Cool stuff Kevin,

I love the watercooled idea!!

Good luck,

MK
Old 10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let me take a guess at the turbine wheels. I don't know which are which but I'm guessing one wheel is from a 930, another from a 964 turbo, next a 993 turbo, a 996TT and the last one is from a 997TT. Maybe one is from a 944 turbo. How'd I do?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:27 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive work, Kevin! You should have the new turbo all dialed in at about the same time as I get bored with my K16 ZCs. Like probably everyone else here, I'm reeeeeealy looking forward to seeing and hearing the Stage 4, and reading about the performance metrics.

Congrats on some excellent engineering and fabrication!

Jeff
Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

Larry you guessed 3 correctly.. Now which is which.... I'll give you guys a hint. The top row far right is a Brand new casting. This is what a new compressor wheel looks directly out of the foundry.. The next process requires one to mount it in a CNC to finish cut the profile and punch the center bore. If you look closely I actually dropped this wheel and damaged a blade. Anyway this particular wheel cranks out 57 lbs per min.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Q8_TwinTurbo
AutoX

Great info Kevin,
Now we are all waiting for more info, dyno plots and performance data. Good luck with the next steps.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KPG
I'll take one of each! Watercooled center section.... what else have you been holding out on us? That is some beautiful hardware. I cannot wait to see them in action. Kevin
Speaking of waiting to see them in action, wth Kevin, are you going nuts waiting for your car to be ready or what?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:40 AM
markski
Racer

Very "cool" stuff Kevin... shoot me a set and Ill try them on.. LOL J/K.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Kevin,

57 lbs. Nice!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Acropora
Speaking of waiting to see them in action, wth Kevin, are you going nuts waiting for your car to be ready or what?
Brad, it would be disingenuous to tell you I wouldnt rather be driving my car right now. My wife missed her PCA Ladies Day with our local PCA club and I am still in the doghouse over not having the car available. At the end of the day it comes down to this...do it right or do it quickly. In my mind they are mutually exclusive in a build like this. From the outside it seems like there has been a long wait and it has but it is still much shorter than some other builds. Tom and I know the reasons behind the delays and why they have occured. The heads are a perfect example. Those heads alone were a 5 month project by themselves. Could I have told Kevin just clean them up and ship them and I could be running right now...sure. It would not have accomplished what I was looking for which was a great flowing head that doesnt sacrifice the bottom and middle rpm. Chasing a peak flow number is alot easier than what we did.
The heads were being ported 50 thousandth at a time and then reflowed each time to document the gains WE were looking to achieve. Kevin had a set of Porsche RSR heads that were flowed to be used as a comparison. Those heads are arguably the best porsche has to offer. They were our benchmark. Our turbo heads litterally kicked the **** out of those heads up to around .400 lift when they could not keep up with the huge port size. That huge port size also makes them have very little tq down low but we came close to having our cake and eating it too. So now we have heads that are done and flowed and the numbers are in hand.... well then it was decided to custom profile cams to match those specific flow numbers. That took more time. You can see how easily the Summer can pass you by. How will all this work when it starts producing numbers? I have a real good idea but until it does the numbers it hasnt done the numbers. These are just some of the bigger decisions made that delayed the project. We arent even talking about the custom crank work, case work, rods, intake, MAF project, or Kevins myriad combinations of turbine wheels, turbine housings, compressor housing or countless compressor wheels...At the end of the day I can afford to this right and do it once....I really cant afford to do it over.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Tom996
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KPG
Brad, it would be disingenuous to tell you I wouldnt rather be driving my car right now. My wife missed her PCA Ladies Day with our local PCA club and I am still in the doghouse over not having the car available. At the end of the day it comes down to this...do it right or do it quickly. In my mind they are mutually exclusive in a build like this. From the outside it seems like there has been a long wait and it has but it is still much shorter than some other builds. Tom and I know the reasons behind the delays and why they have occured. The heads are a perfect example. Those heads alone were a 5 month project by themselves. Could I have told Kevin just clean them up and ship them and I could be running right now...sure. It would not have accomplished what I was looking for which was a great flowing head that doesnt sacrifice the bottom and middle rpm. Chasing a peak flow number is alot easier than what we did.
The heads were being ported 50 thousandth at a time and then reflowed each time to document the gains WE were looking to achieve. Kevin had a set of Porsche RSR heads that were flowed to be used as a comparison. Those heads are arguably the best porsche has to offer. They were our benchmark. Our turbo heads litterally kicked the **** out of those heads up to around .400 lift when they could not keep up with the huge port size. That huge port size also makes them have very little tq down low but we came close to having our cake and eating it too. So now we have heads that are done and flowed and the numbers are in hand.... well then it was decided to custom profile cams to match those specific flow numbers. That took more time. You can see how easily the Summer can pass you by. How will all this work when it starts producing numbers? I have a real good idea but until it does the numbers it hasnt done the numbers. These are just some of the bigger decisions made that delayed the project. We arent even talking about the custom crank work, case work, rods, intake, MAF project, or Kevins myriad combinations of turbine wheels, turbine housings, compressor housing or countless compressor wheels...At the end of the day I can afford to this right and do it once....I really cant afford to do it over.

AMEN BROTHA!!! It will be worth the wait & ....sooon
Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Come on folks.. I guess my compressor wheel fun isn't going to well..

I'll throw in another hint. The lower row, far right compressor wheel is a MHI TD05H-18G
Old 10-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that puts me out of the game because those numbers mean nothing to me. I was going to say K16, K24, K26.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You guessed the frame size of the wheel K24 and K26 is correct..
Old 10-17-2007, 05:06 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin
I'll throw in another hint. The lower row, far right compressor wheel is a MHI TD05H-18G
Aha... that 18G.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
new Stage 4 turbine wheel (K26 frame size) in a machined water-cooled bearing housing ( water-cooling to reduce heat transfer thru the turbine wheel to bearing surfaces).
The 993 forum just called to say you are wasting your time with this black magic voodoo crap.......air cooled RULES

No matter how much more efficient water cooling is

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks experimental water-cooled K26/26