Type II overrev

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 02:56 PM
NewYorkBuck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type II overrev

Ques all -

Will Porsche certify/warranty a car if there are any Type II overrevs? Is this check even part of their warranty inspection? Also, if there are TII OR, does the computer record the date/time as well?

Thx in advance.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
jeff996tt
Intermediate

Yes Type II overrevs will void the warranty for abuse reasons. Porsche is very picky with their warranty. They first look at the car and think how the problem could have happened. If they suspect abuse at all they will check for computer codes like Type II overrev and void the warranty. They also report this to Porsche under your VIN so you just can't go to another dealership. I purchased a used Porsche 996tt and it had a CPO warranty. I asked them tons of questions about the warranty as I have blown an engine in all of the vehicles that I have owned except for the old Mercedes 240 Diesel. The dealership said that the warranty covers only faulty equipment not abused or tracked equipment. The only nice thing is if you buy a used vehicle the Type II overerevs do not get removed from the ECU, they stay forever. I would have the dealership check the car for Type II overrevs if you are buying a used Porsche.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:11 PM
KPG
Pro

CPO vehicles can and do come with type2 overrevs. My car had a couple of 2's in the first couple hours on the engine clock. I have had some CPO warranty work done from the minor to the major and never has Porsche mentioned those type 2's. Your best plan in dealing with PCNA and warranty claims is a solid relationship with your dealer. They will shape the direction of most warranty claims. A gift certificate during the holidays goes a long way. Kevin
BTW, the ECU only records the most recent type 2 event and it relationship to overall engine hours, but it catalogs total type 2 overrevs.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

while what Kevin said above is true, if you are looking to buy I would still avoid a car with type 2 over rev's, so many cars to choice from at great prices you can be picky.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:47 PM
KPG
Pro

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
while what Kevin said above is true, if you are looking to buy I would still avoid a car with type 2 over rev's, so many cars to choice from at great prices you can be picky.
Tom is right ... still a buyers market. You need to find a car like the good Doc's X50... one that has been babied and only driven on sunny Sundays Kevin
Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
Will Porsche certify/warranty a car if there are any Type II overrevs?
Make sure the dealership documents the number of Type II overrevs before you make your purchase and get it in writing that they will warranty the engine with the existing Type 2 overrevs. Any major warranty item usually will require your service advisor to get approval from a district service rep @ PCNA so it won't matter how good you think your relationship is with the local guy, it's not always their call.

Quick Reply: Type II overrev