Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 996TT Connecting Rod Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:08 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, I'm not planning on doing anything, I'm just curious to how long this kind of job would take.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 AM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Kevin, you really are a bizarre man!

I asked a simple question "how long would this project take to do" and for some strange reason you refuse to answer, it's like you don't want to tell someone your little secret! I don't know why as you posted the DIY 996TT Rod Project.

You really do act very strange sometimes.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:03 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Kevin, you really are a bizarre man!

I asked a simple question "how long would this project take to do" and for some strange reason you refuse to answer, it's like you don't want to tell someone your little secret! I don't know why as you posted the DIY 996TT Rod Project.

You really do act very strange sometimes.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Steve it's really easy.. Call you local Porsche dealer and ask them what the labor rate for a full engine overhaul. There isn't a printed "time rate" for removing the rods shown with this method..

What you don't realize is, most Porsche dealers and many shops will not install rods like I have shown without splitting the engine case.. If that is the case then you have 95 hours into your project..

For myself it is irrelevant the labor rate in term of a hourly number. This isn't like changing a oil filter or waterpump. Again for myself it is done as a quote or job total.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:36 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Kevin what you don't seam to realize is that the UK labour rate at Porsche is £120 per hour ($240 US)

It is still a simple question and I don't understand why you are trying to avoid it!

I can't see a problem as you posted the project and called it a DIY, so why not give some kind of time indication?

Very strange indeed!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:59 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are a first timer the rods are not going to be a problem. FWIW I have been installing rods this way for 15 years. Some shops and dealers will argue you can't do it this way and all they are doing is showing their ignorance.

You better take a lot of pictures of the intake, wiring and pluming to the hydraulic system and vacuum lines. There is a good days of routing and several if it is your first time. The liners and cylinder assembly is going to take special tools and time. I will tell you that a day ALL DAY may be the time it takes you if you have no experience. You will more than likely slip the rings when trying to finsh the final assembly with the liner. Bottom line, could be a real 100 hours. Not for the faint at heart.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

First off Steve, to do this project you first have to find a qualified shop or person that will do this job.

I DO NOT sell this job buy a hourly RATE.. I have mentioned this twice already.. It is done as a JOB-QUOTE.. In ENGLISH this mean that I will quote the job as service.. Again the labor rate that you are seeking is irrelevant, because it doesn't exist. In the Porsche labor guide, this job exists "ONLY" as a engine overhaul.

Doing a rod replacement project like this requires nearly $1,500 in gaskets and $600 in aux hardware. Let alone custom services like cylinder head work.

WTF.. You have called me Bizarre, now my repies to you are Strange Indeed.. Would you like me to remove this thread for you..
Old 12-02-2007, 02:33 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Kevin all I asked was a rough idication on time scales, which Stephen has kindly given me, what the hell was so bloody difficult about that? You need to have a word with yourself man, I asked a simple question for gods sake, you post the whole DIY project up surely it's not one of your many little secrets about how long it would take.

BTW if it's a qualified person why have you labelled it DIY, do you know what that means?
Why would I want the hourly rate or Job-Quote, I don't want you to do it! your still avoiding a simple question HOW MANY HOURS ROUGHLY? You should remove the thread, why show and tell if you can't answer a simple question!

YOU ARE STRANGE
Old 12-02-2007, 02:35 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Thanks Stephen for the Rough time of 100hrs
Old 12-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

100 hrs for a short cut? loose lips sink ships.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:32 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Im actually really bewildered with whats just happened on this thread and it's put me in a right old funny mood!

I'm not wanting to have any beef with Kevin and I do respect his work and all that, but I was just asking a simple question.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
100 hrs for a short cut?
If you personally were going to pull the motor for the first time and try this....YOU would be lucky to get in under that time. Even if you had built 911 motors of past generations you still would find that the time it takes is up there. Yes, it is a short cut, saves you at least 10-20 hours. Depends if you are actually blueprinting the motor or just a person who assembles.

Start adding headwork, valves, springs, porting, flowing, head gaskets, dowels etc the time just goes up. Not to mention once you take everything off even in detail you will find some things simply can not go on prior to something else being in place
Old 12-02-2007, 06:37 PM
996TT_STEVO
Racer

Cool Stephen, I'm not doing it or plan to do anything at the moment, It was possibly something down line as you know I have a spare motor, as I said, it was just a rough indication on time! Thanks for taking the time out to tell me.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 PM
roadsterdoc
Advanced

Stevo- don't be disuaded, but people do not realize how complicated the assembly process of 96TT/GT3 motors is. It is nothing like rebuilding any other engine. Just the cost of the special tools required will make most DIY'rs change their mind. I've rebuild OHC inlines and V-8s. Talking to a Porsche technician about the process made me decide it is not I am willing to do to my car, unless like you mentioned, I have a spare.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

ok but where I come from 100hr is over 1/2 a month to do this job? and this is for an experienced tech? ok.

Quick Reply: DIY 996TT Connecting Rod Replacement