Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold weather tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick follow up on the snow tires. I'm using the Porsche recommended tire sizes of Perelli Wintersports on a 10 inch rear rim (required a spacer to fill out the wheel opening...anything from 18mm to 25 mm would look good) and stock front rim. They look fine...are surprisingly good on dry pavement, and very quiet. Last week drove in 4+ inches of snow...some not cleared, and it drives beautifully. This is a wonderful winter car, with heated seats, a heater that really works, and goes through the snow no problem. If you are missing your turbo...get some snows and take it out of storage.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:26 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Pirelli Snowsport 240 are the way to go: The only N-rated Porsche approved winter tires in the right size for a widebody 996 when using the 8x11 rear wheels. Fronts are 235/40/18, rear are 295/35/18. Slightly higher sidewall than the summer tires and the ride is a bit softer, but it works great in the white stuff and the rolling diameter between the front and rear stays more or less the same so there are no issues with PSM or ABS. Had this set-up last winter and the car handles better in the wet, ice, slush, etc... than any SUV I've ever driven. BTW: got my set with the advice from Damon at Tirerack AND I checked with the parts manager off my local dealer to make sure it was the right advice.
+1 for Pirellis. Got 'em on now and really like them. GBG
Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Perelli's work great. Only difference is i mounted them on stock wheels. Looks a little funny but works fine.

Quick Reply: cold weather tires