Some Questions on Engine Faults

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Some Questions on Engine Faults

Hi Guys,

I have been having an intermittent problem with the check engine light coming on every so often and needing to be reset by the Dealer (dont feel any deterioration in engine performance).

Fault identified has been under the DME fault memory P1349 Camshaft adjustment, bank 1, intermittent (if that makes any sense).

The camshaft position 1 deviation was 1.76deg crk compared with the camshaft position 2 of -3.17deg crk (Apologies but these numbers mean very little to me). The guys have said that it is not a serious problem yet, and given they dont have time to drop the engine yet and check and adjust the timing of the engine suggested that I run around with the car as is till 1st November.

Engine has about 76,000km (48k miles) of which about a thousand has been on the track.

Couple of questions please:

Is it ok to run the car in this condition as the dealer claims?

Whilst the engine is dropped for timing, are there any key areas that you all would suggest I get checked and potentially replaced to prevent any catastrophic future failures?

Engine is currently lightly breathed on with modified K16s, fuel injection, exhaust and ECU running max 1.1 bar boost but I am in the process of bringing it back closer to stock for durability reasons.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Harold, do you understand the fault with your engine??

Have you had any problems with your tip, with shifting?

The reason I am asking the questions is because I'm trying to get to the source of failure vs risk ( or addressing your question for risk)

You engine camshafts are out of sync to each other and to the crankshaft. By itself the variocam will adjust and go into limp mode if the values get worse.

Driving your car without getting on it should not cause harm. Don't be racing anyone. I would also replace the sealing rings in your variocam module (both sides)
Old 10-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Harold, do you understand the fault with your engine??

Have you had any problems with your tip, with shifting?

The reason I am asking the questions is because I'm trying to get to the source of failure vs risk ( or addressing your question for risk)

You engine camshafts are out of sync to each other and to the crankshaft. By itself the variocam will adjust and go into limp mode if the values get worse.

Driving your car without getting on it should not cause harm. Don't be racing anyone. I would also replace the sealing rings in your variocam module (both sides)
Hi Kevin,

You are right, unfortnately had no idea what they were telling me... There is absolutely no hint at performance degredation and the only sign of a problem is the fact that the check engine light has come on, and when brought to the workshop the reading shows the fault.

No problems with the tip shifting eiher. Much thank for the feedback, I am a total ignoramus when it comes to these matters and am trying to educate myself at the moment.

Either way, wont be tracking the car until it goes in for the full check up.

Quick Reply: Some Questions on Engine Faults