Sponsored by:

stereo install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:49 PM
SeattleDL
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stereo install question

I was hoping for some advice on installing a Kenwood DNX 7100. I have an '01 996tt with PCM and I suspect the answer is pretty easy, but this is my first install of a car stereo.

I have 6 speakers (dash, doors and rear), but the 7100 has only 4 wires for speakers (front and rear). How do I connect these?

I did buy the wrong harness, but can splice things in once I know the 4 for 6 answer...

thanks for any advice, much appreciated...
Old 11-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist..

There are some good Stereo shops that work on our cars..

I would NOT cut/splice the harness. When you sell the car, it is a area where shops check to see if the factory harness got hacked..
Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM
vyper340
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattleDL
I was hoping for some advice on installing a Kenwood DNX 7100. I have an '01 996tt with PCM and I suspect the answer is pretty easy, but this is my first install of a car stereo.

I have 6 speakers (dash, doors and rear), but the 7100 has only 4 wires for speakers (front and rear). How do I connect these?

I did buy the wrong harness, but can splice things in once I know the 4 for 6 answer...

thanks for any advice, much appreciated...
I had mine installed so I can't be of help. You will love the DNX though!
Old 11-29-2007, 11:59 AM
SeattleDL
Track Day

Thanks guys

I'm keenly aware of my limitations on this and am going to abort the mission if it isn't very straightforward. I do appreciate the advice.

Kevin - you have a pm, I'm hoping to bring the car up to Bothell soon.

dave
Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Dave sent you a email from UMW..
Old 11-30-2007, 01:27 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i'm going through the same exercise at the moment. the amp is 6x40 watt in my car. so you have 6 channels of amplification. so the question is are you using the deck's power or the stock amp or an aftermarket amp?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:09 AM
SeattleDL
Track Day

I'm going to go with the stock amp - I had thought that the amp was integrated into the PCM/NAV unit.

Someone recommended using the Metra 70-1787 harness and the RCA outputs from the DNX-7100. It sounds like that may be the trick - going shopping at Fry's tomorrow.

Does that sound like what you're doing?

thanks much
dave
Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi, the rca setup wont do you any good. The stock amp doesnt use rca. I dont know if you can find any adapter to convert a normal rca radio to the porsche wiring. I doubt it. You will have to buy an aftermarket amp. then run to your speakers in any configuration you want.
You could use the door and dash speakers in parallel and use the rears direct. If you have the bose system, you can buy a 5 channel amp and run the woofers as subs.
But if you dont know what I'm talking about, you are going to have to have a pro install everything. This wouldnt be a first timer job.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:03 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There are three alternatives - i can think of.

1. the stock amp uses "low level" inputs, but unfortunately they do not have rca ends (as stated above). So if you want you can solder rca connectors on the ends. Then you can use the stock amp.

2. running the door and dash speakers of two channels (left & right). which means combining the wires in parallel.

3. buy a new amp. the alpine pdx 4.100 is the amp i purchased for my setup.

I listed the above options in order of most difficult from an installation perspective (in my opinion). But i'm super handy with soldering, so for me that's a piece of cake. You may be able to call becker/harmon kardon and get a harness adapter to convert to rca's. but i'm not sure...

Hope that helps.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:22 PM
SeattleDL
Track Day

Thanks everyone for the help.

I used the Metra harness without a problem. The DNX7100 has 2 sets of rca outputs which connect the metra to the blue/yellow/green plug and the black plug (power,ground,etc).

This let me use the stock amp - and no cutting of anything...

Wired the ipod to the hinged console.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: stereo install question