Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High-Pitched Whining Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 AM
rfl
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would almost bet is the power steering resorvoir. i had very similar symptoms. just had the resorvoir changed at the dealership at a tune of $1k. not covered under cpo. there is currently a technical bulliten out by porsche regarding this issue. a technical bulliten is not a recall. good luck
I picked up the car two days ago after several days in the shop. My local dealer changed the steering fluid reservoir (the subject of a 2005 TSB, as others helpfully pointed out) under the CPO warranty. I guess I was lucky that it did not cost me anything. Best of all, no more whining sound!
Old 10-05-2007, 10:05 PM
turbolou
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

Originally Posted by mpclimber
Agreed. It sounds like the power steering resevoir.

The only other high pitched whining noise from the passenger side comes from the wife, which is far more costly to replace.
LOL!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:09 AM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2003 with the same whine - but only very sporatically. Would the cost of replacement be assumed by the dealer?
RFL - I also live in Westchester. Which dealer did you use?
Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dmilzoff
I have a 2003 with the same whine - but only very sporatically. Would the cost of replacement be assumed by the dealer?
He uses Pepe, as do I. But I'm never thrilled with their service (they're just very convenient for me). Who do you use and do you like? GBG
Old 10-07-2007, 07:33 PM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

I bought my car at Pepe.
I use Prestige in Palisades for service. I like there service dept. One of their men tracks his own car. They are 'mod friendly'. They know of my chipping of the car and have done warranty work without a problem.
I was wondering if the repair of the power steering fluid reservoir would be covered under warranty for a 2003 car.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:27 PM
GBG
Pro

Good to know about Prestige being mod friendly. Is getting a loaner car for a service visit a PITA over there?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 AM
dmilzoff
Rennlist Member

No. Call and make an appt. They have loaners for free.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 AM
GBG
Pro

Originally Posted by dmilzoff
No. Call and make an appt. They have loaners for free.
Thanks David. I'm going to give Prestige a try next month when I'm due for an oil change.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:51 PM
rfl
Advanced

Pepe, as GBG already said. My first experience with them was not great, but my second visit was much better, and both repairs (leaking oil seal gaskets and whining steering fluid reservoir) were covered under the CPO warranty. If you do not have the whining sound consistently, then maybe it is a different problem. Rev the car to 3000 rpm in neutral with the engine compartment open for 30 seconds and listen for a sound coming from the steering fluid reservoir (upper passenger side of the engine). If you have the sound and it goes away immediately upon stepping on the clutch, then it probably is the reservoir.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Scott & Renee in VA
Racer

Guess I'll post this in this thread too...

Just got our car back from the dealer, they replaced the power steering pump. By the time I got home (closest dealer is 1+ hours away), the whining was back. When I push the clutch in the TONE of the whine changes but it doesn't stop.

What's wrong now? I called and they said they are going to contact Porsche to see what else can cause it.

They replaced:

Power Steering Pump
P/S O Ring x 2
P/S Bracket
CHF 202 (?)

They claim the car is safe to drive with the new pump but it is still whining loudly (I think only when it is warmed up)... Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:58 PM
rfl
Advanced

Just got our car back from the dealer, they replaced the power steering pump. By the time I got home (closest dealer is 1+ hours away), the whining was back. When I push the clutch in the TONE of the whine changes but it doesn't stop.

What's wrong now? I called and they said they are going to contact Porsche to see what else can cause it.

They replaced:

Power Steering Pump
P/S O Ring x 2
P/S Bracket
CHF 202 (?)

They claim the car is safe to drive with the new pump but it is still whining loudly (I think only when it is warmed up)... Any ideas?
I think the whining noise comes from the steering fluid reservoir. I am not sure if that is necessarily changed when the pump is changed. Maybe they are part of the same unit. When they replaced my reservoir a few weeks ago the sound went away and has not returned. I do not yet have the documentation for the work, which was done under CPO warranty. Once I get that, I will post specifics about what parts were replaced.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:06 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Scott, when this issue first surfaced a couple of years ago, I recall others getting the pump replaced and still having the whine...I remember because I was glad it worked for me. Perhaps search the old threads to see what they did.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 339 Likes on 225 Posts

Did they replace your accumulator which is located on the clutch slave cylinder?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 PM
rfl
Advanced

Did they replace your accumulator which is located on the clutch slave cylinder?
According to the repair order on the whining sound:

"cause: as per bulletin 1/05-4897-4

48971906 expansion tank removed and reinstalled

997-314-920-30 AS steer. oil tank

000-043-206-56 Pentosin CHF202 (1 L)"
Old 08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
adam699
1st Gear

Hey Guys....Is this the sound you are dscribing or am i looking at a different issue??

I got no power assist what so ever. It spits the fluid out and the sound is a bit lower pitched than on the video. It is a 2002 911 turbo tiptronic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ax73nuVVws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4J4DEJQzM

Quick Reply: High-Pitched Whining Sound