Sponsored by:

996 TT vs 997 S

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 10:28 PM
ccoleymd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 TT vs 997 S

I'm in the market for either a 996 TT or a new 997 S model. The 997 is really a nice overall vehicle; BUT the power from the 996 TT is very impressive! I guess my real question is what are the downsides I should look for in a 996 TT? What mileage ? What mechanically do I need to look in to before purchasing a 996TT?? If I buy one, I want one with no more that 30K miles. Is there any major difference in the year models (2002-2003)?
Thank you.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Talking

Observation from a non-TT owner get the 996TT. There should be a lot less depreciation of the TT compared to the newer 997S. The performance is better and the engine performance potential with mods is MUCH greater! To me the TT is a much more prestigious car, too.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:14 PM
turkish_eyebrow
Advanced

I just sold my 997 C4S and I have been looking at the 996 Turbos as an affordable replacement. I have driven a half dozen turbos now.

Observations:

The 997S is more comfortable. The C4S does not have as much under-steer and seems a bit tighter than the stock 996TT.

In terms of power, the stock 996 TT is very noticeably more powerful in every respect. The turbo lag took some getting use to - but the 997 variocam kicks in around the same time and produces a similar, albeit less powerful, feel.

In terms of price, my 997 C4S hardly depreciated in the year that I owned it. I have seen some very good deals on the 996TTs.

Hope this helps.

Oz

Last edited by turkish_eyebrow; 12-24-2006 at 12:16 PM. Reason: SpP
Old 12-24-2006, 01:28 PM
tdub
Instructor

Tough call.
I was in the exact position a few months ago.
You can't go wrong with either car.
The 996tt was my eventual choice.
They're (hopefully) done depreciating. At least the bulk of it.
They're VERY fast.
They have the GT 1 derived motor. For me this was the biggest plus.
I like the interior better.
Look for a good one and you can't go wrong.
I was able to find one with under 5k miles and still smelled new inside.
Take your time and find the right car, don't be in a hurry.

The 997s is an awesome car though!!

TW
Old 12-24-2006, 03:52 PM
ccoleymd
Instructor

Thank you. I have made up my mind to look for a 996 TT. What specifically do I need to watch out for in these cars that might cause a problem - mechanically? What are the service recommendations for these engines? Obviously, I'd like to find one with low miles and still under warranty!
Old 12-24-2006, 07:14 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm lucky enough to have one of each flavor and as much as I like the 997S, I'm a sucker for the power. Also, I think the 997 depreciation IS greater and will continue to be as compared to the older 996TT going forward. I feel that the 997 IS more refined, more comfortable and generally more capable(notwithstanding the go and the stop) and is more confidence inspiring than my 996TT. BUT the 996TT is hardly uncomfortable an again, I love the power thae gives you a command in many situations that is hard to match. Prestige: the TT is always greater. Fuel and maintenace economy....the 997 for sure.

Lastly; I have to say that prior to the 997S......this would not have even been a question worth considering. But the 997 is a really, really great car that is hardly slow and has great 911 character ( not as good as the air cooled cars) but ever thing is a trade.

My $.02.....hope it helps.
MK
Old 12-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Diamond Blue 4S tip
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MK19
I'm lucky enough to have one of each flavor and as much as I like the 997S, I'm a sucker for the power. Also, I think the 997 depreciation IS greater and will continue to be as compared to the older 996TT going forward. I feel that the 997 IS more refined, more comfortable and generally more capable(notwithstanding the go and the stop) and is more confidence inspiring than my 996TT. BUT the 996TT is hardly uncomfortable an again, I love the power thae gives you a command in many situations that is hard to match. Prestige: the TT is always greater. Fuel and maintenace economy....the 997 for sure.

Lastly; I have to say that prior to the 997S......this would not have even been a question worth considering. But the 997 is a really, really great car that is hardly slow and has great 911 character ( not as good as the air cooled cars) but ever thing is a trade.

My $.02.....hope it helps.
MK

It is hard to argue with someone who owns both cars! Nice stable, MK!
Old 12-24-2006, 08:48 PM
tdub
Instructor

Sorry to re post, but a few other thoughts for you that I feel are important to your purchace.

DEFINITELY drive both cars!!! I can not stress this enough.

They are very different!

The 997 is tighter and has a lot more of the Porsche sound than the tt.

Half the fun of your purchase is trying to decide. I'd own both if I could.

That one poster that has both is a frickin' HERO!!!!!!

It's even a harder choice than the blondes vs. brunettes debate.

TW
Old 12-24-2006, 09:01 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many of us had the same thoughts.........hum....gee the 997S and the TT used are in the same price range so..........? There is NO comparison in performance or engine build between the two cars the TT is FAR superior. So see my avitar if you need any more help.
Just for my own education how is the 997 "more comfortable" or more capable. Does it have a statistically significantly better stopping distance, skid pad g's, what? just would like to know the things that one would consider a 997S has that may be superior in ANY way to the TT.
Coming from a guy who also made the decision the poster presented, maybe I missed something?
tom
Old 12-24-2006, 09:08 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

TT for sure.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:14 PM
turkish_eyebrow
Advanced

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Many of us had the same thoughts.........hum....gee the 997S and the TT used are in the same price range so..........? There is NO comparison in performance or engine build between the two cars the TT is FAR superior. So see my avitar if you need any more help.
Just for my own education how is the 997 "more comfortable" or more capable. Does it have a statistically significantly better stopping distance, skid pad g's, what? just would like to know the things that one would consider a 997S has that may be superior in ANY way to the TT.
Coming from a guy who also made the decision the poster presented, maybe I missed something?
tom
I had a 2000 996 and then purchased the 997 C4S Cab. In terms of comfort I noted the following:

1. The standard leather seats were more comfortable (wider and more supportive).
2. The location of the steering wheel also seemed more ergonomic.
3. The shifter was smoother.

In terms of capability, the 997 was certainly more capable in every respect compared to my 996. In driving the 996 TT, however, the main thing I noticed was that the 997 AWD was more balanced (less understeer) than the 996TT AWD. In terms of ultimate handling, I have not loged enough time in the TT to opine.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Old 12-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
tom
From my search, on the comfortable side the seats were more supportive, and the quality of the interior materials seemed nicer. And everyone agreed the suspension was improved stock vs. stock. It turned faster race laps than the 996 it replaced.

Now like most of us here, the HP wasn't enough, the NA cars don't have much grow room due to the 6 cyl design, and we can cheaply (or in Tom's case NOT so cheaply )mod the suspension to be a better handling package.

I had to have the Porsche at the top of the food chain. The 997 was nice.....any Porsche Turbo is a legend
Old 12-25-2006, 09:19 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shark

I had to have the Porsche at the top of the food chain. The 997 was nice.....any Porsche Turbo is a legend
Guess that says it all!!!!

and since I have GT3 seats all the other stock versions seem inferior so I guess I cant comment on comfort.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:03 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

I had an '05 SY Carrera S and traded it in on an '03 TT with 7K miles. The S was a nice car and I loved it, but you just can't reproduce the turbo power and potential for high hp. I'm still glad I made the change.

Last edited by FlyingLow; 12-27-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FlyingLow
I had an '05 Carrera S and traded it in on an '03 TT with 7K miles. The S was a nice car and I loved it, but you just can't reproduce the turbo power and potential for high hp. I'm still glad I made the change.
Cant see how anyone would not feel this way comparing a normal car to a supercar? That certainly was my impression. And my impression was stock vs stock. comparing even a lightly modded TT to another NA porsche to me is a joke. Just my 2 cents no reply needed...

Quick Reply: 996 TT vs 997 S