Sponsored by:

996 C4 Cab w/blower or 996 TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Jackel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 C4 Cab w/blower or 996 TT

Hi all. My lifelong (realistic) dream car has always been the Turbo Cabriolet. But, after owning my first Porsche (a used 2001 996 C4 Cabriolet), I now feel that what I have, with TT power levels, would be ideal. I wanted to see what opinions you have of the EVOMS modified IC Supercharged 996 vs the TT. First off, I know that a Turbo Cab is preferable to mine with the blower. That said it will cost me about $12,500 to upgrade to about 420 HP and 360 torque and mine is the narrow body so I'll still be a couple hundred pounds lighter. I was told (by EVO Motorsports) that I can get another 10-20 HP with a full exhaust for a few grand more (all prices include install, test, and tuning).
I realize a TT can be modded to 700+ HP, but I'll be working just to get the $15k I need for this and it seems the Turbo Cabs are still well into the 70-80 k range (about 30k more than mine). So, to me, this seems like a good deal. I get the car I already love (and have "gotten the kinks out of"/know is dependable), still use it as my Daily Driver, and have a little better speed than a stock TT (which, btw is still awe inspiring )
I realize I'll hit the max power for this car and am only a little faster than the TT, but I love the Convertible and need the AWD (I live in Colorado).

Besides, I can buy all this AND a brand new 2008 Hayabusa Motorcycle for less than what it would cost me to upgrade to a TT.

Thanks for your opinions. I envy those of you with the cash for these TT beasts!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well to each his own....

IMHO I'd wait until I had the cash for a TT. The car you have now will not be worth even one dime more than it is right now. All the money you put into it is lost. In fact it could devalue the car. Yes you will be in TT area as far as power goes but still will not be in a TT.

Plus you certainly will have more trouble with a car as modified as that would be with the SC.

Finally I believe that if you always have wanted a TT (like all of us) then this will satisfy for a while but you will eventually discover that you will want a TT still.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would it be faster then a TT
Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Jackel
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimq
Why would it be faster then a TT
200+ pounds lighter, same or slightly higher HP. This would only be against a COMPLETLY stock TT of the same year. Also, only in the acceleration area, my handling is good enough for me (don't know how that compares, mine is lighter but narrower).

Don't care about top speed, I'll probably never see it anyway...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

A modded C4 is never a TT. The engine and trans are completely different, the turbo platform has the components engineered to handle the power output.. With the tuning kits today the turbo platform will yield you more power. I'd even go to say that with a good tune and exhaust, a turbo would walk away from the SC car.

Comparing a C4 to a turbo, plus the weight of the SC components wouldn't net one 200lbs difference.

Like Slant said, in the end you might just end up realizing that you wanted the turbo.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slant911
Well to each his own....

IMHO I'd wait until I had the cash for a TT. The car you have now will not be worth even one dime more than it is right now. All the money you put into it is lost. In fact it could devalue the car. Yes you will be in TT area as far as power goes but still will not be in a TT.

Plus you certainly will have more trouble with a car as modified as that would be with the SC.

Finally I believe that if you always have wanted a TT (like all of us) then this will satisfy for a while but you will eventually discover that you will want a TT still.
+1 also isnt the C4 a wet sump instead of dry sump, ie non GT1 engine platform.
I would not do it.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

you are going to spend alot of money on the sc and ultimately want the tt. i was in your shoes approximately one year ago and decided to wait and get the tt. i've never looked back. also think about resale. you are not going to get your money back and as said elsewhere here might depreciate the value of your car.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:02 AM
MYSTRO
Advanced

Default More Power

I can relate, like yourself I dreamed of owning a turbo cab. I bought the C2 Cab at the time because I did not have the $90,000 or more to get the turbo. Now that I have it like I want,Full Techart, GT2 Tail, Custom MHT Wheels , Factory Turbo nose, etc I want more power. My car is a 2002 and with the EVO supercharger and exhaust it is supposed to put down 470 plus HP. Evolution clocked it at 11.8 seconds 0-120mph. I believe that it is much faster than a stock turbo 996 but with less torque.I am told that is about all I can get out of my car where as if I had a turbo the sky is the limit. This is my first Porsche and I told myself I would never sell it. I don't think there any many stock cars that will keep up with you on the street. For me that is fast enough at least for now, ( eventually I will purchase another sports car),When I want to go really fast I just borrow my brothers bike

Last edited by MYSTRO; 05-08-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:47 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The resale on any evo franken car is squat, as long as that's ok, then go for it. The only kit you would hold your money on is the Ruf, and it's 25k. But a sc car will never be a tt, I realized that a yr ago as well. There is a lot more to the turbo platform than a couple of turbos, as Kevin pointed out. Don't waste your money. You'd be better off trading your car with the cash you planned on spending on a sc and get a TT.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:56 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The resale on any evo franken car is squat, as long as that's ok, then go for it. The only kit you would hold your money on is the Ruf, and it's 25k. But a sc car will never be a tt, I realized that a yr ago as well. There is a lot more to the turbo platform than a couple of turbos, as Kevin pointed out. Don't waste your money. You'd be better off trading your car with the cash you planned on spending on a sc and get a TT.

Ditto...the SC also loads the NA engine in ways it was never meant to be loaded..... I thought about the TPC kit for my old 993.... same issues...said no and got the TT. Way better car....brakes, interior, suspension, VIN (resale)....

Good luck.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:02 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Super chargers whine like their owners who get beat by turbo cars......
Old 11-18-2007, 02:23 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

A factory-installed supercharger is a different proposition from an aftermarket installation. You could be opening yourself up to a whole new world of problems. Your car may well be worth less after the installation. Some magazine tests have been less than stellar, and there is no guarantee you will experience all of the promised benefits. The "tested" car may have modifications much different than the one you will be buying.
If you are happy with what you have, keep it that way. If you want the next step up the ladder, I would think waiting for the day you can buy a tt is the better answer. AS
Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If your looking for more power...then a TT is the only way. Simply put A TT can be so much faster then a SC NA 996. You also need to look at this as a reliability issue, not all SC kits will give you this but so far the guys I know people that SC'd their NA cars have nothing but issues...CEL's all the time..
I was also in a position like yours and I loved my NA 996 but the car lacked power, after really looking into getting power out of that car , it was just too much money for what I wanted. I Ended up with a TT and did a stage 2 kit by FVD.....I have played with my buds 996 SC and its pretty embarrassing for him, now I am not comparing the too and I am not trying to insult the guys with SCs but its what I have seen first hand. As for resale value, its nice to say you will never sell your first Porsche, but in reality it will be worthless no one i know would ever buy a used porsche thats been supercharged, unless its a deal of the century.There is A lot more to a Turbo car then just the Turbos.....Think about it.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not only will you be throwing away $15K, you might also be losing some additional value as some would think that the overall value of the car is decreased as they might think that the 996 engine is trashed due to the stress that the blower put on it. By the way, not sure that you can pick up a TT CAB for $70K-$80K; at least not for a few more years.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just sold a supercharged 993 and felt that sooner or later the SCer's added pressure would blow up the motor. I bought a turbo and chipped it and it's in a whole other league. Way more torque and acceleration.

Quick Reply: 996 C4 Cab w/blower or 996 TT