Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks guys..

This is a race exhaust.. However, the sound quality is of great importance.

Some folks think that the best tuned "Quiet" exhaust is to loud and drones.. For those folks I just don't think that this system will help you.. I'll work with you on getting a system where you can hear or test. However, for most of us who have wifes and children that ride with us, I think that this system will fit the bill.

I have received a few emails asking if there will be drone with the final mufflers removed.. The answer is "Yes" at a certain RPM. But if you have a race helmet on, I don't think that you will hear it.
Please note that there is no performance loss with the final mufflers installed. They are free flowing. The idea of removing them is to increase the overall volume of the system.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 AM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

Man, we just drove down from Oregon thru SanFran. Wish I could see and hear that baby in person.

Ted K
Old 10-23-2007, 01:32 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Please note that there is no performance loss with the final mufflers installed. They are free flowing. The idea of removing them is to increase the overall volume of the system."

Your correct about the Mufflers. I can see a balance pipe helping, but I cannot see that "X" connection doing anything but adding huge pressure issues. Exhausts like no restrictions. That "X" connection, unless internally there is something we cannot see, will hurt you not help you. Another note, the exit pipes from the mufflers could be smaller at the tip than at the entry. This alone cuts down on the noise.

I remember at College, studying Exhausts and their effects. We studied Pipe Organs and how noise is changed with Pipe diameters and how the change in diameter over a given length changes the wave amplitude and frequency. Nothing new here. Go to Church and learn we were told.

BTW, its good to see Jeff's Mufflers being put to good use. Coast Fabrication have made many of my Exhaust systems over the years and these have been incorporated often. He used these on a system he built for me, (thro Performance Developments)on a Diablo I had many years ago. That engine put them to work.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 AM
T Kono
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 87 Posts

I always thought a proper "x" pipe lessened pressure spikes(and therefore overall pressure) in the two exhaust sides by providing an "escape" exit alternately - left/right/left, etc. - assuming the firing order alternates between the two banks. Yeeshh! I am obviously not an engineer.

Ted K
Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Simon, we are limited by space and clearances. If you look at all of the major exhaust manufactures including Porsche, the internal exhaust passage is turned 180 degrees. In order to provide sound reduction with significant dB levels being reduced this was the design choice. However, while this system might take a little hit in back-pressure with 3" tubing vs other manufactures at 60mm thru 70mm.. With the larger diameter Cat's and 3" used thru the entire system back-pressure will be at a minimum.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 AM
sker66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin........Have you done any Dyno testing and comparisons at this time?
Any you can post?............G
Old 10-23-2007, 02:17 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dyno testing comparing to what??

Other exhaust systems?

I have benchmark dyno numbers from various "other" manufacturer that I have tested..

I also need to mention that I have not lost the faith with Europipe exhaust. I feel that it is a spectacular exhaust system. I have asked Stef to help me with a higher flowing exhaust system, but it just never came to pass. One can only drive so far, running catless or with straight pipes.. This system is designed to bridge the gap on the higher HP engines.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:29 AM
sker66
Advanced

Yes..........I would think this method of comparison would help you towards your end goal. I imagine Europipe would be targetting stock and mildly modified cars while you appear to be targeting medium to highly developed cars. Keep up the good work Kevin and thanks again for sharing your knowledge base.
Cheers......G
Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I always thought a proper "x" pipe lessened pressure spikes(and therefore overall pressure) in the two exhaust sides by providing an "escape" exit alternately - left/right/left, etc. - assuming the firing order alternates between the two banks. Yeeshh! I am obviously not an engineer."

Correct and many other factors as well. I'm concerned that these pipes do not form and follow conventional "X" patterns, and therefore could hurt and not help. Dyno testing will show. As stated, room is an issue. I hope I'm wrong here, as there is room for more good systems. US made helps too.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

I'm curious to know how the x could hurt. Do the turbos completely "smear" the exhaust pulses out in time such that the pressure at any given point post-turbo is more or less constant? If not, and assuming the firing order alternates between the banks, we won't have left and right bank pressure pulses crashing into each other at the x. One bank's pressure peak should hit the x simultaneously with the other bank's pressure valley.

One thing is for sure, my ears prefer the sound of left/right blended systems over those that isolate the banks.

Jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM
C DeVito
Racer

I agree I don't like the sound of twin 3 cylinders running at the back of my TT and prefer a crossover design. Do we have a target price yet?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The target price is going to be around $3,800 to 4K. This will vary depending on options.

BTW the weight of this system is around 30 lbs. Subtract 6 lbs with the lower muffler delete/test pipes installed.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just awesome looking!!
Old 10-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Tom996
Intermediate

Kevin, this system on the stage 4 will be killer, I hated the test pipes on my car....this exhaust will keep the wife happy as well which is a +.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks new Race exhaust