PPI MD-Baltimore Area Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM
techlogik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI MD-Baltimore Area Please

Looking to buy a 2001 996TT. 49K miles.

Located NW Baltimore, MD, Finksburg to be exact.

Need a PPI this week if possible. Porsche dealer do PPI in MD? Or competent PPI Porsche shop of course.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Len Stoler Porsche is probably the closest. They are in No. Baltimore---Owings Mills, MD.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:34 PM
930chas
Instructor

Atspeed Motorsports in Hanover is highly recommended. I, personally am a fan of having PPIs performed by competent Indy shops, but can also understand the argument for using a reputable dealership. It just seems that the Indys are a little bit more thorough in their evaluations. good luck.

http://atspeedmotorsports.com/
Old 12-04-2007, 11:45 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh welcome to the world of Baltimore Porsche. I would NOT recommend Len Stoler. Their service is absolutley horrendus, and the service advisor I had was a complete moron. After a week they couldnt find a steering rack leak that was dumping PS fluid all over the bottom of the car. I took it to an INDY they laughed at the fact that they couldnt find it.

I have heard good things about Porsche of Silver Spring and Atspeed but I have not yet delt with either.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:32 PM
techlogik
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys.

Also looking at one in Orlando, I can drive to that one myself...
Old 12-05-2007, 02:28 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Only expert mechanics on a 996TT should skip the PPI, and even then a third party will look at the car without the emotional "wow I gotta have it" of the buyer. Me, even with what I have learned from owning one of these and the forum(s)...would get a PPI. In Baltimore, At Speed looks superb based on their track experience....heck, they may already "know" the car. I've taken engines apart (not this car) and working in motorcyle tranny's...done tuning....welded and been a machinist. And I am mini detail oriented...I just could not get the "wow" out of my head....just me.

Good luck. Me, people say get the PPI or don't get the car around here. Many say it was the best 200 or so they ever spent.

JB
Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
techlogik
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Only expert mechanics on a 996TT should skip the PPI, and even then a third party will look at the car without the emotional "wow I gotta have it" of the buyer. Me, even with what I have learned from owning one of these and the forum(s)...would get a PPI. In Baltimore, At Speed looks superb based on their track experience....heck, they may already "know" the car. I've taken engines apart (not this car) and working in motorcyle tranny's...done tuning....welded and been a machinist. And I am mini detail oriented...I just could not get the "wow" out of my head....just me.

Good luck. Me, people say get the PPI or don't get the car around here. Many say it was the best 200 or so they ever spent.

JB
Certainly I am getting a PPI on any Porsche I am considering seriously.

What I meant is that I can look it over in person since it is close. Then I can decide whether to even do a PPI after an initial deal is struck. Which I did today. No PPI required, paint work on the right side front/rear fenders from what I could tell on the local one. Oh well, 180 round trip drive and time wasted, guess that is how it goes.

I passed without even test driving the one locally.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 11:09 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool. Good luck. I think the 996TT is a wonderful car. It is the first car I have ever owned that made me progressively happier I bought it.....I find myself enjoying it MORE. That is new to me....8 Audi quattro's (two S4's) and a 993 included. 993 was about the same...had to sell to buy the house....don't count that one against me. 996TT is way better for what I want in a car...again, just me (DD, kids, torque).

Near DC stuff: turbo performance center (TPC) might do PPI's..they have a good rep and they get "into" the cars for racing....so they may know a car's modding history....

Anyway, I misunderstood you and meant nothing more than that....forgot the ins and outs of getting the car (the going to see it part). My error.

JB

Quick Reply: PPI MD-Baltimore Area Please