)

Installed my UMW LWFW / Sachs clutch package Tuesday. Total remove & install took 8 hours. Not an enjoyable job reaching the top part of the gearbox. (Need rubber like arms).

Very happy with the outcome….car now revs quicker in the lower rpm range. With the removal of the dual mass FW car definitely has more mechanical noise (as expected).

Kevin: Thanks for the kit (very happy you also supplied the shorter FW bolts).

Old 12-06-2007, 02:58 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

You should have also received the new pressure plate bolts??

Nice job.. I'm going to be posting some install pics in a bit..
Old 12-06-2007, 07:54 AM
MGS996
Racer

Kevin, you are 100% correct, also received the pressure plate bolts (which I installed).

Look forward to the installation pics / notes. After which I will realize the install was possible in 6 hours !!!
Old 12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great kit...I have a bunch of months on it with Kevin's torque code....

No issues at all, hot weather and cold, up and down hill...

Jeff
Old 12-06-2007, 05:40 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

what benefit does a lwfw provide over the oem type..? what performance increase do you really get?? i've heard that the engine revs faster, but does that translate in quicker 0-60 times...what about longevity does it wear any quicker. sorry if some of these questions are dumb, but would like to know if the results warrants the costs involved and the additional engine clatter noise.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Manny if you look at the pictures you can see the 28 lb dual mass. There is a picture of the factory RS flywheel. It weighs 9lbs.. There have been customers that report back and say that it's like bolting on a 30HP mod.. Due to the free RPM revving, and the crisper shifting.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:58 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

kevin: what about longevity...does it wear any quicker than stock and also does it help people like me that still has difficulty sometimes with the clutch engagement. how much do you sell the entire kit for lwfw and clutch? thanks.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The wear is going to be the same.. The clutch disk is built stronger.. Infact the new 997GT3RS has this very same clutch in as stock.. Ask the guys in the forum, buy I have had guys not even tell there wives.. My wife easily manipulates the clutch..

The cost is $1,975.00
Old 12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

thanks kevin...i've been thinking of getting myself a nice christmas present...
Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
No issues at all, hot weather and cold, up and down hill...

Jeff

I agree, it's a great package; however, I find that the LWFW requires more attention when launching on a hill. Also, if the AC is on, there have been times when the rpm's decrease rapidly enough when the clutch is depressed, that the engine spins down below idle and shuts down. These are really no big deal IMO, but they present issues that are not present with the OEM package.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:00 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dock
Also, if the AC is on, there have been times when the rpm's decrease rapidly enough when the clutch is depressed, that the engine spins down below idle and shuts down. These are really no big deal IMO, but they present issues that are not present with the OEM package.
what do you mean this no big deal...this would be an issue to us in hot climates where we use the ac constantly. the last thing i want is having to worry that the car is going to stall. is there a way that the computer can be re-programed to avoid something like this..
Old 12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by manny_g
what do you mean this no big deal...this would be an issue to us in hot climates where we use the ac constantly. the last thing i want is having to worry that the car is going to stall. is there a way that the computer can be re-programed to avoid something like this..
I have the UMW software...and don't stall. I did, once, stall going uphill in reverse...but I may have done that anyway. It was really steep....very challenging for anyone IMHO.

Guys, car is more aggressive, weight goes down, and in theory it "may" wear a bearing within/on the engine less..

In the hot summer here, not an issue.

YMMV.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-06-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by manny_g
what do you mean this no big deal...this would be an issue to us in hot climates where we use the ac constantly. the last thing i want is having to worry that the car is going to stall.
Like it's not hot here in "Hotlanta"?

I have GIAC programing, but the off-throttle "below idle" shut down issue would I think be present in all applications.

If I give the car a hard throttle blip (throttle on - throttle immediately off) with the clutch in or the transmission in neutral (to give someone standing around an idea of what the EP exhaust sounds like), the rpms will sometimes fall below idle rpm even with the AC off.

What's the answer to these issues? I carry a touch of throttle in these situations to ensure the rpm's ease down and stay above idle.

I think the improvements in performance are worth the minor change in my driving techniques.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

how is the clutch pedal with this clutch package.

i ask because the factory setup has the pedal too soft. so what does further lightening do to the clutch pedal (if anything)? my thought is that it should have no effect on the clutch pedal as the pressure plate and clutch are similarly weighted. It is only the flywheel, which weighs less but that wouldn't effect pedal feel. am i right?

I wish there was a way to get a slightly firmer pedal (not as firm as the gt3)...

Cheers,
Boris
Old 12-07-2007, 02:39 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dock, do you want your RPM hunt fixed.. PM me.

The new clutch has a higher clamp force. In the picture, you can see the heavy metal. When put together, the pedal feel is consistant. However, it engages quicker. The force that you foot needs to depress the pedal is the same.

Quick Reply: UMW LWFW / Sachs Clutch install (pics)